By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The problem of hyping unreleased games

Tagged games:

sales2099 said:

Its a good thing that this problem is locialized "within a certain group of fans across all three consoles, some more then others". One should take steps to hype games realistically and not call AAA quality blindly.

If the game is destined to be great, like Halo 4, then hype away I say!

lol did a mod edit this? It was pretty accurate before.

Around the Network

true, if i recollect the hype for certain kinect games...

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

miz1q2w3e said:
sales2099 said:

Its a good thing that this problem is locialized "within a certain group of fans across all three consoles, some more then others". One should take steps to hype games realistically and not call AAA quality blindly.

If the game is destined to be great, like Halo 4, then hype away I say!

lol did a mod edit this? It was pretty accurate before.

No that was me, and thank you :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Do Sony fans hype a lot of games? Yes and some of the hype probably isn't warranted. However, I have seen them hype games that deserved it on a few occasions. I am thinking of Valkyria Chronicles mainly. Too bad turn based strategy games are more of a niche so the title never exploded in sales that it deserved.  At least it got past 1m.

Sony fans are like vampires, everything they feel is heightened by 10

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

Do Sony fans hype a lot of games? Yes and some of the hype probably isn't warranted. However, I have seen them hype games that deserved it on a few occasions. I am thinking of Valkyria Chronicles mainly. Too bad turn based strategy games are more of a niche so the title never exploded in sales that it deserved.  At least it got past 1m.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I don't think "you end up selling the crappy game to people that trust you to point them to some good games" is accurate all the time. In certain cases games come out that are just fine albeit not ground breaking but still can't satisfy that pedestal hype and get smashed anyways as if they were garbage. Happens to every single Final Fantasy, and the trend will continue. Pretty sure it's going to happen to Halo 4, and Tales of Xillia may fall victim to I believe.

I don't see the problem with hyping games. There's always an element of mystery when hyping unreleased games. Are you suggesting that people only hype games that are already released? That seems like a strange mentality, to say the least. When unknown games are hyped, sometimes the games are great and sometimes they end up being mediocre. Sure, you could fixate on the mediocre games and say hyping is wrong, but for every mediocre game, there's a great game that makes it worth it. Of course it's risky and mysterious to hype unknown games, but that's what makes hyping so exciting; you have no idea how the game will turn out, but you're anxious for the release nonetheless.

Galaki said: