By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's play Monster Hunter Tri together (Next: Friday at 9 Eastern 6 Pacific)

RolStoppable said:
cyberninja45 said:
RolStoppable said:
I always liked the switchaxe the most, because of its power and because you can't block with it. But once I looked up a FAQ, I realized that the attack stat is divided by a different number for each weapon category and in the end all weapons have similar strength. I lost all interest in Monster Hunter, because I consider it offensive when numbers are used in such a misleading manner. Oh, and of course the game is super duper repetitive.

The element on the weapon is what really matters the most when guaging its effectivness against monsters not really the number, and also alot of different factors, but if you can only rely on a simple number system to each his own.

It works something like this (using non-elemental weapons as example): The attack stat of switchaxes are divided by 5 while the attack stat of lances is divided by 1.5, so a switchaxe with an attack stat of 500 is basically equal to a lance with an attack stat of 150.

It's complete garbage. The player is shown that switchaxes are significantly more powerful, but in reality they are not. The game logic of Monster Hunter can only be understood by reading up a FAQ, because the game uses an inconsistent system that is not transparent at all.

Basically the number on the weapon is for its class, not overall.

As noname said their are alot of things the game does not tell you but you eventually figure them out (hopefully) if you keep playing.

And as I said in an earlier post this game is not a pickup and play type of game its designed for people who are going to put alot of hours into it.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Around the Network
cyberninja45 said:
RolStoppable said:
cyberninja45 said:
RolStoppable said:
I always liked the switchaxe the most, because of its power and because you can't block with it. But once I looked up a FAQ, I realized that the attack stat is divided by a different number for each weapon category and in the end all weapons have similar strength. I lost all interest in Monster Hunter, because I consider it offensive when numbers are used in such a misleading manner. Oh, and of course the game is super duper repetitive.

The element on the weapon is what really matters the most when guaging its effectivness against monsters not really the number, and also alot of different factors, but if you can only rely on a simple number system to each his own.

It works something like this (using non-elemental weapons as example): The attack stat of switchaxes are divided by 5 while the attack stat of lances is divided by 1.5, so a switchaxe with an attack stat of 500 is basically equal to a lance with an attack stat of 150.

It's complete garbage. The player is shown that switchaxes are significantly more powerful, but in reality they are not. The game logic of Monster Hunter can only be understood by reading up a FAQ, because the game uses an inconsistent system that is not transparent at all.

As noname said their are alot of things the game does not tell you but you eventually figure them out (hopefully) if you keep playing.

And as I said in an earlier post this game is not a pickup and play type of game its designed for people who are going to put alot of hours into it.

Combining a deceptive damage system with the fact that you can't see exactly how much damage you're doing per hit is not going to be good.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

RolStoppable said:
cyberninja45 said:
RolStoppable said:

How do all the other weapons stack up?  Now I'm curious... I had no idea the game fudged attack stat numbers like this.

That's some fucked up shit, lol... All this time I thought stats meant something.

MoHun 3 Ultimate preorder CANCELLED.

RolStoppable said:
Kenology said:

How do all the other weapons stack up?  Now I'm curious... I had no idea the game fudged attack stat numbers like this.

Great Swords are divided by 4 and since they start out at around 400... you guessed it, they are just as strong as lances in reality.

The attacks you perform also all have individual and invisible multipliers. Like a normal horizontal swipe may multiply the damage value by 0.75 while a charged attack with the Great Sword may be multiplied by 5. And a vertical attack with the GS may be multiplied by 1.25.

You really need to look up a FAQ, if you are interested.

It's gotta be more complicated than this, though, or else weapons that can attack quicker (sword and shield, longsword, lance) will always trump the ones that attack at a slower rate (the rest).

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
cyberninja45 said:
RolStoppable said:
cyberninja45 said:
RolStoppable said:

Combining a deceptive damage system with the fact that you can't see exactly how much damage you're doing per hit is not going to be good.

I think people here are trying to match MH system with that of an RPG. MH is not an RPG I repeat MH  is NOT an RPG.

As I said many other factors play a part, most important your play style.

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:

It's gotta be more complicated than this, though, or else weapons that can attack quicker (sword and shield, longsword, lance) will always trump the ones that attack at a slower rate (the rest).

It is more complicated than that, because there are a lot of decimal numbers and it has been two years since I read that garbage. Most of the stuff evens out at the end, so ultimately you should choose the weapon you are most comfortably with. As a general rule, the quicker the attack is to execute, the harsher the multiplier is.

It's an awful system all around, because the only way to optimize your play is by studying FAQs. The game just doesn't give you feedback you can work with (like showing you how much damage you do with different kinds of strikes).

Its not that complicated. I never looked up an faq on any of that stuff but and was able to understand most of it by just actually playing.

Edit- Actually if an faq detailed that stuff they are actually bsing the person, as I said it more depends on your play style. For example if you looked up an faq for say Street Fighter and the person detailed the level of health each person move did and how it is affected in your combos, cause SF actually a somewhat similiar multiplier system per combo and per move, would you really care? Most likely not because you choose a person depending on your play style and how it suits you.

So why would someone put this in their faq of MH as I said MH is not an rpg.

RolStoppable said:
cyberninja45 said:

Its not that complicated. I never looked up an faq on any of that stuff but and was able to understand most of it by just actually playing.

Sure... I totally believe you.

Doesn't matter if you do or don't. And I edited my post.

The question here being: why deceive us with the numbers? Simply rate all weapons the same, and we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I agree it's very much based on your play-style versus the specific monster, but there's no need to put in all this pro-rating and stuff.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

RolStoppable said:
cyberninja45 said:

Edit- Actually if an faq detailed that stuff they are actually bsing the person, as I said it more depends on your play style. For example if you looked up an faq for say Street Fighter and the person detailed the level of health each person move did and how it is affected in your combos, cause SF actually a somewhat similiar multiplier system per combo and per move, would you really care? Most likely not because you choose a person depending on your play style and how it suits you.

So why would someone put this in their faq of MH as I said MH is not an rpg.

SF shows health bars, so the player is getting direct feedback on how much damage each attack does and can adjust his playstyle accordingly in order to get better results. It's not comparable to Monster Hunter at all.

And Monster Hunter is an RPG. It doesn't have experience points, but countless weapons, armors and items.

I am fully aware SF has health bars and I deliberately did not mention it because I was referring to characters that people choose to play within SF more often than not is determined by their playstyle not who does the more damage.

Unless you play by who does the more damage which I said to each their own in an earlier post.