By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter Says He Isn’t A Fan Of (Cough! Bipolar) Wii U, And Thinks Third-Party Support Will Be Dire

I just dont understand the hate from Michael Pachter. Its like Nintendo did something so awful to him that he will never forgive them.

Around the Network

If 3rd parties are going to treat Wii U like Wii, what`s Lego City, Batman, ME 3, Bayonneta 2, Darksiders 2, etc. doing there?

Viper1 said:
Ajescent said:
Viper1 said:
Ajescent said:
Where does "Bipolar" come into this?

It's in reference to the fact that just recently Pachter gave a lot of priase tothe Wii U and said it would be successful.

Is that Bi-polarism? I'm not up on the illness so I don't know the ins and outs. I would assume it made him indecisive no Bi-polar

People that are bipolar tend to have huge mood swings which can make them positive on a subject one minute and then negative about it the next minute.  It's usually in reference to themselves but it gets projected onto extrernal factors as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

Yeah...but I think it's a massive leap to call a guy Bi-polar just because he likes to change his mind.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
Viper1 said:

People that are bipolar tend to have huge mood swings which can make them positive on a subject one minute and then negative about it the next minute.  It's usually in reference to themselves but it gets projected onto extrernal factors as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

Yeah...but I think it's a massive leap to call a guy Bi-polar just because he likes to change his mind.

I think he's just being facetious rather than trying to suggest a literal psychological disorder.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

he must of never played it before because looking at the screen and the TV is not an issue at all

Around the Network

Let me try this.  Let me try to defend Pachter.

Amidst all the success the Wii had garnered, despite all the acclaim, in terms of the Gametrailer crowd and all the 'Core' gamers, it's not lived up to their standards.  Standards from a online point of view, of third party point of view, of the persons who buys 15+ games during a calendar year. 

Wow, this is hard.

What I think Pachter is looking for is the 'oomp', the selling point, the clear cut driving seller for the console.  Given that the Gamepad is far more advanced than a second screen on the DS; it's been done.  I believe that thats the stitch that looms his reasoning.  From an analyst point of view, I think he expects more from a new generation console.  With all the rumors for the Sony and Microsoft next gen consoles, he expects Nintendo to be on par with the possible tech that they'll have--whatever it may be.  He's just not expecting that the 2 screen combo is revolunary as the possible virtual reality Microsoft might have( If you believe in that leaked transcript for the next xbox).

As for Third party support, he has a point.  Nintendo does best because they understand their product.  He's looking back at all the third party developers for the Wii and let's be honest, it was all mostly waggle.   

There's no reason to say that the Gamepad can't be implemented to be a genuine gaming experience, but history shows 3rd parties don't know what to do with it.  Just look at the Wii balance board.

Pachter, despite his tough treatment of Nintendo's Wii U, I think is just simply tough love for Nintendo.  Why, because he's an analyst and he has to be.  Nintendo is the hardest working company at driving the Video game industry.  For him to say that he isn't a Fan of Wii U, is him saying that it won't drive the industry towards higher success.  Of course he's a little more easy on Sony and Microsoft, but that's because they're the younger brothers of the games industry.  They look at Nintendo for guidance(a little too much, but I'm trying to be poetic).  

I'm not a complete fan of Pachter, but I respect his position in the games industry.  Whatever we may think of him, he is a member of that industry and a distinguished member at that.  He comes out every so often and says something about current trends and his opinions of it.  At the moment, he's not a fan, but since he is a fan, things can change. 

What I really want to know is what his opinion on Nintendo TVii.  Quick, someone ask him that question and CC Rohan.

Ouroboros24 said:

Let me try this.  Let me try to defend Pachter.

Amidst all the success the Wii had garnered, despite all the acclaim, in terms of the Gametrailer crowd and all the 'Core' gamers, it's not lived up to their standards.  Standards from a online point of view, of third party point of view, of the persons who buys 15+ games during a calendar year. 

Wow, this is hard.

What I think Pachter is looking for is the 'oomp', the selling point, the clear cut driving seller for the console.  Given that the Gamepad is far more advanced than a second screen on the DS; it's been done.  I believe that thats the stitch that looms his reasoning.  From an analyst point of view, I think he expects more from a new generation console.  With all the rumors for the Sony and Microsoft next gen consoles, he expects Nintendo to be on par with the possible tech that they'll have--whatever it may be.  He's just not expecting that the 2 screen combo is revolunary as the possible virtual reality Microsoft might have( If you believe in that leaked transcript for the next xbox).

As for Third party support, he has a point.  Nintendo does best because they understand their product.  He's looking back at all the third party developers for the Wii and let's be honest, it was all mostly waggle.   

There's no reason to say that the Gamepad can't be implemented to be a genuine gaming experience, but history shows 3rd parties don't know what to do with it.  Just look at the Wii balance board.

Pachter, despite his tough treatment of Nintendo's Wii U, I think is just simply tough love for Nintendo.  Why, because he's an analyst and he has to be.  Nintendo is the hardest working company at driving the Video game industry.  For him to say that he isn't a Fan of Wii U, is him saying that it won't drive the industry towards higher success.  Of course he's a little more easy on Sony and Microsoft, but that's because they're the younger brothers of the games industry.  They look at Nintendo for guidance(a little too much, but I'm trying to be poetic).  

I'm not a complete fan of Pachter, but I respect his position in the games industry.  Whatever we may think of him, he is a member of that industry and a distinguished member at that.  He comes out every so often and says something about current trends and his opinions of it.  At the moment, he's not a fan, but since he is a fan, things can change. 

What I really want to know is what his opinion on Nintendo TVii.  Quick, someone ask him that question and CC Rohan.

I like this post.

I can't believe that I'm essencially in agreement with the Pachter here. Which is the most convincing argument that I'm wrong that I've seen yet.

But yeah...
1- not powerful enough to pull the core from their existing consoles
2- not novel enough to pull casuals from their ipads

So does this mean Smartglass will fail too! Foot in mouth again Pacman.

Ok, now all is right in the world again. Pachter had great things to say about the Wii U a couple of weeks ago. Now he's trolling again. This is great news. We need Pachter to hate on the Wii U.

Now let's watch it become a success.