By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are you Pro-life or Pro-choice?

Another problem is gender selection most abortions outside of the U.S. are usually based on Gender. In the U.S. its more a form of birth control. But in India 90% of all abortions are against female babies so they must be developed enough to tell the sex!

Also partial birth abortions I would think most people abhor this practice unless your Hitler or Saddam.

But I would say that what makes a human all of our individual triats and characteristics are given to us from our parents.

Egg meet sperm. after conception all you need is food and time till 9 months later presto a baby! All the genetic code is there upon conception.

I personnally like Ted Turners analogy" if its human why dont people name thier miscarriages"! Shows you why Jane dumped him. A lack of personal concern for the many women and men who have suffered from this.
I believe we can argue until the sky falls and we will never change anyones mind. I have gotten a lot of pro choicers to agree that partial birth abortions is horrible and even people using abortion as a from of birth control is wrong. All great civilizations rise and fall on a moral compass this is ours! America has seen her best days! the lack of values will be her down fall!

PS Final Fan dont read this the large block text syndrome is hard to break and Iam not a writer! Hows the weather in Minnesota by the way!

Around the Network

"if its human why dont people name thier miscarriages"! "

Funny thing is (well, maybe not "funny"), lots of people do, depending on when the miscarriage happens (whether they had a name picked out or not.)

Witty signature here...

Wii: 14 million by January  I sold myself short

360: 13 million by January I sold microsoft short, but not as bad as Nintendo.

PS3: 6 million by January. If it approaches 8 mil i'll eat crow  Mnn Crow is yummy.

With these results, I've determined that I suck at long term predictions, and will not long term predict anything ever again. Thus spaketh Crono.

Crono said:
"if its human why dont people name thier miscarriages"! "

Funny thing is (well, maybe not "funny"), lots of people do, depending on when the miscarriage happens (whether they had a name picked out or not.)

Some people have funerals, etc...

elprincipe said:
Helios said:
Is there any value in human life? No. Thus, there is nothing wrong with "murdering" a fetus.

Does that make it right to kill a man? Well, no, but it doesn't make it wrong either. One could make an argument against murdering sentient life. I, however, would not be one to make it.

Happily, you are in the small minority in this world.  Hopefully you either change your mind or at least don't act on these kinds of beliefs, or else we will have to pay for you to be imprisoned for the rest of your life after ruining someone else's.

Yes, it is quite sad, isn't it? Your entire argument rests on a single premise, which by no means is as certain as you make it out to be. I suppose I should expect no better from one whose philosophical knowledge is evidently lacking to the point where you mistake moral relativism with a lack of morals entirely...

Of course, Crono does not appear to grasp the concept either, so perhaps it is a American thing. I never could understand your culture. Like why you even care what happens to these kids - The goodness in your heart, or Christian indoctrination? The motivation; Now that's a moral dilemma!

Well I dunno helios, why do you care what happens to people around you? Why do you care what government does, and what laws get passed? Why do you care if you were even born?

Go do yourself a favor. Go out and rent/torrent "Its a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart. Its a Christmas themed movie, but the story is about how much impact one man can have on the lives of those around him.

Why do we care about aborted babies? Because each one is a life that could have touched hundreds of others. When you abort a baby, you deny someone not only the life of the baby, but also someone's friend, husband/wife, mother/father, brother/sister. The lives a person affects ranges much greater than just his own.

Its this same mentality that makes the "well, they're better off dead than in a poor home, or in an orphanage, or foster care" stupid. Nobody can see the future, but no matter what the child's circumstances, he/she will touch hundreds, perhaps thousands of lives. Abortion denies all those people the experience of ever knowing the person.

Witty signature here...

PS3: 6 million by January. If it approaches 8 mil i'll eat crow  Mnn Crow is yummy.

With these results, I've determined that I suck at long term predictions, and will not long term predict anything ever again. Thus spaketh Crono.

Around the Network

Well, that's an interesting question, actually.

First, you can't expect a human to remain impartial and faithfull to his ideology in practice. Just like Hume, I find that quite impossible. I will say that I care about this world because I live in it - Life is a fact, after all. I don't think it is a particularly good world, and I'm not stoked about the fact that I WILL eventually die, but I might as well make the best of it.

If I had never been born, I would not be sorry.

As for what you said, I don't have a problem with that. However, I personally don't deal with what-ifs. People might get happy, or they might get sad (Hitler 2), but ultimately, does it matter if these people are going to die anyway? For an atheist such as myself, not really.

In practice, obviously I would like it if there were no abortions, but if it is deemed beneficial to terminate the child, I would have no problem with that, either.

People keep saying a child is special? How? It's a biological function no greater than taking a shit, it just takes longer. It's natures trick for survival, that's all. I guess the argument really comes down to intelligent design/superior species vs. evolved/intelligent creatures. No one has a soul, nothing to feel guilty about. We didn't abort the second coming of christ, no worries. Really, I don't like abortion. I don't think its an OVERWHELMING PROBLEM, like some people make it out to be. Anyways, I'm pro-choice because I think most people can make their own decisions. I do recommend that we abort theocratic christians.

"theocratic christians"

Are there any other kinds? (Sorry, I was confusing "theocratic" with "theistic") Also bigotry is bad, mmkay. If I made the claim that all theocratic muslims should be aborted, I'd get eaten alive, and probably banned.

(Note, I don't claim that all theocratic muslims should be aborted).

Edited for clarification.

Witty signature here...

That's much better, Daddo Splat, thank you. I still disagree with the content, of course, but it's much more readable.

It was -2 F earlier (that's 34 below freezing) in the Twin Cities but it's up to 4 degrees now (-16 C). The wind makes it seem colder, though.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Crono said:
"theocratic christians"

Are there any other kinds? Also bigotry is bad, mmkay. If I made the claim that all practicing muslims should be aborted, I'd get eaten alive, and probably banned.

(Note, I don't claim that all practicing muslims should be aborted).
Yeah, non-theocratic Christians are the ones who think God is great but that really bad things happen when Church = State. They think that because history is full of examples bearing out that analysis.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!