By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - List Of Game Which Have Gone Downhill

Which Games Do You Think Has Gone Downhill ?

Resident Evil 54 25.47%

Silent Hill 17 8.02%

Final Fantasy 62 29.25%

Call Of Duty 27 12.74%

Assassin's Creed 13 6.13%

Fable 10 4.72%

Splinter Cell 4 1.89%

Dead Space 4 1.89%

Command & Conquer 11 5.19%

Others 9 4.25%

Total:211

There are games whom we loves and whom we hates.Some may thought having a sequel would be better but other think it is much more worser than the original games.So let look on some games which has been going downhill for many years.One more thing please don't flame me because my English suck because i am not that brilliant like you guys were.

This thread will be updated so don't worry if i miss out some games.

1) Resident Evil

When did the series died : After Resident Evil 4

Reason : After the first released of the resident evil game which is resident evil 1,many people tend to grew interest in it and marked it as a survival horror genre.Eventually it soon to become a classic survival horror game as more sequel and spin off are released such as RE : Dead Aim,RE 2,RE 3,RE Outbreak and others.

One of the best series that Capcom ever made is Resident Evil 4 which feature a third-person view,many hidden and unlockable secret,additional scenario ( ada campaign ) and still maintain those scary feeling in some parts.

However after years has gone by,Capcom had released another RE game which is RE 5,this is where the series gone downhill since you have a AI incompetent partner ( like to waste healing spray and ammo ),atmosphere that doesn't seems terrfying at all,no gory death at all ( well there is one where you get chomp into half but that all ) and other else.Many fans were pissed off at RE 5 for losing that RE feeling.

Though Capcom released a 3DS game which is Resident Evil : Revelations which pleases the fan since that game feel like going back to the old root but one greatest mistake that Capcom ever done is by releasing RE 6.It is by far one of the worst series ever ( worst than Resident Evil : Operation Racoon City since at least RE : OPC is a spin off ).Leon & Ada campaign is the only one that feel like the old resident evil but Chris & Jake campaign is one clusterfuck.The game focus way more on action,annoying quick-time event,disgusting camera view ( RE 4 & 5 camera view is way more better ) and different type of enemy that doesn't feel horrfying or original in any way.

If you go to metacritic website and search for Resident Evil 6,it explain a lot why is one of the worst series.Even though Resident Evil 5 also focus on action,there managed to keep those adrenaline rush feeling when you fight some bossess or mini-bossess especially the chainsaw dude.I can list a lot of reason why RE 6 is worst than RE 4 & RE 5 but it is better if you just try to rent the game or looked at some reviews before actually buying it.Everybody have different opinion.

2) Final Fantasy

When did the series died : After Final Fantasy X

Reason : What happened to the Final Fantasy series after Final Fantasy X ? Well i can tell you one thing for sure is Square Enix.Yes,before Square Enix takes all the glory,the original developer of Final Fantasy which is SquareSoft released a lot of good Final Fantasy game ( I-X ) which many people grew interest in.It is also known as one of those classic RPG games that many people will remember.

One of the series which step up is Final Fantasy VII by devilering us 3D graphic,memorable character,unique style of gameplay,memorable soundtrack,greatest villian of all time ( Sephiroth ) and the list goes on.It is one of the most favourite and overated series since it got many spin-off and even a CGI films ( Final Fantasy : Advent Children ).Those were the good times.

Each sequel Sqauresoft released began to get better and enhanced more experience into the series such as FF VII,FF VIII,FF IX,FF X.However when SquareSoft was gone,the new developer so called Square Enix take on the series and began developing more Final Fantasy game like it belonged to them.
One of Square Enix mistake is by releasing Final Fantasy XI.I mean WTF is this ? That games become a MMO RPG games that seems to be a rip-off from WOW.When it come to being innovative,this isn't the step that we fan of Final Fantasy expected to go.

Many people began to complain at that time where Final Fantasy XI become an MMO RPG so Square Enix began releasing Final Fantasy XII.That game is not bad though but i doubt it is even any better than what SquareSoft developed.Final Fantasy XII had some flaws though ( lazy to explain but it has something to do with the battle system ) but the reviews is fairly given and soon it turn out to be an OK series to me.

However one of the series that MOST people hate will be Final Fantasy XIII.Those who are new to the Final Fantasy franchise might like that game but for those who are fan of Final Fantasy are terribly dissapointed.It is by far one of the worst Final Fantasy series ever.Forgettable character,dumb-down battle system,the environment and atmosphere doesn't even suite to a Final Fantasy games,annoying character ( Hopes & Vanille ) and other.

They even make a spin-off series like they did with Final Fantasy X-2 but even more worst than Final Fantasy XIII.Why in God name we can only control 2 main character and one additional pets or monster when in battle mode ? It like they focus Serah and Noel more than the character in Final Fantasy XIII ( like being throw into a rubbish bin ).Story seems lame and once again annoying main protoganist that like to whine.

If that is not enough,they were planning to make another spin-off series to Final Fantasy XIII ( Final Fantasy : Lighthing Returns ) which feature Lighthing as a main protoganist.Before Cloud is even the most popular character in Final Fantasy,now they make Lighthing like their mascot.
Don't even get me started on Final Fantasy XIV.If that game even got mentioned i felt like strangling a pigeon.

How long will Square Enix continue to milk their franchise before even realising the mistake they done is going downhill.The only series that can redeemed the Final Fantasy franchise would be Final Fantasy XIII Versus.That the only game that most people are interested in but even that it seems like Sqaure Enix forgot and left Final Fantasy XIII Versus to rot like they did with Final Fantasy VII Remake.I rather see Final Fantasy being dead than having to continue to milk the franchise to a low standard games ~~

3) Command & Conquer 

When did the series died :  After Command & Conquer Generals

Reason : Ah my first ever RTS that i ever bought and spent a lot of time playing it.I love contructing a lot of turret and defences and build a large unstoppable army of forces which i could destroy the enemy base in a few second.Those were the good times i had playing Command & Conquer.The first Command & Conquer games that i ever bought was Command & Conquer : Tiberian Sun and spent endless hour playing the skirmish mode competiting with A.I

After playing the original i went on to Red Alert 2.Boy do i love that games so much especially when you could use superweapon such as thunderstorm,nuclear strike and other thing that the expansion pack added.I love how you need to require some smart tactics and strategy to defeat your opponent and not just rushed without all your army being killed or destroyed.

Before EA even acquire the Command & Conquer franchise,the original developer Westwood Studios make a lot of RTS games such as Tiberian Sun,Red Alert and even a FPS games based on the Command & Conquer franchise which is called Renegade.The multiplayer is awesome and each character you choose have different kind of weapon.If anyobdy is interested a game like Renegade,there is seems to be a remake to it but a different story.You could check it out at here : http://www.renegade-x.com/site/ 

However the Command & Conquer franchise has been bought by the evil developer called EA and Westwood Studios is forever no more.After the released of Command & Conquer Generals which is developed by Westwood Studios,things has been going pretty bad and EA began to milk the franchise even further.

It is cool that they make Command & Conquer 3 and Red Alert 3 but it is nowhere fun as what Westwood Studios developed.It seems that each franchise,they began to dumb down the franchise by removing some gameplay element.

Example would be Command & Conquer 4 : Tiberian Twilight which is known to be one of the worst among the series.They removed the ability for player to construct buildings,gathering resources and replaced it with some limited army for you to march in and captured each nodes as you progress through the levels.It is very repetitive and had no replaybility value at all.

Recently EA has announced a new Command & Conquer games which is called Command & Conquer : Generals 2.Some might think that it may actually played out like any other Command & Conquer games.It did but removing the single player elements whom we all love in RTS and replacing it with FTP ( Free To Play ) feature.Has EA followed the steps what Age Of Empires has taken ? This isn't Command & Conquer anymore but just some mindless online RTS ( no offence to League Of Legends player,i loved playing that game too but this is a different kind of story ).Either EA step up and developed the game like what Westwood Studios offered to the customer otherwise there will be a lot of hater and those lovely franchise would be well forgotten.

4) Silent Hill

When did the series died : After Silent Hill 3

Reason : How could anybody hate Silent Hill,it was well known as one of those classic horror game and it sent chill down your spine.Well ever since the first released of Silent Hill,many seems to grew interested into the franchise and also made as one of the TOP 10 PS1 GAMES.Silent Hill is arguelaby one of the best among the series as it had those eerie atmosphere,amazing soundtrack,great gameplay,touching story and other else.

Sequels has been made such as Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 and it improved vastly over a couple of years.Silent Hill 3 is the only Silent Hill franchise where you control as a female character known as Heather in search of the mystery of Silent Hill town.It is well developed with some of the monster that actually look terrying and the atmosphere where you felt like someone is watching you.It is known as the untouchables meaning to say that no other horror games could even match or dethroned Silent Hill 1-3

Another sequel has been made which is Silent Hill 4 : The Room.It still able to maintain those scary feeling but in some way it doesn't feel like a Silent Hill game but rather than a downgrade version of Fatal Frame or Siren.It pretty ok to say the least but at that time fan of Silent Hill were dissapointed how the game were made.

Eventually more sequel and spin-off series were made ( Silent Hill : Origins & Silent Hill : Shattered Memories ) to ensure that Silent Hill series stay alive.However after that incident happened,the original developer Team Silent left the Silent Hill series after the production of Silent Hill 3 and some random developer took over the franchise and somehow made it worst.

Silent Hill 5 : Homecoming is a story of a soldier known as Alex who venture into Silent Hill only to known about his past incident and in search of his brother called Joshua.It had lost those Silent Hill feeling by making the game a bit actiony.Story that is predictable and some enemy can easily be killed if you know the right weapon to use.In some Silent Hill games,ammo are sacare and you have the option to walk past them.Ending is quite dissapointing as you can find many games ending that actually look similer to that.

Now the most dissapointing series comes to Silent Hill 8 : Downpour.Needs i say more ? It just an improved version of Homecoming more likely a modification for me and you are restricted in handling 2 or more weapon.The atmosphere is somewhat resembled to Alan Wake and some escaping sequence where you have to escape some kind of vortex similer to Silent Hill : Shattered Memory but less frightening in a way.

I don't see how this franchise can get any better already even since Team Silent left the development of Silent Hill.However fan will always remember Silent Hill 1-3 as one of their horror series title.

5) Call Of Duty

When did the series died : After Call Of Duty 4 ( Modern Warfare )

Reason : Call Of Duty...the game where nowaday is still the most famous game in the world ( like Justin Bieber ) but however it is just another cash-grubber from another evil developer known as Activision.Before Call Of Duty become a cash-grubber,a company called Infinity Ward started the Call Of Duty series giving a player to enjoy shooting with pleasure and other enhanced experience.
The only good Call Of Duty game i have known is Call Of Duty 1-3 where that game takes place in the World War II era.The graphic,gunplay and especially the soundtrack were remarkable during that time and many reviewer praised that game like it one of the best first person shooter ever.Each Call Of Duty game have you control different kind of protoganist ( even though the main character didn't even talk ) and improved the gameplay mechanic and more arsenal of weapon.I still remember my most favourite gun would be BAR & Sten.Those were the days when Infinity Ward make a good first person shooter game.

One of the best thing that Infinity Ward developed will be Call Of Duty 4 which is also known as Modern Warfare.The game setting is mostly in a more futuristic era ( our time to be precise ).One huge step up from Call Of Duty 3 to Call Of Duty 4 would be the graphic engine,whole different set of story ( not focus on World War II era anymore ),wide variety of weapon and addictive multiplayer.Once again reviewer praised the game from taking a huge different step and got 94.15% in Game Rankings : http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=call+of+duty&numrev=3&site= It even sold a total of 16.93 million which not many developer can reach at this peak.

HOWEVER,when Activision learned that Call Of Duty 4 is a huge success to its predecessor,both the developer and publisher started to get greedy and didn't even bother to care their customer anymore.So what did they do ? Well they realeased more Call Of Duty game but without any major improvement at all.Graphic seems outdated,multiplayer feel the same but added some changes which make the game less challenging,arsenal of weapon added is not much at all and overall everything just feel like a copied and paste from the previous game.The only good things about Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 1-3 are its storyline.Other than that it just a cash-grubber series.What make a lot of people furious is that it sells even higher than the previous games even though it just the same game with continue storyline only.

The only Call Of Duty game i like were Call Of Duty : World At War & Black Ops which made by Treyarch.One things i like about Treyarch is that they are being innovative as each Call Of Duty game they developed and also their zombie mode :P.Treyarch is the only developer which make the Call Of Duty series that listen to their fan/customer opinion in changing the game so that it won't get stale.If you don't know what i am talking about,then go see Call Of Duty : Black Ops 2.Even though the settings of the game are way off ( almost looked like Halo ),at least their game doesn't look the same as what Infinity Ward had developed.

If you want a good Call Of Duty game then support Treyarch instead of those greedy money-grubber called Infinity Ward.I bet their next game Call Of Duty : Future Warfare or Modern Warfare 4 is just the same stale game as Modern Ware 2-3 are.

Around the Network

Future Candidate :

Dead Space

Fable

Splinter Cell

Mass Effect

Prince Of Persia ( Maybe ? )

Soul Calibur

F.E.A.R

Devil May Cry

Grammar patrol:
The title thread should be " list of gameS which HAVE gone downhill."

To write "list of game which has gone downhill" means that there is a list of one game, and that said list has gone downhill.

SSX, downhill with holes.

All of those in the list have gone downhill, maybe AC3 can redeem itself.

Might I suggest giving the enter key a try?

Kawaiix33 said:

There are games whom we loves and whom we hates.Some may thought having a sequel would be better but other think it is much more worser than the original games.So let look on some games which has been going downhill for many years.One more thing please don't flame me because my English suck because i am not that brilliant like you guys were.

This thread will be updated so don't worry if i miss out some games.

1) Resident Evil

When did the series died : After Resident Evil 4

Reason : After the first released of the resident evil game which is resident evil 1,many people tend to grew interest in it and marked it as a survival horror genre.Eventually it soon to become a classic survival horror game as more sequel and spin off are released such as RE : Dead Aim,RE 2,RE 3,RE Outbreak and others.One of the best series that Capcom ever made is Resident Evil 4 which feature a third-person view,many hidden and unlockable secret,additional scenario ( ada campaign ) and still maintain those scary feeling in some parts.However after years has gone by,Capcom had released another RE game which is RE 5,this is where the series gone downhill since you have a AI incompetent partner ( like to waste healing spray and ammo ),atmosphere that doesn't seems terrfying at all,no gory death at all ( well there is one where you get chomp into half but that all ) and other else.

Many fans were pissed off at RE 5 for losing that RE feeling.Though Capcom released a 3DS game which is Resident Evil : Revelations which pleases the fan since that game feel like going back to the old root but one greatest mistake that Capcom ever done is by releasing RE 6.It is by far one of the worst series ever ( worst than Resident Evil : Operation Racoon City since at least RE : OPC is a spin off ).Leon & Ada campaign is the only one that feel like the old resident evil but Chris & Jake campaign is one clusterfuck.The game focus way more on action,annoying quick-time event,disgusting camera view ( RE 4 & 5 camera view is way more better ) and different type of enemy that doesn't feel horrfying or original in any way.If you go to metacritic website and search for Resident Evil 6,it explain a lot why is one of the worst series.Even though Resident Evil 5 also focus on action,there managed to keep those adrenaline rush feeling when you fight some bossess or mini-bossess especially the chainsaw dude.I can list a lot of reason why RE 6 is worst than RE 4 & RE 5 but it is better if you just try to rent the game or looked at some reviews before actually buying it.Everybody have different opinion.

2) Final Fantasy

When did the series died : After Final Fantasy X

Reason : What happened to the Final Fantasy series after Final Fantasy X ? Well i can tell you one thing for sure is Square Enix.Yes,before Square Enix takes all the glory,the original developer of Final Fantasy which is SquareSoft released a lot of good Final Fantasy game ( I-X ) which many people grew interest in.It is also known as one of those classic RPG games that many people will remember.One of the series which step up is Final Fantasy VII by devilering us 3D graphic,memorable character,unique style of gameplay,memorable soundtrack,greatest villian of all time ( Sephiroth ) and the list goes on.It is one of the most favourite and overated series since it got many spin-off and even a CGI films ( Final Fantasy : Advent Children ).Those were the good times.

Each sequel Sqauresoft released began to get better and enhanced more experience into the series such as FF VII,FF VIII,FF IX,FF X.However when SquareSoft was gone,the new developer so called Square Enix take on the series and began developing more Final Fantasy game like it belonged to them.One of Square Enix mistake is by releasing Final Fantasy XI.I mean WTF is this ? That games become a MMO RPG games that seems to be a rip-off from WOW.When it come to being innovative,this isn't the step that we fan of Final Fantasy expected to go.Many people began to complain at that time where Final Fantasy XI become an MMO RPG so Square Enix began releasing Final Fantasy XII.That game is not bad though but i doubt it is even any better than what SquareSoft developed.Final Fantasy XII had some flaws though ( lazy to explain but it has something to do with the battle system ) but the reviews is fairly given and soon it turn out to be an OK series to me.

However one of the series that MOST people hate will be Final Fantasy XIII.Those who are new to the Final Fantasy franchise might like that game but for those who are fan of Final Fantasy are terribly dissapointed.It is by far one of the worst Final Fantasy series ever.Forgettable character,dumb-down battle system,the environment and atmosphere doesn't even suite to a Final Fantasy games,annoying character ( Hopes & Vanille ) and other.They even make a spin-off series like they did with Final Fantasy X-2 but even more worst than Final Fantasy XIII.Why in God name we can only control 2 main character and one additional pets or monster when in battle mode ? It like they focus Serah and Noel more than the character in Final Fantasy XIII ( like being throw into a rubbish bin ).Story seems lame and once again annoying main protoganist that like to whine.If that is not enough,they were planning to make another spin-off series to Final Fantasy XIII ( Final Fantasy : Lighthing Returns ) which feature Lighthing as a main protoganist.Before Cloud is even the most popular character in Final Fantasy,now they make Lighthing like their mascot.

Don't even get me started on Final Fantasy XIV.If that game even got mentioned i felt like strangling a pigeon.How long will Square Enix continue to milk their franchise before even realising the mistake they done is going downhill.The only series that can redeemed the Final Fantasy franchise would be Final Fantasy XIII Versus.That the only game that most people are interested in but even that it seems like Sqaure Enix forgot and left Final Fantasy XIII Versus to rot like they did with Final Fantasy VII Remake.I rather see Final Fantasy being dead than having to continue to milk the franchise to a low standard games ~~

That all i have to share my opinion for now... 

Here's a tip: Instead of having such giant paragraphs, try to divide them into smaller paragraphs. People will be more likely to read your ideas then.  And when dividing the paragraphs, try to divide them in order to have a different main idea than  another. For example, one paragraph can focus on FFXIV and another can focus on FFXIII. Paragraphs let people know when you're finished with one idea and when you're moving to another idea. It makes reading much more easier as it allows breaks in between paragraphs which let people know they can take a break and think about what you just said. It can be mentally tiring to read one single paragraph that stretches across an entire screen.

I just skimmed through your post and made a few quick paragraphs to make it easier to read. You might want to divide your post differently to fit your style. I just want to help get people to read your posts.

Around the Network

I was gonna vote for Final Fantasy but then I saw Command & Conquer on the list. During the PS1 days me and my little brother clocked so many hours playing Red Alert Retaliation with 2 PlayStaions linked up. We use to have so much fun with that game. One of my PS1 memories.

Command & Conquer went downhill after EA bought Westwood. I also stopped playing Sim City when EA bought Maxis.

I suppose you can add Paper Mario to the list even though I enjoyed Super Paper Mario (a lot of Paper Mario fans apparently didn't).

Sonic has fallen since the 16 bit era.  I did enjoy Sonic Adventure 2 Battle a lot on GCN though.

sethnintendo said:

Command & Conquer went downhill after EA bought Westwood. I also stopped playing Sim City when EA bought Maxis.

I suppose you can add Paper Mario to the list even though I enjoyed Super Paper Mario (a lot of Paper Mario fans apparently didn't).

Sonic has fallen since the 16 bit era.  I did enjoy Sonic Adventure 2 Battle a lot on GCN though.

+1 for mentioning C&C

I LOVE ICELAND!

sethnintendo said:

Agree,any company EA bought their game sure become one pile of cash-grub ( like Mass Effect )

Haha i don't really play Paper Mario even though the only mario game i play is Super Mario Bros for the Nintendo DS.Isn't Paper Mario some sort of a RPG style type of gameplay ? How does it even suck

Gaming as a whole has gone downhill since 1998 to me.

There are very few games I deem worthy of my time lately.

I LOVE ICELAND!