By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1080p 30fps or 720p 60fps?

Which one you prefer?

1080p 30fps 95 28.36%

720p 60fps 223 66.57%

WTF is a fps? 14 4.18%

Total:332
kitler53 said:
480p at 10 fps.

Skyrim PS3 set a new standard.

Around the Network

Uhh both,

But 1080p at 30 FPS locked. Meaning no dips to 15 or single digits.... like say dark soul's on 360 or ps3 (even though that's in 720p anyways).

If it's not locked at 30FPS, then 720P with 60 FPS and dips.

Dips below 30 are annoying though a lot of my favorite games have it.

As others have stated, the framerate and resolution has little to do with the power of the consoles, but rather how developers choose to allocate the power of the consoles. The technology used is irrelevant. Developers use 720p so they can use fancier graphics. What really bugs me is the loss of split-screen multiplayer, a direct result of this mentality.

Screw online, I'd MUCH rather play with somebody in the room. With the capability 1080p at 60fps 4 player split-screen SHOULD be reaching new heights, instead it's disappearing and being replaced by online play, which is fine, but I'd rather have an option to play locally.

So, I say neither. Give me 1080p with 60fps. I don't care if you have more pixels than the next guy. I don't care about your advanced shaders and particle counts. I play games for fun, not eye candy. In five years, it won't be how detailed your trees and rocks looked that matters, it's how much people enjoyed playing the game. Developers these days are so backwards.

unless you have a tv over 40 inches, for me, I haven't noticed hardly any difference in 1080 vs 720

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

60fps at 720p is the obvious choice for me:

Gameplay > Visuals

Simple as that.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
kitler53 said:
480p at 10 fps.

Skyrim PS3 set a new standard.

Ah... You haven't played Mass Effect 1 yet.(Xbox version) Try 1fps in some battles, unless they improved it for the PS3 port.

I don't think 1080p @ 60fps will ever be standard on consoles. Most developers will cut corners as the gen drags on and we'll be dealing with 720p @ 30fps.

I vote for 1080p 30fps.

People who think all next gen games will run at 1080p 60fps and look great are delusional, current gen consoles are capable of that if developers lowered the graphical effects and poly-counts used significantly but that's not what the majority of gamer want, we want graphics that leave our jaws on the floor with nothing but reactions of 'holy shit' coming from our mouths. If I could choose between a game that looks glorious and runs smooth or a game that looks 'meh' but runs freakishly smooth then I choose the former.

A rock steady 30fps is perfectly fine for every type of game apart from racing simulators and fighters which benefit mostly from 60fps, so 720p 60fps would be preferred then, however racing and fighting games aren't so resource hungry to look good so they could probably run at 1080p 60fps and still look great.

Most of the time I hate 60fps personally, it looks so unnatural to me because most games I've played on consoles that run at 60fps have no motion blur effects at all which makes everything look cartoonishly fast and just weird looking, real life has motion blur. I think 1080p 30fps with great motion blur effects >>>>>> 1080p 60fps without motion blur and hope that it becomes the standard next generation.

It all depends on the game really. Racers / fighting / FPS for the most part need 60 FPS because of their fast paced nature, but you can have an expansive, cinematic action adventure game like Skyrim or Uncharted and if its locked at 30 FPS then that's perfectly fine.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

1080p all the way. I play most games on a projector in a dark room. Temporal resolution matters less in the dark, the extra pixel resolution however makes a huge difference on a 92" screen.
1080p is nicer on a 52" tv too, simply because it matches the native resolution of the lcd panel. No upscaling always looks better.

What I hope they fix next gen is screen tearing. I rather have resolution drops or frame rate drops.
Aim for 1080p60 and keep the graphics simple enough so it doesn't have to drop back to 30fps (or 40fps with triple buffering) too often.