By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is a 3/10 for a game like Resident Evil 6 justifiable?

Tagged games:

darkknightkryta said:
I think any less than a 5 means the game is unplayable.

There are very few unplayable games out there, certainly not enough to reserve half the point scale for them.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

6/10 would be right for RE6.

TruckOSaurus said:
darkknightkryta said:

There are very few unplayable games out there, certainly not enough to reserve half the point scale for them.

But it doesn't work that way. The scale is 1 to 10, for all games, regardless of how populated some zones are. Demonstrated: all games could be 90-100% worthy, would you then spread those over a 1 to 10 scale? It doesn't work like that.

Also, there is preference, and then there is quality. Something can be of high quality though one may not prefer it. Whether that person prefers it or not should just have a portion of the total judgement, and a lesser one to the objective measure. That's how a title of utmost quality could reasonably get a 7, but not much less.

Does seem low. But if a big series fails to deliver, maybe reviewers think thats worth a lower score, maybe as a wake up call to the dev

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

i havent played it yet, but i dont think it is, the game has, at least, a good production value, wether its good or not is really a matter of tastes, for me it would be on a OK-ish range, just on par with RE5 and games like GoW

i wouldnt even give a 3 to Superman 64

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
The main problem is that reviewers are incosistent and use a scale of 1-10 in the wrong way.

This is absolutely and entirely correct. It's even moreso the case with Destructoid.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

No. A 4 or a 5 would be acceptable though.

The text is more important than the score. I try to read a few reviews for a game to see what the people thought. They may give a game a low score for something that I like or a high score for something about a game I hate. That why I read the text, I also listen to podcasts while I commute. This gives me a good range of knowledge to know if I will like a game or not. I'm sure on this weeks Destructoid podcast we will get to hear in depth why Jim Sterling didn't like RE6.

I would say on an objective view the game is atleast an 6´out of 10. A score under 6 is only personal bias and are only made for getting fan points. On an subjective score ( depend on what you await) it is a 9 out of 10. Atleast for me because i like Resident Evil 4 and 5 and from what i see it is like Resident Evil 4 and 5 only aliitle bit better and bigger. So for me its a 9 right now.

PS: A videogame magazine in germany gave Resident evil 5 some year ago 93 out of 100 points. And they mentioned that Resi 5 has a lot more action than the previous games. Now some years later the same magazine gave Resi 6 75 out of 100 points because it has to much action and to less horror. How reliable is such a magazine?

happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:
darkknightkryta said:

But it doesn't work that way. The scale is 1 to 10, for all games, regardless of how populated some zones are. Demonstrated: all games could be 90-100% worthy, would you then spread those over a 1 to 10 scale? It doesn't work like that.

Also, there is preference, and then there is quality. Something can be of high quality though one may not prefer it. Whether that person prefers it or not should just have a portion of the total judgement, and a lesser one to the objective measure. That's how a title of utmost quality could reasonably get a 7, but not much less.

Yeah I agree that my logic didn't work there, half the point scale shouldn't equal half the games but I still think that defining anything below 5 as unplayable crams too much games in the upper echelons. Especially, if a person is rating a game mainly by how much they enjoyed it.

Signature goes here!