By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is a 3/10 for a game like Resident Evil 6 justifiable?

Tagged games:

I haven't played the game (so I can't speak about it's quality), but it seems rather low by the scores that are usually handed out. Usually EVERYTHING that isn't shovelware gets at least a 6 by most reviewers. This isn't to say that bad, high budget games shouldn't get a 3 out of 10. Actually, I think that more 3 out of 10's should be handed out. It's just that many reviewers are horribly inconsistent. At one point they are saying that at least a 7 out of 10 is handed out to something that isn't shovelware and at other times they give something like RE 6 a 3 out of 10. This wouldn't bother me if more big budget games were treated this way, but it seems that the game is being picked on a bit. And then you had the other end of the spectrum where everyone gave GTA 4 a 10 out of 10 and most gamers would admit that that game is flawed. I'm rambling...

The problem isn't the score, but the lack of consistency in how games are scored.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

In my opnion, this should be the new scale:

10 - Decent
9.9-9.7 - Okish
9.6-9.5 - Mediocre, rental if you feel generous
9.4-9.2 - Only as a gift
9.1-9.0 - Who made this crap
8.9-0.1 - ET quality, burn in the desert

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
In my opnion, this should be the new scale:

10 - Decent
9.9-9.7 - Okish
9.6-9.5 - Mediocre, rental if you feel generous
9.4-9.2 - Only as a gift
9.1-9.0 - Who made this crap
8.9-0.1 - ET quality, burn in the desert

Love it. My buddy had a review site that went from -10 to +10. -10 was Burn it in hell, 0 was Meh and +10 was the best thing ever. They used the whole scale.

hell yeah it's justifiable for someone to have an opinion.

Conan gave it 35 out of 1500 which is a decent score when you know that:
1400 is not so good
1100 is fantastic
and less than 0 is better
his review made more sense than most reviews out there

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

Jim scores games based on how much he enjoyed playing them, that's just his style. So pretty much any score is justified for any game... when Jim is reviewing it.

the_dengle said:
Jim scores games based on how much he enjoyed playing them, that's just his style. So pretty much any score is justified for any game... when Jim is reviewing it.

Shouldn't all reviews be like this though? Should a technically accomplished game that bores you to tears still get a 7 just because it looks nice and devoid of game breaking bugs?

Signature goes here!

to some extent i believe it is, about 7 yrs have gone by since re4 released and not alot has changed for the better with 5 and now 6 also from what ive read the game has lost its horror its like releasing a metal gear titled game and having no stealth

to another extent i believe it isnt some complaints the reviews are having is its qte cinematics and constantly removing control from the player, all highly rated games are guilty of like mgs4 unc2 and3 heavy rain max payne3 and god of war

i havent played the game yet but reading some unbaised reviews 7-8 is what the game deserves i would like to hear what are own kyliedog rates it

Play Me

The 3/10 was obviously meant to make a statement (towards Capcom that they're taking the wrong path with the Resident Evil series) and not to reflect the actual quality of Resident Evil 6. So no, it's not justifiable even if you happen to use the "art" approach of judging video games.

Now, as much as i hate the modern Resident Evils I still don't think it's cool to make a statement through your review score. Review scores should be comparable to each other.

Slimebeast said:

The 3/10 was obviously meant to make a statement (towards Capcom that they're taking the wrong path with the Resident Evil series) and not to reflect the actual quality of Resident Evil 6. So no, it's not justifiable even if you happen to use the "art" approach of judging video games.

Now, as much as i hate the modern Resident Evils I still don't think it's cool to make a statement through your review score. Review scores should be comparable to each other.

I agree 100%. It's not very professional at all.