By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why did LBP fail in Japan?

I have always found this interesting. Can some one from japan explain this? Do they only buy a game if its made in japan mostly? wonder if translation for the japanese version is bad

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
I think it's the art style, it's imho much more western appealing in general.

This was exactly what I was going to say.

The art style from a Japanese perspective is drab, bland and boring.

spurgeonryan said:
Tridrakious said:
spurgeonryan said:
Seriously though the vita needs a price cut and some serious promotion! A dragon quest game would help as well.

It needs aggressive marketing. Not a price cut. Games are coming to the Vita in Japan at a much faster rate than in any other market. They just need to advertise it.

Sony has stated they know the difficult challenge for the Vita and that is to convince developers to develop for it. However, they won't lift a damn finger to market their products. If Sony does give a damn about the product selling...developers are going to wonder why they should.

Even games that were not marketed on the Wii still sold decent numbers. Even in the beginning. I think it is too late now. The damage has been done.

Give people a price cut and heavily advertise the price cut.

The Wii sold because it was something new and launched against a system that was $500 at it's cheapest with no really good games on it. That is the only time where I see price making that sells difference.

When the casual consumer walked into a store and saw a $249 video game system being sold next to a $499 and $599 video game system, the $249 system is going to sell. And Sony didn't have the software to show off just how great the PS3 was vs the Wii in the early going. The games that would have helped (Genji, Lair, Oblivion, Uncharted) were either absolutely terrible or they were delayed way outside the launch window.

And in some cases were also moved to multiplatform status. (DMC 4 for instance)

Because it's not Japanese or backed by Nintendo. Even Rayman Origins did poorly there and it (like LBP) is among the best 2D platformers of the generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

They need to change the protagonist to a high school anime girl, seriously I bet you anything the game would sell better than it has atm. Just look at all the new PSP games that chart, they have anime school girls as the heroines.

Around the Network

well if puppeteer sells well in japan than its probably not the artstyle because they seem similar in both games.

Aside from the obvious answer (Western developed), it's also the physics ... I don't think the Japanese like games with floaty physics.

I don't know why.

I want to speculate, though. 

My number belief is the game has waned in new.  As much fun as NSMB2 is, it's been done.  For a platformer(mostly) its okay.  The physics in my opinion is too feathery.  Anyways, what's change in gameplay? 

Simple as that, it's been done.

Hmm, different cultures, different tastes.

I really enjoyed the first little big Planet, because it was a platformer that allowed coop gameplay. The levels were ok, but the presentation was annoying. The level creation kit was a nice addition, but during the way to the platinum trophy I lost interest.

Then LBP2 came along, the presentation was still annoying and on my way to the platinum I had to spend 24 hours in the level creator when I already realized in LBP1 that I do not like to create levels. So I lost interest in the game.

Really, I expect my platformer to come with levels. I do not want to pay full price and have to make the levels myself... The problem with the online concept is that it is really hard to find really good levels that are worth playing. What is the difference between having 10.000 levels or 10.000.000. Practically speaking it is neglectable. After playing through the suggested levels from MM you will type some words into the search engine and will most likely find some music levels or several copies of the same old levels.

My main interest in LBP was simply that it was a coop platformer as this is not a common find. That whole play create share concept destroyed the fun. The other reason was that after playing a level for 2 minutes my wife spent 10 minutes to rearrange her character which was getting on my nerves. In the end LBP2 felt more like a social network than a full platformer to me and I will stop buying further games of the franchise.

I mean, could you imagine a Super Mario game that only comes with a few demo Levels and you have to make the levels yourself? That you are able to rearrange your character with different materials? I think that most fans would not enjoy such a change.

That is the main problem of LBP. It is just an empty shell and if you dont like social networking (as creating levels for other players) you will not have much fun with the game. And to my finding, NA is just more fond of the internet and online gaming than Europe or Japan.

Thats what I like about Nintendo... They see online gaming as an extra, and not as the new norm. An offline game has to be designed as a full experience.

Well, I have the game for almost two weeks now and honestly, I don't see where those review scores come from. I just hate that they force me to play a platformer with the analog stick because they felt the need to put facial expressions for sackboy on the digipad. You can't even see them on those tiny figures. Also, tilting to look up/down. Wtf man? I can't lie down to play because when I lie down hes looking up all the time like a retard and when I lie on my back hes sucking his own dick? I don't need this shit, I just want to play a platformer and be in a comfortable position while doing so!

The platforming itself is mediocre. Immersion and flow is broken all the time by stopping and having to drag something around via touch screen. The physics are not as bad as I thought it would be (first LBP for me) but it's certainly not tight either.

I'm sure the Level editor is great but I feel like 99% of people are too impatient to build their own levels and I am part of those 99%. I started the editor anyway, saw the 60 something tutorial lessons and was like 

Long story short, I think japanese people definitely have a case in not liking the game. It's certainly not unfounded distaste. It's probably my first and last LBP game too, outside of bargain bin acquisition maybe.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.