By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why did LBP fail in Japan?

@ OP

I don't know, really. I can see where you're coming from with the whole cutesy artstyle kind of thing. But I also think it has a very western style - something they probably wouldn't like. I definitely think there's a bit of western-bias influencing the sales figures over there too.

Sony probably released it with minimal marketing as per usual as well, and with a bigger Japanese week for them coming up they probably skipped over LBP.

I don't think it really did that badly all things considered, though. It sold more than LBP PSP did first week (at least according to VGChartz figures) and that obviously had a much bigger install base.

Around the Network

Little big planet has enemies?

Like ones you jump on or kill, because I think they're important, honestly.

Chewing gum platforming

Kresnik said:
@ OP

I don't know, really. I can see where you're coming from with the whole cutesy artstyle kind of thing. But I also think it has a very western style - something they probably wouldn't like. I definitely think there's a bit of western-bias influencing the sales figures over there too.

Sony probably released it with minimal marketing as per usual as well, and with a bigger Japanese week for them coming up they probably skipped over LBP.

I don't think it really did that badly all things considered, though. It sold more than LBP PSP did first week (at least according to VGChartz figures) and that obviously had a much bigger install base.

Thid is actually the level I'm at at the moment. The graphics engine is realistic but to me the artstyle is quite stylised and I wouldn't assume it to be a western developed game. 

Because it wasnt Japanese?

Around the Network

They didn't give sackboy huge eyebrows and sad eyes. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Corey said:
The vita doesn't sell very well there so very low sales are too be expected, I suspect that the artstyle simply doesn't appeal to the japanese and perhaps some western bias.

That doesn't really explain why the sales are so absurdly low.

Horrible Vita sales and bad marketing are the usual doom and gloom excesses.

Maybe the Japanese love downloading games from PSN and it's actually selling great? :) If only...

not Kawaii enough... Shouldn't have called Sackboy boy.. but just Sack and be androgynous... the Japanse "cute" isn't the same as in the west.. hench the failure of western IPs like Cabbage Patch Kids, Barbie and many more in Japan

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

After some answers here, the question changed

It's now, why LBP on PS3 did "good" in japan? (111,376)