By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - From Software for "going to multiplatform" was a good decision???

Tagged games:

From Software "going to multiplatform" was a good decision?

Yes 97 56.40%

No 61 35.47%

I don't know 14 8.14%

Total:172
sperrico87 said:

selling better than expected

dark souls hasn't sold better than expected, that's our issue here

crissindahouse said:

your arguments aren't more true as others just because you like them more.

feel free to debunk them, just like i did with Chris Hu's statements, until then...

Around the Network
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
sperrico87 said:

crissindahouse said:

feel free to debunk them, just like i did with Chris Hu's statements, until then...

you didn't debunk his argument, that's what i already explained. still not sure why you think he is butthurt just because he has another opinion.

btw, i don't think that sounds too bad:

demon's souls against dark souls after same timeframe:

japan
demon's souls: 185k
dark souls: 396k

usa:
demon's souls: 357k
dark souls: 673k

europe:
demon's souls: 173k
dark souls: 389k

+pc sales but this version is only out one month, we have to wait almost an year and would have to get the sales of steam and other services to know how much we could add to the dark souls sales above

crissindahouse said:

seriously do you want me to repeat the whole thread again ?

we have already explained why demons souls sold into a long period of time, why dark souls has no such advantage, why the minuscule (1.67 - 1.64) difference  in sales doesn't justify the marketing and porting costs especially considering this is a far bigger production, we have explained what was demon's souls selling points

and if your debunking is "i don't think that sounds too bad" im very happy for you

Chris Hu was dead wrong saying that there were no expectations while generalizing about From Software low selling games, this is very damn specifically about Demon's & Dark Souls

Also saying "a lot of people where turned off from buying the sequel since the first game was too hard." is actually a case against going multiplat

sperrico87 said:

crissindahouse said:

So exactly what did I say that isn't true please show me a From Software title that actually sold a lot (over 2 million).  The majority of their games sell less then a million copies.

crissindahouse said:

seriously do you want me to repeat the whole thread again ?

we have already explained why demons souls sold into a long period of time, why demons souls has no such advantage, why the minuscule (1.67 - 1.64) difference  in sales doesn't justify the marketing and porting costs especially considering this is a far bigger production, we have explained what was demon's souls selling points

and if your debunking is "i don't think that sounds too bad" im very happy for you

Chris Hu was dead wrong saying that there were no expectations while generalizing about From Software games

Also saying "a lot of people where turned off from buying the sequel since the first game was too hard." is actually a case against going multiplat

you are funny, really! you compare the sales of a game which had a much longer time to sell with a game which is not even one year out and has his second holiday season ahead and also has pc sales not included in your 1.67 million. dark souls will maybe reach 2 million by the end of the year only for console.

you did explain nothing good enough because comparing the sales of both against each other now is just wrong. if you want to compare dark souls with demon's souls sales how they are now, wait 16 more months or so and compare the 1.64 million demon's souls sales with dark souls then. then you have to compare 1.64 against 2.xx million console sales plus some hundred thousand pc sales.

and a company shouldn#t go multi-plat because the game was too hard for many? why exactly?

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Forget a little the gamer questions because I know the game going multiplatform is better for the consumer.

But about the From Software, the company itself.

Demon's Souls sold without any marketing: 1.64m

Dark Souls combined sold with some marketing: 1.67m

I thing From Software expected more sales from Dark Souls... way better sales than Demon's Souls... but that's not happened.

What do you think guys??? 

I would say that when a game is a bit "obscure" it is better to be only for the PS3, because PS3 fans support exclusives better.   If Heavy Rain was multiplatform, it would have sold like crap.   Also look at heavenly Sword Vs. Enslaved. HS sold 1.5M, while enslaved sold 880K.

If Dark Souls was an exclusive, it would have sold lot more.

Chris Hu said:

So exactly what did I say that isn't true please show me a From Software title that actually sold a lot (over 2 million).  The majority of their games sell less then a million copies.

As I said you were generalizing when we are talking about something very damn specific: Demon's Souls succes.

Their other major game, Armored Core, was already a mutliplat this gen, so that is a broken analogy to begin with.

Demon's Souls was a success out of nowhere with 1.64 mil. Namco took the decision and made the game go mutliplat following that success. From software were already developing "project dark" anyway. The game's selling points were improved and it barely made the same number. Facts.

crissindahouse said:

haha man you are funny, really! you compare the sales of a game which had a much longer time to sell with a game...

already debunked in this thread.

NiKKoM said:
lol.. Demon's Souls didn't even get published by Sony in the US and Europe.. that's how much faith they had in the IP... so yeah From Software made a great decision to dump Sony and create Dark Souls and not wait around to let Sony decide when, if ever, there would be a sequel to demon souls..

wrong, it was not From Software's decision

How is it wrong? Demon's Souls is a Sony IP, clearly sony doesn't care much about it... From Software does care and makes Dark Souls.. a spritual succesor.. now Dark Souls is From Software's IP and they can do what they want with it and not wait untill Sony wants to do something with Demons Souls..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:

How is it wrong? Demon's Souls is a Sony IP, clearly sony doesn't care much about it... From Software does care and makes Dark Souls.. a spritual succesor.. now Dark Souls is From Software's IP and they can do what they want with it and not wait untill Sony wants to do something with Demons Souls..

no.

im probably gonna get banned (again) for this but anyway: if this is your 2 cents people, then some of you are seriously devaluing the currency. you are deliberately turning a blind eye to the fact the game could have expanded its gamer base, simple as that but no you have to defend your platform of choice. i don't care about the sony brand, i care about the damn game itself and this effort that was 3 damn times the production of Demons Souls did not do that, it did not expand. you put some hardware company above gaming and that is the worse kind of fanboyism

Chris Hu said:

As I said you were generalizing when we are talking about something very damn specific: Demon's Souls succes.

Their other major game, Armored Core, was already a mutliplat this gen, so that is a broken analogy to begin with.

Demon's Souls was a success out of nowhere with 1.64 mil. Namco took the decision and made the game go mutliplat following that success. From software were already developing "project dark" anyway. The game's selling points were improved and it barely made the same number. Facts.

crissindahouse said:

haha man you are funny, really! you compare the sales of a game which had a much longer time to sell with a game...

already debunked in this thread.

dark souls is out 50 weeks right? so please tell me how much will dark souls have sold after the same timeframe as demon's souls now? so after 155 weeks in usa, 117 weeks in europe and whatever in japan? and please also tell me how much will it have sold after exactly that time and not only 4 weeks later on pc including digital sales which you will never know?