By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - From Software for "going to multiplatform" was a good decision???

Tagged games:

From Software "going to multiplatform" was a good decision?

Yes 97 56.40%

No 61 35.47%

I don't know 14 8.14%

Total:172

Quick summary of the answers: Sony fans: Bad decision. Anyone else: Good decision.

Around the Network

Well it's selling a lot faster than Demon Souls did so it could well end up significantly higher. I also wonder how many people have both a PS3 and 360 who bought Dark Souls on 360 as opposed to PS3 which they were forced to do with the original.

I don't think any normal person gives a crap that "From Software betrayed Sony", I don't see how they did? They made their game in the manner they thought would be most profitable. That's just common sense, it's also a lot easier to get a publisher for the Western Market if there is a 360 version too given the systems strong presence in NA and the UK.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Navane said:

Shinobi-san said:

With Dark Souls the novelty has worn off...the type of game is more familiar now. And for a few people the game appears to be too similar to demon souls and wont go out and buy the game again.

Are you kidding me? I want to go out and buy the Prepare to Die edition when that comes out. I bought Demon's Souls because I loved Dark Souls so much, and I'd be beyond excited if From Software announced a sequel. Dark Souls is perhaps one of my favorite games this console generation. It's locked me in my bedroom like no other game has except for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. In fact, if I had a gaming PC I'd be buying the PC version too.

Hey hey i was also excited for Dark Souls :)

Point im trying to make here is that not everybody would have felt that way. Especially PS3 owners. I know a lot of guys who heard of the hype of Demon Souls and went out and bought it. Because it was sooo unique, so difficult etc. Now im not saying thats not true for Dark Souls but for many people especially PS3 owners, its not worth buying such a "similar" game.

And yes i know the games are very different i have played both but my argument isnt really about the game but more about gamers perception. Bottom line i dont think the PS3 sales would have been significantly higher had the game been an exclusive.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

pezus said:
Kynes said:
Quick summary of the answers: Sony fans: Bad decision. Anyone else: Good decision.

Wrong

Don't you say that you are mostly a PC fan

From Software has always been a multiplat company.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
pezus said:
Kynes said:
pezus said:
Kynes said:

Wrong

Don't you say that you are mostly a PC fan

Well, yes, but also a Sony fan.

You want it on PC to play the master race Durante version, admit it XD

remaining exclusive to one company and not be a part of that company to get all the support they need will eventually lead to their death so going maltyplatform is the best thing for them to do! Demon Souls reach the same number Dark souls did in the same time period?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Shinobi-san said:
 With Dark Souls the novelty has worn off...

Not really, its hard selling points were expanded and improved in every possible way, you wouldn't call it worn off just after one game. It was not a gimmick.

Here's why it was a dead wrong decision: there is a core / loyal fan base for console rpgs on the ps3 more than on any other console, a fan base that does want to play games that involve challenge and trial and error etc

The game does not have a wide appeal. It does not have mainstream elements. Demon's Souls success was due to the fact that it was the right game made for the right console and that means the right market. My take of this is that the 360 numbers are for a big part due to the popularity of the first game.

Demon's Souls did those numbers because the gamers and reviewers did the promotion themselves. And that is also the reason it sold slowly, first released in japan, it made a good name for itself then US then EU. The people who bought it knew what they were getting themselves into.  It was not an impulse buy.

Dark Souls has not had that "upbringing". So there is no real reason to be optimistic about future sales.

All in all, it was a greedy decision that while it tried to expand on other platforms it failed to draw back at least the original crowd.

Kynes said:

wrong.

As a gamer, I honestly don't  care since the game was not compromised in the slightest to fit the new hardware and the new market. (Unlike most japanese multiplat games).

As about "anyone else", namco didn't get sales, despite the marketing costs, despite the porting costs and especially despite the much larger production compared to Demon's Souls.

And this whole generation has shown that the crowd for console rpgs (what many people call jrpgs) on the 360 just does not cut it.

lol.. Demon's Souls didn't even get published by Sony in the US and Europe.. that's how much faith they had in the IP... so yeah From Software made a great decision to dump Sony and create Dark Souls and not wait around to let Sony decide when, if ever, there would be a sequel to demon souls..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Sony fans only use the sales figures when it suits them.

So bloody sad.

I hate Sony more and more because of its fans.

Dismissing Dark outselling Demons in same time frame is ridiculous.

Massive agenda.