By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How to Save the American Economy

SamuelRSmith said:
the2real4mafol said:
Marks said:
Get rid of minimum wage, get rid of ridiculous regulations on businesses and get rid of corporate/business taxes...then you won't have to worry about "Made in China" because American products could once again compete worldwide like they could 50 years ago.

No stuff like regulations, taxes and minimum wages need to stay. Companies need to remain responsible for their actions. I mean would you work 15 hours for just $5, in filthy and dangerous (life threatening) conditions?. I doubt it. At $5 a day, you wouldn't be able to live in the USA (not now). Not only that, but there would be lots more polution, choking you! Finally, why shouldn't corporations pay any tax?, they produce for the nation, so they should pay a little bit of there earnings to maintain the nation. These corporations are greedy! that's why job's are leaving the USA for Asia

That video was interesting. I'm suprised that economic problems were sorted out without any government intervention (he talked about the bad economy of 1921 and compared it to the great depression of the 1930's). He certainly knew his stuff and I agreed with alot of what he was saying. It's not so simple, as I though it was

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Protectionism is a pipe dream.

If I'm the CEO of Apple or Wal-Mart I like my cheap labor from China just fine and dandy. And I have a lot more say than "joe nobody auto-plant worker". I have billions of dollars at my disposal and can buy influence via lobbyists all day long.

Doesn't matter if its a democrat of republican in the White House, I can buy influence either way.

Harsh, but that's the reality.

This is what capitalism wanted anyway ... they won the Cold War and wanted to spread McDonalds to evey corner of the globe. Well they got it, now we have one basically unified global economy. You can't cry about it now that someone else (China) is doing it better or others (India, Russia) are getting their piece of the pie. Tough sh*t.

Fact is plenty of Americans like the system just fine -- they are the CEOs and corporate big wigs of companies. Cheap labor from China and Mexico works great for them. You willing to work for $5-$10 a day? No? Well tough luck, because millions in China are. Drop all the regulations you want, why in the world should I pay you $15/hour? Because you're an American? Hah. I have profit projections to meet.

What you said is very true.

And a sad state in America. Hell, if I were a CEO I'd probably ship my plants over there as well.

This is why the system needs a drastic change.

Kasz216 said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
Kasz216 said:

Sounds like the Argentinan plan.

Which has been an absolute disaster for Argentina.

True. America is in fine shape right now. Let's ship more jobs overseas then complain about unemployment!

America's not great... but all this plan did to argentina is make argentina a much worse place to live.

stabbing yourself in the foot because your sick may be doing something, but it isn't helping.

Argentina is a different country than America. What works for Argentina may not work for the U.S., what works for the U.S. may not work for Argentina. Free trade is obviously not working for America.

McDonaldsGuy said:
Kasz216 said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
Kasz216 said:

Sounds like the Argentinan plan.

Which has been an absolute disaster for Argentina.

True. America is in fine shape right now. Let's ship more jobs overseas then complain about unemployment!

America's not great... but all this plan did to argentina is make argentina a much worse place to live.

stabbing yourself in the foot because your sick may be doing something, but it isn't helping.

Argentina is a different country than America. What works for Argentina may not work for the U.S., what works for the U.S. may not work for Argentina. Free trade is obviously not working for America.

Well first off...free trade didn't work for Argentina either.  This approach however, was much worse.

Aside from which America actually has very little free trade compaired to most of the world.

The USA hasn't ever actually really embraced or tried free trade as much as Europe or other devloped nations.  Ironic considering that the US is supposed to be the most "Capitalistic" country.

Kasz216 said:

Well first off...free trade didn't work for Argentina either.  This approach however, was much worse.

Aside from which America actually has very little free trade compaired to most of the world.

The USA hasn't ever actually really embraced or tried free trade as much as Europe or other devloped nations.  Ironic considering that the US is supposed to be the most "Capitalistic" country.

Well the USA isn't even embracing free trade per say - because it isn't free, it's costing a huge price (millions of jobs). America has not benefited from free trade (but greedy CEOs have) as well.

It's time we bring the overseas jobs back here. America is an industrial nation, not a service nation.

If I were President, I'd bring the jobs back here and start a deportation program for illegals.

Around the Network
McDonaldsGuy said:
Kasz216 said:

Well the USA isn't even embracing free trade per say - because it isn't free, it's costing a huge price (millions of jobs). America has not benefited from free trade (but greedy CEOs have) as well.

It's time we bring the overseas jobs back here. America is an industrial nation, not a service nation.

If I were President, I'd bring the jobs back here and start a deportation program for illegals.

"If I were President" 
Seriously?  You wouldn't be able to do that as President.  The President doesn't actually choose to do that.  Even though you can issue executive orders as President, making rash decisions can very well get you impeached. 

MDMAlliance said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
Kasz216 said:

"If I were President" 
Seriously?  You wouldn't be able to do that as President.  The President doesn't actually choose to do that.  Even though you can issue executive orders as President, making rash decisions can very well get you impeached. 

Well you'd have to have Congress pass a tariff, but as a President I will enforce immigration laws.

McDonaldsGuy said:

Well you'd have to have Congress pass a tariff, but as a President I will enforce immigration laws.

The President cannot "enforce" anything.  The President's power mostly lies within his power to say no.  AKA his veto power.

McDonaldsGuy said:
Kasz216 said:

I wouldn't say that.  Free trade was the biggest driver of US economic expansion between WW2 and today. 

Outside which, protectionism and tarrifs end up getting protectionism and tariffs against you.   Protectionism and Tariffs really only work if your a small country nobody cares enough about to counter tariff against.

25% of US economic activity is trade... and that's low.

Our trade deficits come soley from China and Oil... nothing actually related to free trade.

MDMAlliance said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

The President cannot "enforce" anything.  The President's power mostly lies within his power to say no.  AKA his veto power.

Eisenhower had no problem.