By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should teenagers and children determine what they eat for lunch?

richardhutnik said:

The question is what the government lunches should be. Should they try to be healthy, or end up pandering to every impulse appetite that children have?  

Something healthy that kids will actually eat, maybe? That seems an important part of the equation. There are more options in the world than (a) pseudo-gourmet, quasi-organic, holistic crap and (b) McDonald's.

Around the Network

Just make it against the law to have a morbidly obese child.

sethnintendo said:

"I'm Jay520, and I approve this message."

First of all, that was a horrible, horrible article. I get the impression any objective material was left out, including the actual items on the menu, which you'd think would be one of the first bits of data included.

As far as what the school cafeteria offers, I think it should be healthy. If you don't like that, then bring your meals yourself. I brought a lunch-box most of my school life. This isn't the government saying you have to eat certain things, it's the government saying they won't participate in the rising obesity rate of America. Obesity is killing the US and costing billions of dollars in health-care.

Also, perhaps if kids aren't getting loaded up on sugars and carbs at lunch then maybe they can actually pay attention in class.

Everyone has the right to eat whatever they want. Healthy or unhealthy. Many kids need to be educated about nutrition though.

Around the Network

"....mandated by the United States Department of Agriculture and First Lady Michelle Obama."

Last time I checked (whiich was never, since I don't need to look up common sense), the First Lady can't mandate anything.

Regardless of that fallacy, if parents don't like what's being provided for lunch by the public school, they can just have their kids bring food from home.

Lastly, if anyone has ever visited Wisconsin, you'd see that they need some kind of healthy option for their kids........because their kids are fat as shit. Matter of fact, most of the state population is fat as shit.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Teenagers... high school students? Yes.

Younger kids? Should have to do with the local governments. Not the feds. The Federal government can't craft a plan that takes into effect each counties advantages and disadvantages.

So that likely leads mostly to less healthy frozen foods shipped from the other side of the country provided by mega food companies because they're the only ones who can provide everything mandated... rather then working with local ingredients and foods that can make healthy, locally grown foods.

sethnintendo said:

Nonsense. Just tax them. In fact, tax all morbidly obese people. That'll fix our debt problem and our food scarcity problem (do we have one of those?).

wfz said:
sethnintendo said:

Nonsense. Just tax them. In fact, tax all morbidly obese people. That'll fix our debt problem and our food scarcity problem (do we have one of those?).

Yes and no.

We don't have a food scarcity problem (In the united states).

However we DO have a food distrubiton problem that tends to lead to tons of people going hungry and tons of food being wasted because it doesn't fit extremely stupid food guidelines.

wfz said:
sethnintendo said:

What an ugly word. Have a mandate saying that nobody is allowed to be fat, punishable by a fine.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective