By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should teenagers and children determine what they eat for lunch?

sales2099 said:
Kids dont know whats best for them. Better they hate you now and respect you later when they understand what you did for them.

This. If it was up to kids fruits and vegetables would be banned. 

Around the Network
Augen said:
Kasz216 said:
richardhutnik said:
This ends up being a political issue. The entire kids are starving issue is raised by individuals who are more than willing to supports funding of school lunch programs, so the kids end up with less.

More has to be done, a lot more. Not to say government does it all, but i as I have said, society is going to have to stop and think here. Adjusting subsidies would be a start. Figuring out how to get people's taste to change is another. Unhealthy food is cheaper, and apparently shifts to more vegetables and whole grains, is causing an uprising. They throw out fruits and vegetables and complain they are hungry.

I just listed ways to do that.  There are tons of answers to a lot of societies problems... it's just neither side is really willing to consult the sociology on the issue.  Instead argueing over whether failed laws like this deserve to stay in place.  Repeal of such failed laws and recognition of failure is the first step towards people who supported them saying "well what would work."

Though yes.  Right now people are throwing out the healthy food and going hungry.   Thats why such a law is a  bad thing, no matter how well intentioned it is.

I kinda of find it funny that your argueing this thread in paralel with the 47% thread.  Your getting downright Krugman like... to quote you directly 

" There is a reality though, that policies and beliefs have consequences, and that can result in people starving."

I was curious as to your thoughts on what has happened in Oklahoma City in regards to healthy life style and obesity rates?  

http://www.thiscityisgoingonadiet.com/

It's a good program because it's using volentary measures and accountability measures which are great for weight loss.  Little chance for negatives from people starving or binging, all chance for gain, and better yet, by bringing in corproate sponsorship it probably costs very little.

Though it's actualy results are somewhat questionable because it makes you wonder how many people put on weight while they were losing it.

Worth noting a healthy eating website was one of the things I said WOULD help.