By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should teenagers and children determine what they eat for lunch?

wfz said:
sethnintendo said:
Just make it against the law to have a morbidly obese child.

Nonsense. Just tax them. In fact, tax all morbidly obese people. That'll fix our debt problem and our food scarcity problem (do we have one of those?).

YES!  Bring in Uncle Duke's Fat Tax!

Around the Network
KungKras said:
People are not used to eating vegetables at home? So many people that it actually makes the news, and they can't even eat it if nothing else is availible?

No wonder america has an obesity problem.

How does it work in american schools, do they pay for the food or is it free?

Some schools end up providing meals for kids, subsidized with federal tax dollars to keep costs down.  In others, the cafeterias actually bring in commercial fast food, under the argument it is the only thing kids will eat:

http://www.education.com/magazine/article/fast-food-school-cafeterias/

And they also likely make some money off serving such food.  

And what you stated is part of the initiative Michelle Obama is trying to help counter.  Get kids to exercise more and also eat healthier.  So it starts with the cafeterias in school, which is what TownHall.com is all irate about.

JayWood2010 said:
You know what the cause of obesity is in america? Being a lazy ass and over eating. I'm sorry but if you have a disease that causes obesity I understand but most people that are over-weight are just lazy and eat to much. Some people want to make excuses but I work a full--time job, full-time college student, have a social life, play games and sports, yet I can still workout out 3-6 times a week. Plus I eat correctly so in my opinion there is no excuse for being a big blob on a couch.

Nobody's denying that.

We are denying that it's any of the government's business how healthily a person chooses to live.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

HappySqurriel said:
This is what you get when you have bureaucrats deciding what a "healthy" meal is ...

Someone who actually had a clue what they were doing would have taken kids 10 (or 20) favorite foods and modified them so that they were healthier. It is far easier to get a kid to eat a healthy pizza or taco than it is to get them to eat hummus or bean salad.

That's a fair point.

Some people in this thread want to entrust decisions on healthy eating to the people who declared pizza a vegetable.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
HappySqurriel said:
This is what you get when you have bureaucrats deciding what a "healthy" meal is ...

Someone who actually had a clue what they were doing would have taken kids 10 (or 20) favorite foods and modified them so that they were healthier. It is far easier to get a kid to eat a healthy pizza or taco than it is to get them to eat hummus or bean salad.

That's a fair point.

Some people in this thread want to entrust decisions on healthy eating to the people who declared pizza a vegetable.

You mean Republican congressmen who passed legistlation under the influence of the food industry?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pizza-is-a-vegetable

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/16/pizza-vegetable-school-lunches-lobbyists_n_1098029.html

Around the Network

schools should be able to serve whatever food they want, and students should be able to bring and eat whatever food they want. This is a free country, and both sides are free to make a choice. Just because the school is only serving healthy food doesn't mean the students are forced to eat it, they can bring their own food.

Now, if there was some kind of rule about bringing your own food? ...now that would be bullcrap!

Kantor said:
HappySqurriel said:

That's a fair point.

I actually remembered that and looked into it just now (barely).  According to this article the Obama adminstration was trying to take off the extra credit that tomato paste gets for being a serving of veggies. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"This is not a fight over pizza. It is, instead, a fight about tomato paste. Specifically, it’s a fight about how much of the product counts as one serving of vegetables.

Right now, tomato paste gets a sort of special treatment under school lunch regulations. Just “an eighth of a cup of tomato paste is credited with as much nutritional value as half a cup of vegetables,” my colleague Dina ElBoghdady explained last week.

The Obama administration guidelines, outlined in January, would have nixed tomato paste’s extra credit, counting a half cup as a half cup. “Under this proposal, schools would credit tomato paste and puree based on actual volume as served,” the regulation, published in the Federal Register on Jan. 13, 2011, explains. “Schools would not be allowed to credit a volume of fruits or vegetables that is more than the actual serving size.”

What happened this week was that Congress blocked that change: Tomato paste will continue to get outsized credit, with one-eighth of a cup essentially counted as something four times larger."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/did-congress-declare-pizza-as-a-vegetable-not-exactly/2011/11/20/gIQABXgmhN_blog.html

spurgeonryan said:
They are not just going to start eating foreign food to them and things that they do not like. Kids will just opt for the next best thing. Maybe Portion control would be a better option? If a kid starves they will just have mommy or daddy buy them Burger king everyday. Unless you live in New York you can even get it with a extra large soft drink.

Maybe they should just think about making their junk food ( pizza, burgers, etc.) healthier!

If they made pizza's and burger's themselves, it would already be healthier. Less salt, fat or any other shit you get in processed foods. and it tastes better as well. I know as my mum makes nearly every meal from scratch, we rarely have take aways or ready meals. Hell, even ice cream tastes miles better if you make it yourself and it's healthier

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:
spurgeonryan said:
They are not just going to start eating foreign food to them and things that they do not like. Kids will just opt for the next best thing. Maybe Portion control would be a better option? If a kid starves they will just have mommy or daddy buy them Burger king everyday. Unless you live in New York you can even get it with a extra large soft drink.

Maybe they should just think about making their junk food ( pizza, burgers, etc.) healthier!

If they made pizza's and burger's themselves, it would already be healthier. Less salt, fat or any other shit you get in processed foods. and it tastes better as well. I know as my mum makes nearly every meal from scratch, we rarely have take aways or ready meals. Hell, even ice cream tastes miles better if you make it yourself and it's healthier

I was going to go on with a joke about having the kids make their own meals, work on a farm, etc...   However, I believe home economics should be taught to younger kids.  It wasn't offered till I was in middle school and usually the guys just take shop.  I am pretty sure we were forced into at least one class of home economics that we couldn't substitute shop with.  From what I remember though I don't believe they focused on teaching us how to cook healthy meals.  It was a cake here and something else there...  Not sure why home economics, gym, and health class can't fight childhood obesity.  I blame the parents.

Kids these days eat alot of shi*, Thats why they are Fat and unhealthy, plus most of them dont do Sports anymore because of Xbox, Lol and WoW.

Sad True about our Society, if you are like me make sure you eat healthy and exercise alot.

Bar Brothers style