By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Everything that is wrong with mainstream videogame advertisement, in a HARDCORE video.

Tagged games:

I present to you this horrible PR video advertisement, for a videogame.

This, in my humble opinion, reflects everything wrong with modern mainstream videogames' advertisement and presence in the market.

This game is not being sold on its own merits, there is no explanation of what the game really...is.  You don't understand the game mechanics. You don't know its length, whether it has a story, any explanation of the featureset it may or may not have.

This game is being sold as a life style product. 

As a cigarette company may advertise cigarettes: "We are no longer advertising what you get when you buy the product, instead we advertise who you are when you buy the product." So do certain companies advertise modern videogames.

"This hardcore game with bearded men and shootbang? Fucking awesome. If you consider yourself a real gamer, you have no excuse to not pick this up." 

Now just watch as the quality of these games decreases and decreases as this endemic marketing BS becomes more important than the videogame itself. Well, it's already happening. 

Around the Network

I completely agree.

You really don't like this video, do you Sal?

It's not how I'd advertise a game, and it does nothing to entice me towards it... but it'll probably work.

You should be an editor. Preach it brotha.

Oh my, I definitely do never want to be one of those people in the video.

So I will not byu this game.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network
Faxanadu said:
Oh my, I definitely do never want to be one of those people in the video.

So I will not byu this game.

You aren't hardcore enough for it?

I am not bearded nerd enough for it

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Oh god, that trailer is really terrible.

HEY LOOK, THESE CORE GAMERS LIKE THE GAME. SEE, THEY ARE CORE. THEY EVEN CALL THEMSELVES CORE. BUY THIS GAME NOW.

It isn't even so bad it's good. It's just painful to watch.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

This game is being sold as a life style product.

That hits the nail on the head, right there.

Reminds me of the movie trailers for Righteous Kill: "Pacino...DeNiro...do we need to say anything else?"

The entire adverstisement is pretty hollow. The responses seem coached, too.

pezus said:

Who even identifies himself as a "core gamer" outside of a gaming forum? 

A guy with an ironic beard and an ironic trucker hat.