Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U region locked

"Boo"

-That is all

"Like you know"

Around the Network
Roma said:
JazzB1987 said:
Roma said:
meh we get most games in Europe so no big problem for me! would have been nice to be able to play games that might never come tough :P

but tis no surprise at all!

Since when do we get most games?  (and I am not talking about Rainfall crap)

For example where is my Earth Seeker?

that's one game. what more of the Japanese games do you want?

they're not going to lose money on every game because a few people want few games in their region

Arc Rise Fantasia came to the US not to EU     Tales of Graces didn't come to the west

Takt of Magic                                     zangeki no reginleiv

Captain Rainbow

etc. etc.

@happyd: That must've been a one time thing or something that slipped by Nintendo (wether from manufacters or not) and a first party Nintendo game no less...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Roma said:
JazzB1987 said:
Roma said:
meh we get most games in Europe so no big problem for me! would have been nice to be able to play games that might never come tough :P

they're not going to lose money on every game because a few people want few games in their region

Arc Rise Fantasia came to the US not to EU     Tales of Graces didn't come to the west

Takt of Magic                                     zangeki no reginleiv                         Captain Rainbow

etc. etc.

"they're not going to lose money on every game because a few people want few games in their region "

What? Whats the point of this sentence?   Sure they wont release them here but in case of Arc Rise Fantasia which is playable in English (US VERSION) there would be no need to lose money on people like me if the console would be region free.

Not unexpected, unfortunately. If they added region-locking to the 3DS, of course the Wii U was going to be.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I don't care.

The games I want I buy right here in Europe anyway. Why buy them anyplace else? I'm not interested in the vast majority of the Japanese exclusives anyway. And like has been said, this is not even a surprise. I think the DS was the only Nintendo console to not be region locked, and it's rare for them not to be in other companies too.

VicViper said:

Lol, I never checked, but from some comments here (like Happydolphin's "on gamecube days, pigs flew") I thought Nintendo arrived late to this region lock thing "party"

I do remember the famous 72/96 pins cartridges though... now there's a good region lock, just buy a 9.99 dollar adapter and you're good to go.

Heh, the SNES region lock is even better. Just make differently shaped cartridges!

That's it!

JazzB1987 said:
Roma said:
JazzB1987 said:
Roma said:

etc. etc.

"they're not going to lose money on every game because a few people want few games in their region "

What? Whats the point of this sentence?   Sure they wont release them here but in case of Arc Rise Fantasia which is playable in English (US VERSION) there would be no need to lose money on people like me if the console would be region free.

as others have stated before if it was region free people would just buy from the cheapest country. I myself would get them from the US which is a lot less than what I would get them for here in Sweden. having region lock gives them more control over how many copies of a game they should send to each region for instance.

they make different amount of cash depending on what region you buy from as well as how the currency is. 

I see there are a few more games than the few I had in mind but still very few people wold both getting those games. I have no interest in them at all but that's just me

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Roma said:

as others have stated before if it was region free people would just buy from the cheapest country. I myself would get them from the US which is a lot less than what I would get them for here in Sweden. having region lock gives them more control over how many copies of a game they should send to each region for instance.

they make different amount of cash depending on what region you buy from as well as how the currency is. 

I see there are a few more games than the few I had in mind but still very few people wold both getting those games. I have no interest in them at all but that's just me

Yes, but at least it's a sale even if not as good a deal. They should really let the developers and publishers decide.

There is no need to make every region region free you know. Make japanese games region free (not the console) and make the rest region locked. and btw there is something called Import duty & taxes so its not always cheaper to import from a country with usually lower prices.

Its not like japan has the lowest prices or something.

Or make it like this.
Make US consoles play EU and Japanese games (good for US players) (Or just JAP games so Europeans wont import US consoles)

And make EU consoles play Japanese games (so the greedy idiots dont need to worry about less money The lack of US games for Europeans is not so good but better playing EU and JAP  games only is better than no JAP games at all.)

I mean I would have loved to own Arc Rise Fantasia and Earth Seeker etc but this way they wont see my money at all but I could play the games anyways because I have a modified console.

There is smarter ways than region locking everything. But at least they dont region lock controllers anymore (I have 2 US-NES controllers that dont work with my PAL-NES.)

OR

In a world of shitty micro transactions   (and region locking being a matter of firmware etc  and not hardware) Why dont they allow me to buy Japanese games or US games and pay a 10dollar UNLOCK FEE  so this one single game is playable on my system?  Better than no game at all.

JazzB1987 said:

There is no need to make every region region free you know. Make japanese games region free (not the console) and make the rest region locked. and btw there is something called Import duty & taxes so its not always cheaper to import from a country with usually lower prices.

also there is shipping costs.

but this is money the publisher wont see ... and it would be still cheaper to import > lost money for publisher > region lock

(for countries like e.g. sweden, australia and japan to an extend) where a game is like $120 but for the rest of eu its like $80-90 except uk where most people import from or us ...