By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U region locked

Lusche said:
JazzB1987 said:

There is no need to make every region region free you know. Make japanese games region free (not the console) and make the rest region locked. and btw there is something called Import duty & taxes so its not always cheaper to import from a country with usually lower prices.

also there is shipping costs.

but this is money the publisher wont see ... and it would be still cheaper to import > lost money for publisher > region lock

(for countries like e.g. sweden, australia and japan to an extend) where a game is like $120 but for the rest of eu its like $80-90 except uk where most people import from or us ...

I know but then again  as I said before

"In a world of shitty micro transactions   (and Region Locking being a matter of firmware etc  and not hardware) Why dont they allow me to buy Japanese games or US games and pay a 10dollar UNLOCK FEE  so this one single game is playable on my system?  Better than no game at all." 

You know like selling  individual region free patches  like selling Wiiware games.

Around the Network

as long as we get the games released in our region i don't care... but this gen pissed me off as far as good Wii games not releasing in my region goes

S.Peelman said:
VicViper said:

Lol, I never checked, but from some comments here (like Happydolphin's "on gamecube days, pigs flew") I thought Nintendo arrived late to this region lock thing "party"

I do remember the famous 72/96 pins cartridges though... now there's a good region lock, just buy a 9.99 dollar adapter and you're good to go.

Heh, the SNES region lock is even better. Just make differently shaped cartridges!

That's it!

Sega did the same with the MegaDrive/Genesis!

But by breaking 2 little bits of plastic the cartridges the problem was solved.

OT. I can't believe how many people complain, like if this is something new. I've never had a doubt that it would be this way.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JazzB1987 said:

"In a world of shitty micro transactions   (and Region Locking being a matter of firmware etc  and not hardware) Why dont they allow me to buy Japanese games or US games and pay a 10dollar UNLOCK FEE  so this one single game is playable on my system?  Better than no game at all." 

Damn ... I would even pay that with a smiling face ...

shame you arent a ceo of a jp gamecompany :(

I've never been interested in buying a game from the PAL regions (Xenoblade was the only time I even considered it) so this doesn't affect me too much. But I can see how this will annoy some people.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:

I know but then again  as I said before

You know like selling  individual region free patches  like selling Wiiware games.

At times it makes me wonder if some of us are the only intelligent people on this planet. That is a super smart idea. Let people pay if they want a game that badly. With the current solution, we're just faced with a middle finger and all we want to do is pull it back.

Now I can't bring my Harvest Moon games over here... sigh...

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Too bad, it would have been the moment to drop that. But when you look at the bigger picture it's not going to change much : few people play in Japanese and most games get a simultaneous US/EU release. Only people like me who massively import games from Japan will be penalized. Now if I am indeed going to buy WiiU I have to buy a Japanese one. One more reason to keep the the wait and see approach

Ugh I hate region locked consoles. I travel around a lot, it sucks for me.

mike_intellivision said:
To the vast majority of people who buy systems, this is a non-issue.
And for the vast majority of games, this is a non-issue.

As someone in the US, I can count on one hand the number of releases that I might have bought if they were made available in the NA market (both games from JP and EU).

Region-free would have been nice. But because of music rights and ratings boards and such, it is much more complicated than others make it out to be.

Mike from Morgantown

Bolded parts: As an European gamer, I strongly have to disagree.

The DS was not region locked (except for DSi downloads and a few other DSi specific cartridges). I imported lots of Japanese DS games which were localized for US but not for EU, mainly RPGs: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Etrian Odyssey II, Glory of Heracles, Knights in the Nightmare, Nostalgia, Radiant Historia, Sands of Destruction, Summon Night: Twin Age, The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road, plus the unique adventure game 999 - 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. Some great games.

Additionally, there were plenty of other good to great Japanese games which were localized for US but not for EU (and which I didn't buy), e.g. Etrian Odyssey III, The Dark Spire, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 1+2, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier, Theresia: Dear Emile, Tokyo Beat Down, Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2.

Finally, there even were a few very interesting US games which were never released in Europe either, such as Contra 4 and Robocalypse.

If the DS would've been region locked, I would have been forced to either buy two DS systems, EU+US, or to buy an US system and import all DS games from US, even the ones which got a separate EU release.

So, depending on the system region-locking actually can be an issue - it would have been a huge issue for me and other EU gamers on DS, it would have been an issue on PSP (Jeanne D'Arc, to name one great PSP game which was never released in EU) and it probably will be an issue on 3DS - and keeping a system region-free is actually not complicated, not for Sony and obviously not even for Nintendo.

I agree though that region-locking wasn't a big issue for Wii and I hope it will be the same for Wii U.