By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U region locked

I concur this is insignificant to the vast majority of users and to the vast majority of games.

It will only prompt some to 'hack' the WiiU to allow region-free gaming and once that happens pirating will surely follow. Not that someone wouldn't do it eventually anyway, but now they feel justified in doing it.

More annoying to me is not being able to play Wii games (that use GC controller/Pro) on the Gamepad.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

As far as I know, the PS3 is the first home console to be region free. The 360 has region free games too, but it's far from being standard for the console.

I don't own a Wii... but is this easily bypassable?
I do remember region locks from the old days that were.

Can we expect a "solution" for Wii U or does this involve piracy too?

VicViper said:
RolStoppable said:

As far as I know, the PS3 is the first home console to be region free. The 360 has region free games too, but it's far from being standard for the console.

I don't own a Wii... but is this easily bypassable?
I do remember region locks from the old days that were.

Can we expect a "solution" for Wii U or does this involve piracy too?

you can soft mod the Wii to play imported games, thats how alot of people were able to play Xenoblade before US release and how I was able to play Fatal Frame.

oniyide said:

you can soft mod the Wii to play imported games, thats how alot of people were able to play Xenoblade before US release and how I was able to play Fatal Frame.

But does that mod allows piracy too? Like, is it the same process?

VicViper said:
RolStoppable said:

Every Nintendo home console has been region locked.

But anyway, this is another one of those problems that get blown way out of proportion.

Lol, I never checked, but from some comments here (like Happydolphin's "on gamecube days, pigs flew") I thought Nintendo arrived late to this region lock thing "party"

I do remember the famous 72/96 pins cartridges though... now there's a good region lock, just buy a 9.99 dollar adapter and you're good to go.

The only reason I said that is because I imported jungle beat on the GC from Japan (for some reason, I can't remember), and it worked fine on my cube. As for official whether it is or not I have no idea.

All I know is that I was playing japanese DK Jungle beat on my launch GC console.

@blown out of proportion. Not when NoA is being sucky at localization, not then.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
VicViper said:
RolStoppable said:

Every Nintendo home console has been region locked.

But anyway, this is another one of those problems that get blown way out of proportion.

Lol, I never checked, but from some comments here (like Happydolphin's "on gamecube days, pigs flew") I thought Nintendo arrived late to this region lock thing "party"

I do remember the famous 72/96 pins cartridges though... now there's a good region lock, just buy a 9.99 dollar adapter and you're good to go.

The only reason I said that is because I imported jungle beat on the GC from Japan (for some reason, I can't remember), and it worked fine on my cube. As for official whether it is or not I have no idea.

All I know is that I was playing japanese DK Jungle beat on my launch GC console.

@blown out of proportion. Not when NoA is being sucky at localization, not then.

You will have used the Freeloader disc I assume? I had to use that the one and only time I've ever imported something, that being Winning Eleven on the GC.

VGChartz

Roma said:
meh we get most games in Europe so no big problem for me! would have been nice to be able to play games that might never come tough :P

but tis no surprise at all!

Since when do we get most games?  (and I am not talking about Rainfall crap)

For example where is my Earth Seeker?

milkyjoe said:

You will have used the Freeloader disc I assume? I had to use that the one and only time I've ever imported something, that being Winning Eleven on the GC.

I didn't even know that existed. I just bought the game and it worked, legit copy, box, manual and disc.

RolStoppable said:

Not sure, but I don't think it takes much effort or knowledge to get games from other regions running on a Wii.

There will eventually be a solution for the Wii U. But in the beginning of a console's lifecycle the manufacturer is eager to keep the region lock, so firmware updates will continually make new games unplayable and the solution needs to be updated as well. This stuff continues until the manufacturer stops caring.

There might be another "solution" though. Digital distribution gets rid of the inventory risk which is among the main reasons why games don't get released worldwide. Publishers could decide to go with download-only releases in certain regions, so the region lock wouldn't matter anymore, unless you absolutely need to own a box and booklet.

That would be a good solution.

Another also, to add, would be to let publishers choose what they want to lock themselves and leave it up to them. That way Nintendo doesn't get the crap for taking matters into their own hands.

If Persona 4 could be the only game region locked, I would assume the same would be possible to software lock a game depending on the region.

JazzB1987 said:
Roma said:
meh we get most games in Europe so no big problem for me! would have been nice to be able to play games that might never come tough :P

but tis no surprise at all!

Since when do we get most games?  (and I am not talking about Rainfall crap)

For example where is my Earth Seeker?

that's one game. what more of the Japanese games do you want?

they're not going to lose money on every game because a few people want few games in their region

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(