By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U region locked

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Then buy a European Wii U? :P

Seriously though, do they have anything to gain from this decision? Seems like nothing but lost software sales to me.

How? If you buy a game from the the country you buy it directly from them. But if buy it second-hand ebay or whatever they lose money.

Unless there is a deal with Nintendo to import worldwide there would be no way they could make profit from it.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Around the Network

This is Nintendo, ofcourse they would do it.
The day they would stop region-lock their consoles is the day that pigs fly.
Simple as that...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
TripleMMM said:
This is Nintendo, ofcourse they would do it.
The day they would stop region-lock their consoles is the day that pigs fly.
Simple as that...

Like the Gamecube days? Yeah I saw lots of pigs back then.

While I do not completely understand why Nintendo continues to region lock their consoles, I know for a fact I will find a way around this region locking and get to play some of my favoritye Japanese only franchises. Nintendo, let us play all the titles. This is one time I will not agree with what you do. It should be easy for me to be able to enjoy your import titles. Especially considering I am going to enjoy them anyway.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

I don't use the fact that my PS3 is region-free very much in all honesty. Most of the stuff that gets an American release these days get a European one too. Even if I have to wait a little bit longer (Graces F), I don't mind.

That said, if America were getting things I wanted that Europe weren't (like, for example, Ragnarok Odyssey on PS Vita) then I would be tempted to import.

I get the feeling it's the other way round with Nintendo - we (Europe) get the Xenoblades, Pandora's Tower and stuff like that first, in which case this wouldn't bother me too much. But still. Maybe I will feel the need to import a Wii-U game one day, and not being able to is a bit of a kick in the nuts.

Around the Network

Sucky news for some, but region locked consoles have never been a problem for me.

-

mike_intellivision said:
To the vast majority of people who buy systems, this is a non-issue.
And for the vast majority of games, this is a non-issue.

As someone in the US, I can count on one hand the number of releases that I might have bought if they were made available in the NA market (both games from JP and EU).

Region-free would have been nice. But because of music rights and ratings boards and such, it is much more complicated than others make it out to be.

Mike from Morgantown

Luckily, some companies care about more than just their majority customer, and reward them with good practices like region free gaming.

Maria from Korea. 

Again, people should treat this matter more lightly, like the way it really is, a light issue.

It might bite them in the future. Or in the past... Playstation 1 and 2 were region locked...

* Edited for wrong info on Nintendo consoles region locks

RolStoppable said:
VicViper said:

Again, people should treat this matter more lightly, like the way it really is, a light issue.

It might bite them in the future. Or in the past... Playstation 1 and 2 were region locked... while N64 and Gamecube were not.

Every Nintendo home console has been region locked.

But anyway, this is another one of those problems that get blown way out of proportion.

Lol, I never checked, but from some comments here (like Happydolphin's "on gamecube days, pigs flew") I thought Nintendo arrived late to this region lock thing "party"

I do remember the famous 72/96 pins cartridges though... now there's a good region lock, just buy a 9.99 dollar adapter and you're good to go.

Tbh I don't really see this as an issue as the are so few games on my PS3 that I would import so I doubt it'll change on the U, I'm also hearing how more publishers are pushing for region locking for some reason but is indicated that they may want to gain back some control over sales in regions.