By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Guardian's iPhone 5 review - "iPhone 5 has it all – and it is ahead of the competition again" 5/5 stars

pezus said:
man-bear-pig said:
pezus said:
man-bear-pig said:
pezus said:
man-bear-pig said:
joora said:
No HD display, no NFC and OS that is showing it's age... truly ahead of competition.

Retina display is HD....

iOS 6 is released today...so it's not old by any means...lol?

It's not HD based on the official classification. It has a very high pixel density though so it doesn't matter much

But yeah, I think price should be talked more about in reviews. This phone is way more expensive than alternatives from other manufacturers.

Such as...?

Galaxy S3...

On a contract Galaxy s3 and iPhone 5 can be bought for the same price (at least in the UK). Besides there's not much of difference in actual price between the galaxy s3 and iPhone 5 anyway. Annnnyway, the iPhone 5 is superior to the s3 in nearly every way

Wasn't there an around 30-40% price difference from a galaxy to the cheapest iPhone? I don't care about contracts at all.

And to the anyway: Just no...

Just yes.

You either believe that ridiculous poster Samsung released or you know nothing about smartphones. Which is it?

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
DirtyP2002 said:
What is next? Bild praising it?!

http://www.bild.de/digital/handy-und-telefon/iphone5/iphone-5-test-26261460.bild.html

"TEST-ERGEBNIS

Auch wenn sich das iPhone 5 nicht kabellos laden lässt (was andere Smartphones bieten) und der Bildschirm beim Lesen dunkel wird (was andere vermeiden) – bei Leistung und Design setzt Apple Maßstäbe, an denen sich die Konkurrenz messen lassen muss!

"

That may upset people who are overly into spec numbers. ^^,

So it was suggested that Apple will flog 6 million over the weekend which does make you think iSheep, hard not too really. It was also suggested we put those iSheep against a wall (Would have to be in China only wall big enough) and shoot them.

But is it really their fault after all you read articles like this from the Guardian who claim Apple have produced a perfect phone and you start to realise its not all their fault. Also its not a bad OS or phone so its a bit like the old phrase nobody got sacked for buynig IBM. I am with Kowenicki the "journos" still thinks the world still spins around Apple, after all desktop publishing is not possible on anything else.

Slimebeast mentiond he thought WP8 would die because nobody cares and everyone hates on Microsoft (Mostly irrationaly) and this may well prove prophetic. If this did happen it would be a real shame as for my money some of the best phones are coming too the WP8 ecosystem certainly I see more innovation and invention coming from the likes of Nokia in the shape of the 920.

WP8 is also getting some of the best Andriod hardware, this time I am thinking of the Ativ a relative clone of the SIII and later today we will probably get a HTC One X equivalent. So it may come true but for me this is the area where things are geting stirred up.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

Too big to fail.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

ethomaz said:

pezus said:

I've used a phone with a Retina Display and I've used a Galaxy S3. 'Retina Display' is just a fancy term apple made up to make it seem fancier than it is.

lol it's not.

Er yeah its a made up,  its not a standard. Try looking up "Retina" in your display standards.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network

Shouldn't this go in the Mobile Section.

Jay520 said:
Shouldn't this go in the Mobile Section.

No, it's fine where it is.

kowenicki said:
It isn't just about the hardware alone, i do agree with that. It is possible to argue that the Iphone can be matched by many phones. However, what put me off previously was Android. I agree with others that Andoroid is a total mess. Its all over the place. I cant stand it, its terrible!!

Windows8 has changed this. So I can now go for a equivalent (perhaps better) UI/OS and also choose from phones from other manufacturers that will, without any question, surpass the iphone5 soon if they haven't already. The Nokia 920 is better in many ways.

How am I wrong? Hit me.

Please don't mention Apps, its a red herring. Windows has 100,000 apps already and this is going to explode once windows 8 and tablets launch.

WP8 phones are the only real alternatives to the iPhone, in my book.

It's the only OS that tries to do things its own way, like iOS does.  And, although I haven't got the chance to try one yet, is looking really intuitive and user friendly, as well as being sleek design-wise.

Meh, they can say its the bestest phone ever but Im over the iPhone...and high end overpriced equipment in general.

kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:
man-bear-pig said:
Slimebeast said:
man-bear-pig said:
Slimebeast said:
I hate that it's all going so easy for Apple. They are far too huge.

From almost dead to crush everything in less than a decade. It's unfair.

Meanwhile MS is struggling. Surface will fail and Win Phone 8 will fail. No one simply cares.

I'm pretty much certain that Surface will NOT fail. It will be huge

It won't. The product itself looks great but the name is weak and people dislike Mirosoft all over the world, it's a fact. And it will be expensive, more than 500 Dollars probably.

It will, and I'd be willing to bet in it.

"people dislike Microsoft all over the world" - that is simply not true... The Mircosoft brand is huge ALL OVER THE WORLD

Also, 300-800 dollars is not expensive for a top of the range tablet

Do you honestly believe the cheapest Surface will cost only 300 Dollars? No, it's impossible. 500 Dollars minimum.

What does surface have to do with it?  It isnt the be all and end all for MS? Lots of manufacturers will release Windows8 tablets.  You do know this... right?  Sony, Samsung, Lenovo, Ho, Acer, Asus etc etc.  all developing tablets around Windows8.

Windows8 as a tablet interface will dominate.  There really is no debate about that tbh.

lol, such optimism.

What is Microsoft's presence right now in the smartphone and tablet market? Around 1% and 0% respectively.

They are newcomers into a well established and highly competitive market. Apple OS and Android already conquered all the mind share. Surface doesn't even have a release date yet. Meanwhile in the phone business Nokia is a dinosaur taking its last breaths, Windows phone is finished before it even started.

Asus, Lenovo and Samsung developing tablets around Windows 8 yes, but that doesn't mean they will push and market them. These guys already have broad product portfolios in all categories. They're making Windows tablets as a niche segment.

And about the Metro interface, truth is most people think it looks ugly. They feel treated as they are morons by these huge square icons. I personally kinda like the Metro style but among the populace it's simply not a cool interface.