By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Guardian's iPhone 5 review - "iPhone 5 has it all – and it is ahead of the competition again" 5/5 stars

kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:

lol what do you mean?

What you are saying is that Sony, Samsung, HP, Lebovo, Acer, Asus, DELL etc etc etc are designing and manufacturing Windows8 tablets just for the hell of it, they expect them to fail and are doing just because...? 

Get a grip.  Your bias is overwhelmingly silly.  Didn't you used to a 360 fan way back?  I guess reformed smokers are the worst arent they.

I'm still a Microsoft and Xbox fan at heart. I just discovered that Sony offered the better product.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Hynad said:
kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:
kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:
kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:

Do you honestly believe the cheapest Surface will cost only 300 Dollars? No, it's impossible. 500 Dollars minimum.

What does surface have to do with it?  It isnt the be all and end all for MS? Lots of manufacturers will release Windows8 tablets.  You do know this... right?  Sony, Samsung, Lenovo, Ho, Acer, Asus etc etc.  all developing tablets around Windows8.

Windows8 as a tablet interface will dominate.  There really is no debate about that tbh.

lol, such optimism.

What is Microsoft's presence right now in the smartphone and tablet market? Around 1% and 0% respectively.

They are newcomers into a well established and highly competitive market. Apple OS and Android already conquered all the mind share. Surface doesn't even have a release date yet. Meanwhile in the phone business Nokia is a dinosaur taking its last breaths, Windows phone is finished before it even started.

Asus, Lenovo and Samsung developing tablets around Windows 8 yes, but that doesn't mean they will push and market them. These guys already have broad product portfolios in all categories. They're making Windows tablets as a niche segment.

And about the Metro interface, truth is most people think it looks ugly. They feel treated as they are morons by these huge square icons. I personally kinda like the Metro style but among the populace it's simply not a cool interface.

lol.  WTF?  I have no words for this post. 

lol what do you mean?

What you are saying is that Sony, Samsung, HP, Lebovo, Acer, Asus, DELL etc etc etc are designing and manufacturing Windows8 tablets just for the hell of it, they expect them to fail and are doing just because...? 

Get a grip.  Your bias is overwhelmingly silly.  Didn't you used to a 360 fan way back?  I guess reformed smokers are the worst arent they.

That's kind of ironic.  You're pointing finger at his apparent bias, while saying that WP8 as a tablet interface will dominate (and that it's not even debatable) based on speculation alone.  Everyone on this site and their grandmas know that you've always been a vocal defender of all that is Microsoft... 

So yeah, I think it's really hypocritical of you to say he's biased in any way.

Because it is inevitable and it isnt debatable.    In the same way that windows8 will be the biggest OS just behind Windows7 within 12 months.  This isnt bias, its common sense.

The same common sense that made the Windows phones prior to the WP8 ones so successful?

If that is all that you can offer to support your "undebatable insight into the future", color me unimpressed.

kowenicki said:
Hynad said:
kowenicki said:
Hynad said:
kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:
kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:
kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:

Do you honestly believe the cheapest Surface will cost only 300 Dollars? No, it's impossible. 500 Dollars minimum.

What does surface have to do with it?  It isnt the be all and end all for MS? Lots of manufacturers will release Windows8 tablets.  You do know this... right?  Sony, Samsung, Lenovo, Ho, Acer, Asus etc etc.  all developing tablets around Windows8.

Windows8 as a tablet interface will dominate.  There really is no debate about that tbh.

lol, such optimism.

What is Microsoft's presence right now in the smartphone and tablet market? Around 1% and 0% respectively.

They are newcomers into a well established and highly competitive market. Apple OS and Android already conquered all the mind share. Surface doesn't even have a release date yet. Meanwhile in the phone business Nokia is a dinosaur taking its last breaths, Windows phone is finished before it even started.

Asus, Lenovo and Samsung developing tablets around Windows 8 yes, but that doesn't mean they will push and market them. These guys already have broad product portfolios in all categories. They're making Windows tablets as a niche segment.

And about the Metro interface, truth is most people think it looks ugly. They feel treated as they are morons by these huge square icons. I personally kinda like the Metro style but among the populace it's simply not a cool interface.

lol.  WTF?  I have no words for this post. 

lol what do you mean?

That's kind of ironic.  You're pointing finger at his apparent bias, while saying that WP8 as a tablet interface will dominate (and that it's not even debatable) based on speculation alone.  Everyone on this site and their grandmas know that you've always been a vocal defender of all that is Microsoft... 

Because it is inevitable and it isnt debatable.    In the same way that windows8 will be the biggest OS just behind Windows7 within 12 months.  This isnt bias, its common sense.

The same common sense that made the Windows phones prior to the WP8 ones so successful?

If that is all that you can offer to support your "undebatable insight into the future", color me unimpressed.

And the relevance of previous windows phones to a totally new ecosystem  of integrated windows 8 on 3 devices, pc's tablets and phoens is relevant because.....?

so go on, give me a market share percentage for the year of 2013 for windows8 tablets... just throw a number out ther for the hell of it.

2012 is something like:

ipad: 68%

android:  29%

others:  3%

And why would I do that?  Unlike you, I haven't seen the future. So I can't possibly come to a conclusion set in stone like yours.

kowenicki said:
Hynad said:
kowenicki said:
Hynad said:
kowenicki said:

And the relevance of previous windows phones to a totally new ecosystem  of integrated windows 8 on 3 devices, pc's tablets and phoens is relevant because.....?

so go on, give me a market share percentage for the year of 2013 for windows8 tablets... just throw a number out ther for the hell of it.

2012 is something like:

I would say 4-5%.

kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:
kowenicki said:
Hynad said:

2012 is something like:

I would say 4-5%.

I'd say approaching 10% for 2013, rising steadily thereafter. They will def have more than 4% of the market for 2013.

It will be interesting to see.

What do you believe for the smartphone market and Win 8 in 2013? 2%? 5%?

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
pezus said:
Still, there are no facts that say Retina display>Super Amoled Plus. That's what you seemed to imply with your post about it at least.

Retina display have better natural-looking colors, better outdoor and wide-angle visibility IMO.

The Super AMOLED Plus only have better contrasts.

IMO.

Super AMOLED should have better viewing angles too, since it's light emissive instead of transmissive screen technology.

Also, sAMOLED screens have different impact on battery life compared to LCD - it can drain much less or much more battery life depending on the viewed imagery, while LCD has same energy consumption regardless of what is being viewed.

But regarding "retina display" used by Apple (which is just a buzzword for IPS LCD screens widely used in mobile devices today):
I really cannot understand why has apple opted for a non standard resolution of the screen (which is somewhat below 720p HD screens). That means that every native 720p HD video needs to be either resized (and will result in lower quality and drain more resources) or slightly cropped.