By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [TGS] PlayStation 3 SLIM v2.0 CONFIRMED [9/25 NA Release]

What's with the gimpy 12 gb version for Europe? Does the os take a bite out of it? Cause otherwise you can't play GT5 on it... :(

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
Chark said:
ithis said:
I don't think it's bad looking at all. And I am really intrigued by that flash memory model.
Is it worth it buying that and adding in another hard drive for storage(if you can)? I'm thinking it might, since large capacity SSD is expensive and you can't have both on other models.

If you are in EU, the 500gb model is 70euros more. So search around for how much a compatible HDD will cost you and decide. Though, I'd say take any bundles into consideration. If there is a decent 500gb bundle for the same 299euro price, it might be worth it if the 12gb model doesn't have a bundle to counter it.

I'm thinking more about the extra performance that you can get from a flash disk and looking at it from the PC builder's POV. Right now, buying a small SSD for speed and a large HDD for storage is the efficient way to include SSDs into a new PC. The same could be now possible with the 12GB PS3 (if one can add an extra HDD).

12 should have been a cheaper model, Worldwide.

250/500 should have been kept at the same price of current HW.

People would buy the 12gb model for the lower entry cost. There are only a handful of games that have install sizes larger than 12gb (Resident Evil 5 is one) and users can always delete old game content to make way for others. Not very convenient but doable.

The other reason would be to purchase whatever HDD or SSD you want for the system. I don't know what you can get for 70 Euros but you can shop around and you could end up sitting pretty.

What I don't understand is why the 12gb isn't launching everywhere. In the US it would have hit that $199 price. In japan probably 20,000 or 21,000 Yen. Maybe EU/PAL is serving as a testing grounds to determine how the market will react and they will respond accordingly.

Sony is primed for a strategic price drop next year and I expect decent sales for the system until 2014. A great finish toward the launch of the PS4.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

i think some retailers (cough, amazon, cough) will sell it for a little less.. but with that being said, shit, that thing's ugly as hell.

and a 12GB Version? that's terrible, i mean, pick the wrong games to play and the thing is filled with effin' install data 2 days after purchase.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Around the Network

Ah.. sneaky Sony..  http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/09/19/ps3-gets-smaller-and-lighter/

owners of the 12GB model will be able to connect a 2.5 inch SATA internal hard drive with use of an official Mounting Bracket, or opt for purchase of an official PlayStation 250GB internal HDD.

so you have to buy the official Mounting Bracket if you want to add a sata drive of your own..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

My only questions are around the toploading drive and durability.

1. Is it an actual top loading drive?
2. Is is manaully slider? if so anyone thing it will wear out quickly?
3. Should I grab the current version of PS3 rather than a super slim (money is no object). I just want the msot reliable possible as a backup to my phat?

very surprised at the pricing.

BenVTrigger said:
Yeah this thing is a new level of ugly. Not that it matters though as its obviously being made on the cheap. Just commenting on its asthetics

Ugly/Beautiful is a matter of taste. For me, I like this monolithic design sony follows for its products

NiKKoM said:

Ah.. sneaky Sony..  http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/09/19/ps3-gets-smaller-and-lighter/

owners of the 12GB model will be able to connect a 2.5 inch SATA internal hard drive with use of an official Mounting Bracket, or opt for purchase of an official PlayStation 250GB internal HDD.

so you have to buy the official Mounting Bracket if you want to add a sata drive of your own..

It's sad that Sony is copying the worst things that MS does with their official accessories.