By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [TGS] PlayStation 3 SLIM v2.0 CONFIRMED [9/25 NA Release]

leo-j said:
$269 for a 250GB PS3 with UNCH 3, DUST content, 1 month ps plus

yes the initial price did go up, but the amount of value has gone up drasticly

Its all content that probably cost Sony almost nothing to include.

I think people would have been fine with the price staying the same. But an increase? That takes some balls.

I imagine there will be discussions much like this...

Person A: "So did the PS3 get a price cut?!"

Person B: "No... but lets talk about value!"

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I really thought we would see a $200 PS3..Sony would've won the holiday if they did.

Mr Puggsly said:
leo-j said:

I think people would have been fine with the price staying the same. But an increase? That takes some balls.

I imagine there will be discussions like this...

It's a smart move; Sony are in bad shape financially, so instead of cutting the price and hence the profit margin,  they up the price while using the new for factor and bundled content to offset the "it's more expensive" reaction; win-wn for them, they get more money and more sales.

I have three questions.

1. Why do we need another redesign?

2. If it's smaller and lighter why isn't it cheaper?

3. Why is it so ugly?

kain_kusanagi said:
I have three questions.

1. Why do we need another redesign?

2. If it's smaller and lighter why isn't it cheaper?

3. Why is it so ugly?

1. It's cheaper to produce to increase profit margins
2. It's cheaper to produce to increase profit margins
3. It's cheaper to produce to increase profit margins

Around the Network

Sony actually made the right call here by not cutting price and sacrificing potential marketshare in order to increase profits. As a business a price cut really didnt make too much sense.

Though I think its clear MS will outsell PS3 considerably this holiday

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
leo-j said:

It's a smart move; Sony are in bad shape financially, so instead of cutting the price and hence the profit margin,  they up the price while using the new for factor and bundled content to offset the "it's more expensive" reaction; win-wn for them, they get more money and more sales.

The initial cost to get the hardware has gone up. So yeah, its more expensive. People often look at the entry fee more than value. Perhaps this will help put more money in Sony's pocket. But it might also help the competition.

I'm relucantant to call this a smart move.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
leo-j said:

The initial cost to get the hardware has gone up. So yeah, its more expensive. People often look at the entry fee more than value. Perhaps this will help put more money in Sony's pocket. But it might also help the competition.

I'm relucantant to call this a smart move.

I don't know, people seem to really like new form factors for consoles.
At the moment, I think profit is the right priority for Sony, not marketshare. (Though I think this will help both)

Am I the only one who thinks that this model looks better than the older ones? Please speak up....I'm so alone it seems.

The original was glossy and sleek sure, but it was huge, bulky, and noisy. The 2nd model is plain and blah, textured surface with nothing to it.

The new model is glossy, sleek, with a transitional aesthetic in the center. The front is flush, no cut out section were the disk drives were in the old one. Much nicer looking on the front end. It's smaller and streamlined. It's top isn't some solid canvas of blah. The ridges look sharp and I wager you might be surprised how nice it looks in person. As long as that sliding mechanism is top notch I think we have a winner. And did you see the thing on its stand? How is that not sexy?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Look better the ps3 slim v1 and worse then ps3 fat

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m