By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS2 2001 sales numbers vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =)

madskillz said:
outlawauron said:
madskillz said:
Fastrabbit09 said:
crazy's problem is that he has a viewpoint (ps3 will do well) and searches out data that can support it

the better method is to look at the data and draw conclusions from it

looking at all the data out there wouldn't lead someone to conclude that ps3 is gonna pwn

It's called propaganda. To see propaganda in action, tune in to FOX News.

Or CNN. Or MSNBC. I could go on ..... what was the point of that?

Propaganda is presenting a certain slant on news - presenting it from one viewpoint. That's not news - and FOX does an excellent job on that. News is  presenting all the facts, whether they're nice or horrible. And why do the rest of the networks and most media consider FOX a joke? It's so far to the right it's going left ... 

All "news" stations, "news" papers and blogs are presenting their news with a very large slant on it ... The ONLY reason fox gets blasted for it more than any other network is that their slant is in the opposite direction as the other networks.

Around the Network
madskillz said:
outlawauron said:
madskillz said:
Fastrabbit09 said:
crazy's problem is that he has a viewpoint (ps3 will do well) and searches out data that can support it

the better method is to look at the data and draw conclusions from it

looking at all the data out there wouldn't lead someone to conclude that ps3 is gonna pwn

It's called propaganda. To see propaganda in action, tune in to FOX News.

Or CNN. Or MSNBC. I could go on ..... what was the point of that?

Propaganda is presenting a certain slant on news - presenting it from one viewpoint. That's not news - and FOX does an excellent job on that. News is presenting all the facts, whether they're nice or horrible. And why do the rest of the networks and most media consider FOX a joke? It's so far to the right it's going left ...

Being 100% is objective and unbiased is near impossible, which makes journalism so damn hard! But I think Fox actually has auditions to find the most outrageously biased reporters and crew. I'm pretty sure they all live around/on Bush's ranch...

I think sony will surprise us this year.... NOWHERE near 16mil though, but most definatly more than 8-9mil. im going with common ground here. I say 12 which will put it out at 21mil 08's end

MGS4, KZ2, R2, LBP, GT5, T6, FFXIII, WKS, GoW3. AMAZING lineup!! =) MGS4, KZ2, R2, LBP, GT5, T6, FFXIII, WKS, GoW3. AMAZING lineup! =) Comparison between PS2 numbers of 2001 and PS3 numbers of 2008. =) 2008 is first year. 2008 is second PS3 year, 2001 was second PS2. =) MGS4, KZ2, R2, LBP, GT5, T6, FFXIII, WKS, GoW3, AMAZING lineup! =) MGS4, KZ2, R2, LBP, GT5, T6, FFXIII, WKS, GoW3. =) Comparison between PS2 numbers of 2001 and PS3 numbers of 2008. =) AMAZING lineup!!! 2008 is first year. 2008 is second PS3 year, 2001 was second PS2. =) MGS4, KZ2, R2, LBP, GT5, T6, FFXIII, WKS, GoW3, AMAZING lineup! =) MGS4, KZ2, R2, LBP, GT5, T6, FFXIII, WKS, GoW3. Comparison between PS2 numbers of 2001 and PS3 numbers of 2008. =) PS3 has AMAZING lineup! 2008 is first year. 2008 is second PS3 year, 2001 was second PS2. MGS4, KZ2, R2, LBP, GT5, T6, FFXIII, WKS, GoW3, AMAZING lineup! =) MGS4, KZ2, R2, LBP, GT5, T6, FFXIII, WKS, GoW3. AMAZING lineup!! =)Comparison between PS2 numbers of 2001 and PS3 numbers of 2008. 2008 is first year. 2008 is second PS3 year, 2001 was second PS2. =) MGS4, KZ2, R2, LBP, GT5, T6, FFXIII, WKS, GoW3. AMAZING lineup!

@dschumm,
I think this is a very interesting comparison and hope you continue to follow it.

16 Million is a strech for me but we will be seeing a very equivalent and excellent slate of title on the the PS3 this year compared to the PS2 reference year.
THNX.
neither did i say PS3 will sell 16 mln. in 2008. =))
My optimistic prediction still aimed to 14-15 mln. :)
16 mln. is a number to what ps3 should align/attain to the level. =]

@HappySqurriel,
It would be far more accurate to compare January 2002 numbers for the PS2 to January 2008 numbers for the PS3.
1) You see, the MAIN problem, games like MGS2, GTA3, FFX, DMC, GT3 were available on ps2 in January 2002, while PS3 don`t have GTA4, FFXIII, DMC4, GT5 in January 2008. And we all know that THESE games/brands were selling and will sell consoles.
2) look at the first thread of topic, 2002 is 3rd year of ps2 since launch.

@daactualfact,
PS3 is not a very good comparison to PS2 at all!!!!!! It won't reach PS2's success. PS2 got good press and great sales. The way your info is layed out, your making it look like PS3 will beat PS2. It doesn't compare saleswise.
That is ONE of the points i created this thread. We will see, time will show. For now i will be just tracking sales and adding them to the thread. =)
It would've been more interesting to compare Wii to PS2!!!!! (Now that is a fight!)
You can make that thread, if you want and interested. We live in a free world. =)

Sadly, a lot of folks don't agree with you. They think the PS3 will duplicate the PS2's success. Crazzy doesn't see that it won't happen, but it's best if everyone just smiles, nods in agreement.
@madskillz, nice quote, i will save it till time is right. =))

@ikilledkenny, nice post. =)
yeah, MARKET has changed since 2001, BUT it will be interesting (ATLEAST FOR ME) to compare sales and to see how they will differ.
I hope you enjoyed. :)

@Stever89, i am NOT comparing weeks since launch. I comapre ONLY 2001 PS2 sales numbers with 2008 PS3 sales number.
Sorry, but you wasted your time.

Yeah, MGS2 and GTAIII really drove the Playstation 2's mainstream success at the end of '01. The 3 has had some OK games, but nothing to really blow the socks off people and make them change the way they see gaming like those two did.
@GhaleonUnlimited, you see, i named only brand games which come in 2008. There are also games like Killzone2, Resistance2, LBP, Heavy Rain, WKS, Agency, (God of War3+Wardevil+Getawat3(maybe 2008)), 8 days, Tekken6, Haze, Naruto, Jakuza3, Disgaea3 and many other titles in 2008. And we DON`T know, how they will effect sales, BUT we are going to see that during this year. =)

@Slimebeast, this is for you. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

If you're going to make an argument CrazzyMan, you should probably do some basic research first:

• The PS2 launched on March 4th 2000 in Japan, October 26th 2000 in North America,and November 24th 2000 in Europe and was heavily supply limited until mid 2001.
  • January 2001 represents the PS2's first year in ALL regions
  • It would be far more accurate to compare January 2002 numbers for the PS2 to January 2008 numbers for the PS3.

A very very good point.

@HappySqurriel,
It would be far more accurate to compare January 2002 numbers for the PS2 to January 2008 numbers for the PS3.
1) You see, the MAIN problem, games like MGS2, GTA3, FFX, DMC, GT3 were available on ps2 in January 2002, while PS3 don`t have GTA4, FFXIII, DMC4, GT5 in January 2008. And we all know that THESE games/brands were selling and will sell consoles.
2) look at the first thread of topic, 2002 is 3rd year of ps2 since launch.

Haven't you, Sony fanboys, said how Uncharted, Lair, R&C, Warhawk, HS, etc, were great games? You can't complain about that now.

You are just trying to manipulate dates and data. 

2002, is 2nd year that PS2 was released in ALL regions. That's a very important point.

@PSaiki,

Haven't you, Sony fanboys, said how Uncharted, Lair, R&C, Warhawk, HS, etc, were great games? You can't complain about that now.
Haven`t PS3 outsold x360 WW in December, when ALL these games were already available on the market? =)
No, i am not manipulating data. Im am just STATING numbers.
2002, is 2nd year that PS2 was released in ALL regions. That's a very important point.
2008 is 1st year that PS3 will be availbale in ALL regions for whole year. That's a very important point.
Or do you think, that 30k during 16 weeks represent PS3 sales in Others?
http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=PS3&reg3=Total+Other&weeks=16&weekly=1
Then there is nothing to talk about, you can LEAVE this thread. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Guys, this thread is the least ridiculous of Crazzy's threads. I am all for somebody taking the time to do a week by week comparison. If you think the comparison is worthless, go to some other thread. Some of us are enjoying it; even if you think (like me) that PS3 will not perform nearly as well as he is forecasting, at least he is trying to do some analysis on numbers.

Behind Crazzy's usual inane PS3 domination predictions, he does come up with some interesting (and yes, at times bizzare) theories. Then, and this is the important part, he does the number checking and posts it. If only more of our threads were based in numerical analysis. I know some of you object to the fact that he does not seem to take into account the fact that times change, but using historical performance is not a bad thing. It's just not the only thing.

Keep it up Crazzy, this is an interesting read.

CrazzyMan said:

@Slimebeast, this is for you. =)

Hahaha, that's true.

Btw CrazzyMan, do you own a PS3 yourself yet? And how much do PS3 40GB and X360 Premium cost in Lithuania? Are they imported?