By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zeschuk and Muzyka leaving Bioware

Tagged games:

To be honest, I can't blame him. I'd rather make beer than Dragon Age III, too.

Around the Network

Maybe they'll go back to medicine or something related.   Both those guys are doctors who wanted to start a medical software company, hence Bioware.

Guess they figured its time to bail the sinking ship.

Fuck EA.

So they lost their passion for gaming? That's interesting. You don't often see high profile game designers abandon gaming entirely.

I don't know what to think of this. I love Dragon Age very much and with the main creators out I am afraid the integrity of that series is now at risk.

Slimebeast said:
So they lost their passion for gaming? That's interesting. You don't often see high profile game designers abandon gaming entirely.

I don't know what to think of this. I love Dragon Age very much and with the main creators out I am afraid the integrity of that series is now at risk.

They havn't been hands on since the pre EA days they have both had high level executive positions at EA managing studios and multiple projects their impact on each game has probably been minimal since. And even when they were deeply involved in the games their roles were as producers, not actually directors/writers since BG1. 

You should be looking at James Ohlen Game Director/Lead Designer of SW:TOR. Lead Designer of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, NWN, SW:KOTOR and Dragon Age. Casey Hudson director of SW:TOR, Jade Empire, ME series (became excutive producer of the series as well). Drew Karpyshyn who co wrote BG2, NWN and SW: TOR and was the lead writer of Jade Empire and Mass Effect 1 & 2 and who also left a while back. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
zarx said:
Slimebeast said:

They havn't been hands on since the pre EA days they have both had high level executive positions at EA managing studios and multiple projects their impact on each game has probably been minimal since. And even when they were deeply involved in the games their roles were as producers, not actually directors/writers since BG1. 

You should be looking at James Ohlen Game Director/Lead Designer of SW:TOR. Lead Designer of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, NWN, SW:KOTOR and Dragon Age. Casey Hudson director of SW:TOR, Jade Empire, ME series (became excutive producer of the series as well). Drew Karpyshyn who co wrote BG2, NWN and SW: TOR and was the lead writer of Jade Empire and Mass Effect 1 & 2 and who also left a while back. 

Oh I didn't know that. I thought that Muzuka and the other guy not only set the tone for DA and ME (with mature liberal themes and all) but also decided upon production and game design, no matter what their formal roles in Bioware were. I knew that the writer for these games is some other guy, but for me the story doesn't define a game.

So who's the brainchild behind Dragon Age then?

These two are businessmen, they are not designers. They are the soul of the company in some ways, but BioWare is a software company first and foremost, and its designers are the ones who make the games.

These guys sold the company five years ago. This day has been in the works for a long time.

Shame to see them go, because we owe them a lot of great games, but they haven't been creatively integral for a long time, if ever.

foxtail said:

Maybe they'll go back to medicine or something related.   Both those guys are doctors who wanted to start a medical software company, hence Bioware.

Huh. I knew Muzkya is constantly referred to as "doctor," but the rest of this is news to me.

Once bought by EA Bioware probably became containmented by sequelitist and doing endless sequels instead of crossing be boundries is probably what bored these guys into leaving. Having completed SWK:KoToR MMO, and ME3 they'd finished what they'd started and probably weren't at liberty to start anything really new.

Shame. Hopefully they'll get back into gaming, even if it's one iOS/Android where they can ship there own ship again.

Gamerace said:
Once bought by EA Bioware probably became containmented by sequelitist and doing endless sequels instead of crossing be boundries is probably what bored these guys into leaving. Having completed SWK:KoToR MMO, and ME3 they'd finished what they'd started and probably weren't at liberty to start anything really new.

Shame. Hopefully they'll get back into gaming, even if it's one iOS/Android where they can ship there own ship again.

They're done with gaming. They're actually retired. One of them is just going to go on a beer tour around the world.