By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - BioWare Announces DRAGON AGE 3

Not played either of the first two games but its the type of series I generally keep an eye on to see if it interests me. I've been interested to see how the Frostbite 2 Engine works in an open-world game, feel it could be quite spectacular if its done right.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

"features RPG gameplay"

Bloody well better, being an RPG series...

DA2 was crap compared to Origins, no ifs and buts about it. Inferior in every single way possible.

Silent user created protagonist back, if it is the Warden returning with save file import even better. Return all the RPG bits removed in DA2, bring back DA battle system with fewer enemies with more health and more threatening attacks, DA2 waves of pissants with no health was not a threat and was boring.

...and bring back the Darkspawn as the enemy, the Templar vs Mage thing is shit.

That's your opinion, but I disagree completely.  DA:O's story was mind-numbingly simplistic.  I've read that book and played that story dozens of times before.  Awakening added some interesting elements but was hardly enough.  Fighting orcs for Middle-Earth was not compelling in the least.

Also, though I loved it, DA:O had TONS of problems.  The combat was slow, sluggish, and easy to master simply by pulling enemies to you, with traps making it totally easy-mode.  Only the horrible, horrible AI of your companions made it difficult--seriously, I was defeated by doorways more than anything else.  DA2 on harder difficulty levels was more challenging, especially Templar groups.

Personally, I want something that combines the best elements of DA:O and DA2.  For example,  DA:O was over-kill on items while DA2 was too light on customization.  I'd like a middle-ground.  Like the vastly improved combat and AI from DA2 combined with the multiple environments of DA:O.

I played through both games at least three times each.  Both were a lot of fun, but both had their fair share of problems.

I'm currently replaying DA:O with all DLC + awakening before finally tackling DAII properly (only played it a few hours before finding myself having to put it down), so this announcement is pretty welcome.

DA:O is one of my favourite games of this generation, it mixed the greateast parts of both KOTOR and BGs systems into a fluid and well thought system (at least on PC). While it did have it's flaws (there was a lot of abuse-tactics available, that made the game pathetic easy even on Nightmare), it was a pretty solid game.

The same I can't say about DAII, which to me represents the pinnacle of over-simplification in any videogame I've ever played. Since a lot of people vouch for it's story, i'm going to play it only for that.

The title of DAIII is curious indeed. Inquisition makes me think that they'll continue the Mages vs Templars issue, with a much probable Exalted March on the Mage's Circle all around Thedas. Pretty interesting thematic.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

KylieDog said:
pokoko said:
KylieDog said:

"features RPG gameplay"

Bloody well better, being an RPG series...

DA2 was crap compared to Origins, no ifs and buts about it. Inferior in every single way possible.

Silent user created protagonist back, if it is the Warden returning with save file import even better. Return all the RPG bits removed in DA2, bring back DA battle system with fewer enemies with more health and more threatening attacks, DA2 waves of pissants with no health was not a threat and was boring.

...and bring back the Darkspawn as the enemy, the Templar vs Mage thing is shit.

That's your opinion, but I disagree completely.  DA:O's story was mind-numbingly simplistic.  I've read that book and played that story dozens of times before.  Awakening added some interesting elements but was hardly enough.  Fighting orcs for Middle-Earth was not compelling in the least.

Also, though I loved it, DA:O had TONS of problems.  The combat was slow, sluggish, and easy to master simply by pulling enemies to you, with traps making it totally easy-mode.  Only the horrible, horrible AI of your companions made it difficult--seriously, I was defeated by doorways more than anything else.  DA2 on harder difficulty levels was more challenging, especially Templar groups.

Personally, I want something that combines the best elements of DA:O and DA2.  For example,  DA:O was over-kill on items while DA2 was too light on customization.  I'd like a middle-ground.  Like the vastly improved combat and AI from DA2 combined with the multiple environments of DA:O.

I played through both games at least three times each.  Both were a lot of fun, but both had their fair share of problems.

DA:O has a gambit system like FFXII, if you cannot program it properly that is your fault, don't blame the AI when it just follows what you command.  That combat wasn't really slow either, enmies had more health so required more tactics to be used, DA2 enemies died so fast no point any any tactic except pushing damage with every character.

...and Mages vs Templars has never been done before?

You're right, there should be no reasonable expectations about AI.  We shouldn't want improvements.  Just because an AI wanders off to the other side of the map because its path was blocked for half a second doesn't mean we should want better.  If my characters and the enemy characters get stuck at the doorway and do this little back and forth tango then it's obviously my fault.

Do you realize how silly and defensive that sounds?  The way the AI behaved was a problem, tons of people complained about it when DA:O first came out.  Why pretend that it wasn't?  Why pretend that people weren't annoyed and that developers shouldn't improve their product?  I don't understand that.

And yes, DA:O combat was slow, and I'm not talking about enemy health.  I'm talking about waiting for characters to engage the enemy.  I'm talking having to pull enemies to you because only half ot them came over, even though you can see the rest.  It was slow and predictable except for triggered battles.

I just don't understand this idea that DA:O was perfect.  It remains one of my favorite games ever but it had a massive amount of bugs and problems.  

I'll have to wait and see on this one. Not a major fan of rpg's

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
lestatdark said:

I'm currently replaying DA:O with all DLC + awakening before finally tackling DAII properly (only played it a few hours before finding myself having to put it down), so this announcement is pretty welcome.

DA:O is one of my favourite games of this generation, it mixed the greateast parts of both KOTOR and BGs systems into a fluid and well thought system (at least on PC). While it did have it's flaws (there was a lot of abuse-tactics available, that made the game pathetic easy even on Nightmare), it was a pretty solid game.

The same I can't say about DAII, which to me represents the pinnacle of over-simplification in any videogame I've ever played. Since a lot of people vouch for it's story, i'm going to play it only for that.

The title of DAIII is curious indeed. Inquisition makes me think that they'll continue the Mages vs Templars issue, with a much probable Exalted March on the Mage's Circle all around Thedas. Pretty interesting thematic.

Exalted March or not, DA3 is gonna take place in France (I forgot the in-game name for that region lol)

Slimebeast said:
lestatdark said:

Exalted March or not, DA3 is gonna take place in France (I forgot the in-game name for that region lol)

Orlais? That is a pretty safe bet, since Val Royeaux is the centre of the Chantry and the Templars, which will make it a fulcral point in any Inquisition/mage's revolution. 

Maybe they can bring back Leliana and her original purpouse of getting back at Marjorlaine for her betrayal.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

mantlepiecek said:
If it is made well, it's going to be a blast. But DA II...my god. And bioware has never improved themselves before. It's always been downhill.

Baldur's Gate II > Baldur's Gate I.

Ha! Absolute statement disproven!

noname2200 said:
mantlepiecek said:
If it is made well, it's going to be a blast. But DA II...my god. And bioware has never improved themselves before. It's always been downhill.

Baldur's Gate II > Baldur's Gate I.

Ha! Absolute statement disproven!

this generation is what I wanted to add.

I really, really dislike DA2... Yet DA:O is one of my top games this generation.

More of the original and Ill be hyped up, but if they go the DA2 route, they can stay dead to me.