By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will the PS4's First/Second-Party be more influential to hardware sales than with the PS3?

Tagged games:

Answer the damn question!

Yes! 49 57.65%

No! 23 27.06%

They will both suck! 13 15.29%

Total:85
Jay520 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Even if you're talking about first and second party games the answer is no ...

Zipper Interactive, SCE Sony Liverpool, 3 studios within Sony Online Entertainment, Incognito Entertainment, and Bigbig Studios were all closed in the past generation. With Sony being in their current poor financial state it is likely that more studios will be closed and/or merged, resulting in fewer games being published.

How big of an impact do you think those losses were?

On their own it isn't a major loss for Sony, but with the likelihood that Sony will close more studios in the next 12 to 24 months it will have a major impact on Sony's ability to deliver games.

Around the Network

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Play4Fun said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Roma said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Roma said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Roma said:
the only way they can get better exclusives is if they can make better games themselves other than that you can kiss 3rd party games goodbye unless they fund the games themselves

LMAO

be careful you don't laugh it off completely :P

dont worry , he is ok =)

good because you need it for the buthurt later ;)

joke

that does not even makes sense because i dont expect 3rd party exclusives, ps4 and nextbox probably will release same time if not we will have timed 3rd party exclusives.

ps4 will have a great first party support  ( better than this gen , sony was the best this gen in terms of exclusives ) will have those second party exclusives from insomiac and quantic dream( if not i dont realy care, i will still play those ) and will have third party games , LOTS OF THEM (80% of my colection are these) ...

Like you see here , ps4 will be fine.

cant wait ps4 and nextbox arrive , it will be ps3 360 wii all over again, guess who will be butthurt and port begging ? 1 or 2 years tops , can´t wait =D

Keep hoping and dreaming.

you are the one that need hope not me, hope history will not repeat :D

With the ps360 we had multi-core and threaded CPUs, GPUs with programmable shaders, and 512MB of total memory while the Wii had a single core/thread CPU, fixed function GPU, and 88MB of memory. So you can imagine how difficult it would have been to port an engine designed to support multiple threads and programmable shaders over to the Wii which featured neither.

Now with the next gen, all 3 systems will support multiple threads and have programmable shaders to play around with. So no matter the gap between the ps4/720 and Wii-U (And I guarantee you it won't be as large as PS360 -Wii), it will still be alot more easier than what we saw this gen.

So yeah, keep hoping and dreaming.

HappySqurriel said:
Jay520 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Zipper Interactive, SCE Sony Liverpool, 3 studios within Sony Online Entertainment, Incognito Entertainment, and Bigbig Studios were all closed in the past generation. With Sony being in their current poor financial state it is likely that more studios will be closed and/or merged, resulting in fewer games being published.

On their own it isn't a major loss for Sony, but with the likelihood that Sony will close more studios in the next 12 to 24 months it will have a major impact on Sony's ability to deliver games.

I feel pretty confident in saying that any studios that may be shoot will also be insignificant.

Jay520 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Jay520 said:
HappySqurriel said:

I feel pretty confident in saying that any studios that may be shoot will also be insignificant.

Closing the studio that makes Wipeout and Formula One games (SCE Liverpool), the studio that makes Socom and Mag (Zipper Interactive), the studio that makes Twisted Metal and Warhawk (Incognito Entertainment), or the studio that made Pursuit Force and Little Deviants (BigBig Studios) may not be that significant on their own but as a group they're quite significant; and if matched by a similar number of closures of studios of similar size and quality it would be a dramatic blow to Sony's ability to produce quality games.

Sony having as large of financial troubles as a company, the PS-Vita's poor hardware and software sales, along with the massive costs of ramping up to the next generation of systems almost guaranties Sony will be forced to make several studio closures over the next couple of years.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Play4Fun said:

With the ps360 we had multi-core and threaded CPUs, GPUs with programmable shaders, and 512MB of total memory while the Wii had a single core/thread CPU, fixed function GPU, and 88MB of memory. So you can imagine how difficult it would have been to port an engine designed to support multiple threads and programmable shaders over to the Wii which featured neither.

Now with the next gen, all 3 systems will support multiple threads and have programmable shaders to play around with. So no matter the gap between the ps4/720 and Wii-U (And I guarantee you it won't be as large as PS360 -Wii), it will still be alot more easier than what we saw this gen.

So yeah, keep hoping and dream

"it will still be alot more easier than what we saw this gen."

easy to work does not mean they will bother to do the ports and no one knows how big the leap will be or the specs, sony already said they will put again a game machine that could last 10 years, next box will make a console with great power too i am sure.

Like  i said , i dont need hope, i am 100 % sure i will play games like metal gear solid, finalfantasy , gta , elders scrolls , bioware games etc , i am sure i will be happy next gen.

This isn't about you playing games like metal gear solid, finalfantasy , gta , elders scrolls , bioware games etc.

You said WiiU to PS4/720 would be in the same situation Wii was to PS360, which is simply not true and I showed that with some facts, you showed nothing.

10 year life cycle simply means they will keep the console on the market after it's successor is released, like PS2 was still on the market even during PS3's lifetime. I can't believe people still think it means there won't be another console for 10 years.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Play4Fun said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Play4Fun said:

So yeah, keep hoping and dream

"it will still be alot more easier than what we saw this gen."

easy to work does not mean they will bother to do the ports and no one knows how big the leap will be or the specs, sony already said they will put again a game machine that could last 10 years, next box will make a console with great power too i am sure.

Like  i said , i dont need hope, i am 100 % sure i will play games like metal gear solid, finalfantasy , gta , elders scrolls , bioware games etc , i am sure i will be happy next gen.

This isn't about you playing games like metal gear solid, finalfantasy , gta , elders scrolls , bioware games etc.

You said WiiU to PS4/720 would be in the same situation Wii was to PS360, which is simply not true and I showed that with some facts, you showed nothing.

10 year life cycle simply means they will keep the console on the market after it's successor is released, like PS2 was still on the market even during PS3's lifetime. I can't believe people still think it means there won't be another console for 10 years.

this is getting boring and repetitive

"You said WiiU to PS4/720 would be in the same situation Wii was to PS360, which is simply not true and I showed that with some facts, you showed nothing."

you showed nothing cause no one knows how powerfull ps4 or next box will be , you are just speculating like me, jack tretton already stated they will put a console on the market that will not lose steam after a couple years , this plus another rumours and the fact that releasing a console with only 2 times the power of ps3 or 360 will be a stupid move knowing the power of game engines like the one epic and square showed in e3, i am just speculating here but we will see again 2 powerfull consoles and one underpowered, just like wii and ps360.

time will tell , now i am out of this thread , bye ...

Yeah, can't back up your arguments so you turn tail and run out of the thread.

Next time don't make stupid statemenmts you can't back up in any way.

While I like the variety of games Sony put forward to us, I wish they produced more casual games like LBP and Fat Princess. That is why I have to get back to Nintendo consoles for casual game experience.

For Vita, they are doing this now with Puppetier, Tearaway, Little Deviants etc. I would like to see similar games on PS3 too.

Sony's 1st/2nd party exclusives have been fantastic this generation, and yet, Sony is still in 3rd place.

I think it will take more than great exclusives, PS4 must really distinguish itself from the competition in a much more fundimental way than PS3 did, otherwise, if 90% of it's games are shared, it'll have a hard time pulling ahead. Especially if it's last to launch next gen as expected.

HappySqurriel said:

Closing the studio that makes Wipeout and Formula One games (SCE Liverpool), the studio that makes Socom and Mag (Zipper Interactive), the studio that makes Twisted Metal and Warhawk (Incognito Entertainment), or the studio that made Pursuit Force and Little Deviants (BigBig Studios) may not be that significant on their own but as a group they're quite significant; and if matched by a similar number of closures of studios of similar size and quality it would be a dramatic blow to Sony's ability to produce quality games.

I don't think that's necessarily true at all.  Take your example of Incognito Entertainment (Twisted Metal Black & Warhawk).  The studio closed in 2007.

Have we had sequels to both of those games?  Yes, we have. 

What happened?  Development shifted from being 100% internal to being 80% external with about 20% help from a Sony Studio (In this case, Santa Monica).  Sony still own the IP, they still put some work in to the game, but it was made by a third-party company under an exclusivity contract for that particular game.

I feel like Sony is shifting at the moment from fully owning all the studios they can get their hands on, to owning a few key studios and 'loaning' out their IP's to have games made.  Like they've done with God of War (Ready at Dawn), Ratchet (High Impact Games), Sly (Sanzaru Games), SOCOM (Slant 6), Resistance (Nihilistic) and so on.  Sure, some of thse were crap choices, but the point is they've got choices for the time being.

I don't doubt that at some time in the future, we'll see at least a new SOCOM game - probably a new WipEout game too, despite Zipper and Studio Liverpool being shut down.

And to answer your question in my own post Jay - yes, I think they will be more influential. I think Sony is working towards getting a better handle on their franchises in recent years.

I think with the shift towards their key internal studios develop a big property and then having their smaller studios make portable games, or hiring third-parties to use the IP, is a good decision. It's less investment for Sony, they're not having anywhere like as many people on their payroll, but the IP's still get made and get made to quality.

So for example, Naughty Dog are one of Sony's big studios. They'll make an IP - Jak & Daxter, finish what they're doing with that series then move on. Then someone like Ready at Dawn comes in and makes Daxter, a great game that continues the series, while Naughty Dog work on Uncharted which in turn gets another game made by Sony Bend. So on and so forth.

Another one of the things I've noticed about Sony that Nintendo/Microsoft don't seem to have (although maybe I have missed it) is support studios. SCE Foster City was founded by Psygnosis in 1998 and has worked to provide support to third-party developers working on first-party IP's - so exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about before. They'll help Ready at Dawn with Daxter, they'll help Sanzaru with Sly Cooper and so on. Combine this with the ICE team at Naughty Dog to help with PS3 tech, or the XDev team in Europe to help external developers, and you've got a pretty good network. And a network which is a lot more sustainable than simply "buy the studio, own the IP".  At least, that's how I see it.