By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will the PS4's First/Second-Party be more influential to hardware sales than with the PS3?

Tagged games:

Answer the damn question!

Yes! 49 57.65%

No! 23 27.06%

They will both suck! 13 15.29%

Total:85
kowenicki said:
Less. Fairly obvious given that Sony themselves have stated they have too many studios, which they have since followed up with closure of studios.

See above. The studios that Sony did close (Zipper, BigBig, etc) weren't significant this gen. So their loss won't be a noteworthy loss.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Jay520 said:
kowenicki said:
Less. Fairly obvious given that Sony themselves have stated they have too many studios, which they have since followed up with closure of studios.

See above. The studios that Sony did close (Zipper, BigBig, etc) weren't significant this gen. So their loss won't be a noteworthy loss.

There will be less in quantity I guarantee it. 

But you changed the question... so my answer is now out of context.

If you are asking will the quality be better, then I dont have a clue, and nor does anyone else and in any event it is subjective.

I'm not talking about quantity or quality. I'm talking about their impact. Essentially, will they more significant for PS4 hardware sales than they were for PS3 hardware sales? That could be the result of quality and quantity I guess.

Jay520 said:
kowenicki said:

I would've agreed with you until Studio Liverpool got shut down, but now I can't.  Maybe I'm overestimating the importance of Wipeout HD, but it was significant to me, that's for sure.

OT: I think yes, but only because 3rd party exclusives will become fewer and fewer, so they'll be more infleuntial by comparison.  

Lafiel said:

I think everything points to 720 and PS4 being extremely close to each other in hardware which probably means even less 3rd party exclusives - MS might even have the upper hand here with Kinect (not too sure if anyone would miss the Kinect titles, but well, some high profile studios are trying these days, so there might be some cool games comming for that).

First party wise it would be nice to see SCEJ overcoming it's difficulties and put out more content again. I think they really had a hard time adapting to modern engines/game development.

i think there getting over it, sony's Japan studio is going to release two games next year, rain which looks good and puppeteer which looks awesome

kowenicki said:
Jay520 said:
kowenicki said:
Jay520 said:
kowenicki said:

There will be less in quantity I guarantee it. 

But you changed the question... so my answer is now out of context.

If you are asking will the quality be better, then I dont have a clue, and nor does anyone else and in any event it is subjective.

I'm not talking about quantity or quality. I'm talking about their impact. Essentially, will they more significant for PS4 hardware sales than they were for PS3 hardware sales? That could be the result of quality and quantity I guess.

No again.  The biggest games are now 3rd party, that will continue I think.

Compared to 3rd parties, sure they'll be smaller. But will they bigger than they were this gen?

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Roma said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Roma said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Roma said:
the only way they can get better exclusives is if they can make better games themselves other than that you can kiss 3rd party games goodbye unless they fund the games themselves

LMAO

be careful you don't laugh it off completely :P

dont worry , he is ok =)

good because you need it for the buthurt later ;)

joke

that does not even makes sense because i dont expect 3rd party exclusives, ps4 and nextbox probably will release same time if not we will have timed 3rd party exclusives.

ps4 will have a great first party support  ( better than this gen , sony was the best this gen in terms of exclusives ) will have those second party exclusives from insomiac and quantic dream( if not i dont realy care, i will still play those ) and will have third party games , LOTS OF THEM (80% of my colection are these) ...

Like you see here , ps4 will be fine.

cant wait ps4 and nextbox arrive , it will be ps3 360 wii all over again, guess who will be butthurt and port begging ? 1 or 2 years tops , can´t wait =D

Keep hoping and dreaming.

Jay520 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
For example we know QD is already working on ANOTHER sony exclusive game outside of Beyond. 

Really? Link?

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/05/28/quantic-dream-working-on-two-projects-first-revealed-next-week/

definitely one of them will be for ps4 and maybe a ps4/vita title. :)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Even if you're talking about first and second party games the answer is no ...

Zipper Interactive, SCE Sony Liverpool, 3 studios within Sony Online Entertainment, Incognito Entertainment, and Bigbig Studios were all closed in the past generation. With Sony being in their current poor financial state it is likely that more studios will be closed and/or merged, resulting in fewer games being published.

Torillian said:
Jay520 said:
kowenicki said:

I would've agreed with you until Studio Liverpool got shut down, but now I can't.  Maybe I'm overestimating the importance of Wipeout HD, but it was significant to me, that's for sure.

OT: I think yes, but only because 3rd party exclusives will become fewer and fewer, so they'll be more infleuntial by comparison.  

well they kept 2/3 of the staff but relocated them I think. And the studio was 200 or so members. too big if you ask me given the output they had. I feel that sony is currently trying to trim the fat so to speak and reallocate the resources to focus on projects with more sales potential. I'm sure we will see another Wipeout sooner or later :)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

HappySqurriel said:
Even if you're talking about first and second party games the answer is no ...

Zipper Interactive, SCE Sony Liverpool, 3 studios within Sony Online Entertainment, Incognito Entertainment, and Bigbig Studios were all closed in the past generation. With Sony being in their current poor financial state it is likely that more studios will be closed and/or merged, resulting in fewer games being published.

How big of an impact do you think those losses were?