By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will the PS4's First/Second-Party be more influential to hardware sales than with the PS3?

Tagged games:

Answer the damn question!

Yes! 49 57.65%

No! 23 27.06%

They will both suck! 13 15.29%

Total:85
HappySqurriel said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but I also think that people are not fully considering the poor financial shape of Sony ... Sony as a company is in very rough financial shape which is putting a lot of pressure on their Gaming division, and their gaming division has had a very rough several years and has many significant challenges ahead.

With that said, the core question was whether the PS4's games were going to be more influential than the PS3's games were and its difficult to see how a company that is reducing the number of developers and is (probably) looking to have existing developers reduce costs as best as they can will produce more games that have a bigger impact on hardware sales with increasing development costs and longer development timelines. From a purely number's perspective I would expect fewer games that were shorter, had less features, and were (generally) less impressive in relative terms.

I would agree that they will have fewer games as a result of the closures and the lean business control, but I would argue that the resulting savings would allow Sony to make the fewer games they are outputting more feature-rich, and to have stronger marketing, resulting in fewer, bigger games.

I partially agree, partially disagree.