By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you passing up on Wii U FPS titles due to lack of IR pointer... BLOPS 2 IR!!!!

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
Hell no, Ir controls have little to do with the actual quality of the game, if its fun it doesnt really matter how you control it as long as the game is fun. IR controls could make a good game better (Killzone3) but not a a bad or mediocore game good(conduit, farcry vengeance)

I'd argue they did exactly that in Medal of Honor: Heroes 2. I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed it anywhere near as much without the super smooth aiming or cool gesture based stuff like pumping the shotgun and firing the bazooka off my shoulder with the rumble/noise in my ear.
A bad game no, a mediocre one yes, IMO.

disagree, IMHO that game was more on the good side and i played it without motion controls. Maybe you just didnt like the game as much as i did, which is cool.

Oh, I liked it a lot. It's just that when I think about it, I don't remember any really memorable setpieces or anything, just that it was so darn fun to control. "Mediocre" tends to be used as a synonym for "bad" these days but I tend to use it more as a term of "average/nothing special." The non-motion control aspects of MoH:H2 certainly weren't bad, they just weren't amazing, and kind of put it in "just another WW2 FPS" territory. (Well, the AI was bad, but level design and graphics were solid, and the sound was actually pretty good. I suppose 32 player online without friendcodes on the Wii is pretty impressive too...)

There werent any memorable setpieces, but that had to do with (and im sure about it) the game having the PSP version as the main dev game and it being up ported to Wii (the original heroes was PSP exclusive and was released only a year before the sequel), which is why it was kind of a mediocore game, and when i say that I do mean average/nothing special dont know what jackass uses it to mean bad. They couldnt go all out and have it still work on PSP. On another note take that same game and put it on PSP then it goes above average cause your not expecting even that level of quality on a portable machine, its pretty much the best FPS released on PSP and still had the 32 player online that was hacked to hell eventually.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
curl-6 said:

Oh, I liked it a lot. It's just that when I think about it, I don't remember any really memorable setpieces or anything, just that it was so darn fun to control. "Mediocre" tends to be used as a synonym for "bad" these days but I tend to use it more as a term of "average/nothing special." The non-motion control aspects of MoH:H2 certainly weren't bad, they just weren't amazing, and kind of put it in "just another WW2 FPS" territory. (Well, the AI was bad, but level design and graphics were solid, and the sound was actually pretty good. I suppose 32 player online without friendcodes on the Wii is pretty impressive too...)

There werent any memorable setpieces, but that had to do with (and im sure about it) the game having the PSP version as the main dev game and it being up ported to Wii (the original heroes was PSP exclusive and was released only a year before the sequel), which is why it was kind of a mediocore game, and when i say that I do mean average/nothing special dont know what jackass uses it to mean bad. They couldnt go all out and have it still work on PSP. On another note take that same game and put it on PSP then it goes above average cause your not expecting even that level of quality on a portable machine, its pretty much the best FPS released on PSP and still had the 32 player online that was hacked to hell eventually.

I suppose one advantage of it's PSP origins was that it allowed it to easily run at 60fps on Wii, which really helped with aiming.

And it annoys me too, but I often see "mediocre" thrown around in reference to games as if it means "bad/awful." Seems like one of those commonly misused words.

I'm quite the opposite. I used to hate FPS last gen, then I got the Wii this gen at first and tried playing some FPS on it. Like Medal of Honor Heroes 2, Conduit, etc but I could never seem to be competitive at them. The controls were never accurate and pin point as I wanted them to be due to your hands naturally wobbling, and ADSing is a nightmare since it felt almost impossible to keep my aim steady on target.

Then I got the 360 and what can I say, now I'm pretty much addicted to FPS. I would say one of the main reasons is because of the precise dual analogue controls. Although I will agree Mouse/Keyboard are far superior, Dual Analogues are very accurate and give you relatively decent control over your character.

People try to cut down on quoting trees pleaaaaaaase....

I really don't see why they won't be able to include options for both controllers. Even if they want you to use the touchscreen for certain things, you could still use the WiiMote for controlling the main action. It would be cumbersome, granted, but it could be an option.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
oniyide said:
Hell no, Ir controls have little to do with the actual quality of the game, if its fun it doesnt really matter how you control it as long as the game is fun. IR controls could make a good game better (Killzone3) but not a a bad or mediocore game good(conduit, farcry vengeance)

This sums it up nicely.

Yes I would prefer pointer controls, but at the end of the day I will play it.

Hell i've played the same games o n PC and console, and it didnt realy faze me.

Oni
of course ive played it, finished it on co-op, the cutscenes and story were good, the gameplay mechanics were absolutely boring and tedious, specially the fixed shooting ones at the end
i enjoyed more the Conduit 1 than i did Killzone 3 because of its controls, maybe if i play it with Move....
Resistance is another mediocre game ive played that is nothing better than Conduit

thekitchensink said:
I really don't see why they won't be able to include options for both controllers.

I'm with you here.   From what I've seen done on the Wii, I'm pretty certain most FPS will offer both controll options.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
thekitchensink said:
I really don't see why they won't be able to include options for both controllers.

I'm with you here.   From what I've seen done on the Wii, I'm pretty certain most FPS will offer both controll options.

Definitely.  That would be ideal.  

pointer control is kind of fun in a single player fps that is slow paced and set to easy difficulty mode. otherwise pointer controls are just too inaccurate, clumsy, and tiring to be dealt with. i'll stick to dual analog for anything online or fast paced.