By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you passing up on Wii U FPS titles due to lack of IR pointer... BLOPS 2 IR!!!!

It´s the other way around for me, the main controller for the Wii U returning to a traditional layout is one of the main reasons I´m looking forward to the system.

I dislike motion controls, and they´re the reason I don´t really enjoy the Wii.

Though I guess since the system will support both its main controller, the U pad, and Wii remotes, some games will allow the player to choose what he/she likes.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Hell no, Ir controls have little to do with the actual quality of the game, if its fun it doesnt really matter how you control it as long as the game is fun. IR controls could make a good game better (Killzone3) but not a a bad or mediocore game good(conduit, farcry vengeance)

I'd argue they did exactly that in Medal of Honor: Heroes 2. I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed it anywhere near as much without the super smooth aiming or cool gesture based stuff like pumping the shotgun and firing the bazooka off my shoulder with the rumble/noise in my ear.
A bad game no, a mediocre one yes, IMO.

imo Killzone 3 is a mediocre game as much as Conduit is, and the IR controls made the Conduit worth it

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
Hell no, Ir controls have little to do with the actual quality of the game, if its fun it doesnt really matter how you control it as long as the game is fun. IR controls could make a good game better (Killzone3) but not a a bad or mediocore game good(conduit, farcry vengeance)

I'd argue they did exactly that in Medal of Honor: Heroes 2. I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed it anywhere near as much without the super smooth aiming or cool gesture based stuff like pumping the shotgun and firing the bazooka off my shoulder with the rumble/noise in my ear.

disagree, IMHO that game was more on the good side and i played it without motion controls. Maybe you just didnt like the game as much as i did, which is cool.

DieAppleDie said:
imo Killzone 3 is a mediocre game as much as Conduit is, and the IR controls made the Conduit worth it

doubt you even played that game, but thats your opinion

Around the Network
oniyide said:

Quality is the overall package. Whether you like those controls or not is a different topic.

For example, the conduit without pointer controls would score even lower. Medal of Honour Heroes 2 too.

At the end, people aren't asking for exclusive pointer controls. Just the option for the ones who can't literally play without it.

It's the same as fordidding a PC gamer to use keyboard and mouse after all this years.

FrancisNobleman said:
oniyide said:

Quality is the overall package. Whether you like those controls or not is a different topic.

For example, the conduit without pointer controls would score even lower. Medal of Honour Heroes 2 too.

At the end, people aren't asking for exclusive pointer controls. Just the option for the ones who can't literally play without it.

It's the same as fordidding a PC gamer to use keyboard and mouse after all this years.

I never said i didnt like those controls I do, as long as they are done right. Im just saying it doesnt matter how well they are done if the game you are playing sucks, it wont matter.  I know people arent asking for exclusive pointer controls, that would be stupid. Options are always good. I just really wouldnt care if they didnt have any, as long as the game is good. Ive been and still play with dual analogs, i have no issues with them

oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

disagree, IMHO that game was more on the good side and i played it without motion controls. Maybe you just didnt like the game as much as i did, which is cool.

Oh, I liked it a lot. It's just that when I think about it, I don't remember any really memorable setpieces or anything, just that it was so darn fun to control. "Mediocre" tends to be used as a synonym for "bad" these days but I tend to use it more as a term of "average/nothing special." The non-motion control aspects of MoH:H2 certainly weren't bad, they just weren't amazing, and kind of put it in "just another WW2 FPS" territory. (Well, the AI was bad, but level design and graphics were solid, and the sound was actually pretty good. I suppose 32 player online without friendcodes on the Wii is pretty impressive too...)

Very possible.

If FPS on WiiU uses Wiimote/nunchuk, it will definitely be my go to. However, if the only options are gamepad/pro controller (i.e. dual analog) then I may skip the game entirely unless the online model is absolutely amazing.

oniyide said:
FrancisNobleman said:
oniyide said:

I never said i didnt like those controls I do, as long as they are done right. Im just saying it doesnt matter how well they are done if the game you are playing sucks, it wont matter.  I know people arent asking for exclusive pointer controls, that would be stupid. Options are always good. I just really wouldnt care if they didnt have any, as long as the game is good. Ive been and still play with dual analogs, i have no issues with them

I can play with dual analogue when the game is really awesome otherwise, like with Bioshock. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't craving pointer controls all the way through that game, superb as it was.