By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Richest Man in France Seeks Belgian Citizenship

Oh boy. That kind of stuff has something like of a 90% failure rate. Raising the taxes so dramatically is almost aways a shot in the wrong direction, specially as the French economy starts being contaminated by the greek / spanish depression.

The Front Nationale was wise on not giving outright support to Sarkozy on the latest elections. They probably suspected that, in the end of the day, having Hollande elected was the best way to get their point across...

Around the Network

but why belgium? they have the second highest tax for rich in europe or not? ask swiss, they always like to get the rich from countries around them lol

Unpatriotic!!!!!!!!1111

Kasz216 said:
thetonestarr said:

The vast majority of the super rich make the vast majority of their money through non-traditional methods, which are not typically taxable as income. This varies from country to country, but if it's 75%, it's obviously safe to assume that it works the same way in France as it does in most of the rest of the world.

A 75% tax rate on income =/= a 75% tax rate on money made.

I don't actually believe it is a majority.  If I recall, I believe it's about 33%.   Unless that's just the rich i'm thinking of...

Either way.  France's Capital Gains tax is a flat 35%.

This guy I believe is head of a luxuary goods buisness which he owns.  He's like one of the top 5 richest guys in the world.

Hollande, has a 20 billion euro gap to close if he wants to hit his targets and keep to his stated parameters.

So really his tax plan could inlcude tax hikes on everything.   Including an outright one time wealth tax on all french citizens over a certain amount of money.

So i wouldn't be surprised if all kinds of rich french people are spooked.

That would be just the upper class in general.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Belgium seems like the right choice: they haven't had a government in what, 4 years now? Can't tax if you can't govern.

You're right it's time for a new French Revolution. Let's pray the Sans-Culottes don't catch him at the border.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:

It just shows how pathetic the rich, can't even handle a simple tax increase. I agree 75% is a bit much, but it's what you have to do, if you are in debt. I think 50 to 60% tax on the rich is fairer. Even the 45% tax on those who earn above £150,000 I think is fair, better than the ridiculously low taxes of America. Maybe, Hollande is a bit nuts on this.

But either way, a bad economy usually caused by moderates (liberals and conservatives) normally leads to the far left (communists) or far right (fascists) getting power, nearly always. If people aren't happy with Hollande, they just vote in the fascist Le Pen next time, who were 3rd in this year's election!

Why should they be expected to pay a tax increase? They've already had to go through countless loops, and perform thousands of tricks, at the state's will, to become successful. In doing so, they've created jobs, and provided goods and services that people want. These people are beneficators to humankind, and should not be punished for being so.

45% on people earning over 150,000k? I tell you something, my parents are over that bracket, and they're paying WAY over 45%. You forgot to include the fact that the personal allowance is removed at 100,000. Also, national insurance, sales taxes, import taxes, capital gains, fuel duty, alcohol duty, air travel taxes, property taxes, road taxes, etc., etc. Not to mention the fact that the price of everything you buy is increased by all the taxes that the producer had to pay. I'd say that the amount that goes to the taxman is closer to 100%, than 45% (one of my dad's friends worked it out once, he said that around 87% of his income went to the taxman... but, hey, it's fine, he's a millionaire.)

Also, you said that "it's what you have to do, if you're in debt". That's bollocks. It makes sense if this guy was responsible for the debt... but, judging by his actions here, he's probably not a big Government guy... why should he have to beholden to the burden of other people's wants? Nothing more than theft.

Bad economies are caused by monetary policy. Nothing more, nothing less.

75% is just madness. I expect an exodus of Frances top earners.

crissindahouse said:

but why belgium? they have the second highest tax for rich in europe or not? ask swiss, they always like to get the rich from countries around them lol

A lot of beglians speak french?

the2real4mafol said:

It just shows how pathetic the rich, can't even handle a simple tax increase. I agree 75% is a bit much, but it's what you have to do, if you are in debt. I think 50 to 60% tax on the rich is fairer. Even the 45% tax on those who earn above £150,000 I think is fair, better than the ridiculously low taxes of America. Maybe, Hollande is a bit nuts on this.

But either way, a bad economy usually caused by moderates (liberals and conservatives) normally leads to the far left (communists) or far right (fascists) getting power, nearly always. If people aren't happy with Hollande, they just vote in the fascist Le Pen next time, who were 3rd in this year's election!

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged at the moment, and you remind me of Wesley Mouch.

The government's decisions got it into this mess. It shouldn't really be trying to bleed the country's most successful people dry to balance its budget. I don't see how you can possibly consider that moral.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

the2real4mafol said:

Why is 50% to 60% more fair? Even 45%? Why isn't 75% fair, or 30% fair?