By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Even Square Enix Admits The PlayStation Era Was The ‘Golden Age’

Tagged games:

oniyide said:
"better" is subjective, the sheer amount of JRPGs released outside of Japan on PS1 versus the SNES pretty much debunk osed's point.

Yes the PS1 have more quantity of JRPGs than the SNES, but IMO the SNES have the best, to each their own

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:

Of course it was the golden era.  And it is a long dead era.

Console rpgs or j rpgs, however you wanna call them have seriously run out of steam, original scenarios, ideas and battle innovations.

Xenoblade and The Last Story both succeeded in mixing up the conventional battle system, at least (story i might agree with you)

Xenoblade is my favorite game of this generation and I own all consoles. And my fav RPG from the last  15? years or so.

I even bought it twice so they get som extra cash for the great time I had with the game. Last story is still sealed tho  so I have no Idea how good it is.

Yeah the golden age...

what do they all have in common?

Turnbased battle system...

Not this hack'n slash or autobattle crap

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Metrium said:

They should rename the Modern Age into ''The Dark Age''.

After the Dark Age, at least there can come a Renaisance

outlawauron said:
Metrium said:

They should rename the Modern Age into ''The Dark Age''.

How is this not trolling?

And I don't see how XI and XII should fit in the Golden Age as they definitely stand out from 7-10-2.

Because it's the truth.  Does anyone truly regard Square Enix as the king of JRPGs any more?

Around the Network

Honestly what they Square Enix probably means by golden age of Final Fantasy is sales like any company.

I know they're talking about sales but you know what? Fuck it, it was definetly the era I enjoyed the most. VII, IX and XII, specially.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Admits is an odd choice of words. Believes would be more accurate and only for them.

PC part of the golden age, damn straight.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

Yeah BUT* both IX & XII were hugely different from their previous conterparts. They were attempts much like "Versus", all three distinctively unique, so you can't make such straight comparisons. It is a practice they have alreayd followed.

Console sales didn't bother MGS4 and GT 5 from pulling big numbers.

And the sales suggest that that practice will inneveitably give them lower sales then the previous FF game.

I don't know why you brought MGS4 and GT5 into this since they were released at the peak (in terms of software sales) of the generation. We're approaching the end of the generation and software sales are gradually dropping off. A few games will still gather huge sales but the excitement from consumers is slowly dying down resulting in games that would perform better had they released a little earlier in the gen.