By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Even Square Enix Admits The PlayStation Era Was The ‘Golden Age’

Tagged games:

kowenicki said:
so they are admitting they have lost it? well I'm not going to argue with them.

No?!

The thread starter is making stuff up.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:

Actually, based on history I'd argue it's terrible business sense. Since the "Golden era" the last Final Fantasy game released at the end of a generation, regardless of quality, tends to sell worse then the previous games.

FFIX- Good game, sold worse then FFVII and VIII.

FFXII- Again, good game, sold worse than FFX and didn't sell much more then X-2.

This is especially worrying considering overall software sales for the current gen consoles have been dropping.

Yeah BUT* both IX & XII were hugely different from their previous conterparts. They were attempts much like "Versus", all three distinctively unique, so you can't make such straight comparisons. It is a practice they have alreayd followed.

Console sales didn't bother MGS4 and GT 5 from pulling big numbers.

* that's a huge J.Lo but

Turkish said:

Empires come and go bro, you don't always stay at the top.

What other jrpg developer took their throne ? Are they still not the biggest thing considering the situation ?

Turkish said:
osed125 said:

The SNES was the real golden age of JRPGs imo

I disagree, I find PS1 rpgs a lot better, eventough CT and Terranigma are in the list of my faves.

"better" is subjective, the sheer amount of JRPGs released outside of Japan on PS1 versus the SNES pretty much debunk osed's point.

oniyide said:
Turkish said:
osed125 said:

The SNES was the real golden age of JRPGs imo

I disagree, I find PS1 rpgs a lot better, eventough CT and Terranigma are in the list of my faves.

"better" is subjective, the sheer amount of JRPGs released outside of Japan on PS1 versus the SNES pretty much debunk osed's point.

I thought it was some hipster joke !

It just means the GOLDEN ERA for Final Fantasy nothing else.

To be honest  I think even this is untrue.

I mean if I fail and I have 1 last game   and if this one fails I will quit and if it succeeds  I will continue to make games etc.  Then I think  the NES should be the golden era because without it nothing else would have existed. Just my opinion tho.

Around the Network
DigitalDevilSummoner said:

Of course it was the golden era.  And it is a long dead era.

Console rpgs or j rpgs, however you wanna call them have seriously run out of steam, original scenarios, ideas and battle innovations.

Xenoblade and The Last Story both succeeded in mixing up the conventional battle system, at least (story i might agree with you)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

JazzB1987 said:

No, it was pretty much the golder era for the whole genre. And the thread title is grossly misleading.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
JazzB1987 said:

No, it was pretty much the golder era for the whole genre. And the thread title is grossly misleading.

This, it had the most titles released, most sales and the genre had never been bigger before or since then, anyone who thinks otherwise is in serious denial. 

....for Final Fantasy... maybe, idk, never played FF. But for games in general? SNES is king.

As much as I loved 7/8/9 I have to say my favourite 2 final fantasy games to date are the remakes of FF3 and FF4 for the DS they are absolutely amazing rpgs for story, battle, job systems, graphics, they got it all. I know remake rabble rabble on handhelds so it's not a real system etc etc but still. opinions! everyone has one and they make people think you're an asshole!... or something :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive