By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game genres you dont play or avoid and why.

Sports Games: If I wanted to play a sport I'd go outside with a ball.

MMO: If I wanted to grind I'd take a job at the mill.

Multiplayer Only Games: If I wanted to interact with a bunch of pre-teen punks I'd teach at a middle school.

Strategy RPG: If I wanted to play a strategy game I'd play a strategy game, if I wanted to play an RPG I'd play an RPG. I don't want to play them at the same time, especially turn based.

Turn Based RPG: If I wanted to take turns I'd play chess, or monopoly, or (insert boring board game here).

Life Sim: If I wanted a life I'd get one. ;)

Around the Network

I tend to avoid sports games, I only buy 1 Madden per console cycle and that's it. The only exception would be sports games with Mario in the title or Nintendo produced though I don't buy them religiously.

Otherwise I tend to my homework on any other game so I don't buy bad games (most of the time).

Sports games

Casual games (music, dance, party)

Beatemups

JRPGs

JRPG's- I despise grinding and spending huge amounts of times in menu's or organizing items or spells. Also, not a big fan of the sexual theme that seems to exist in some of the games in the genre. Like starring at a pixellated female protagonists ass, not really my thing.

RPG's- While fun and there are certainly a few exceptions (Fable), I find many of them just feel 'empty'. Since the massive uptake of online gaming and mmo's offering similar gameplay but with other real players (yes I'm aware MMO's have lots of grinding too) I find myself getting very quickly bored with RPG's. If you're going to spend hundreds of hours questing to get great gear, I want to be able to pvp with it or show it off.

any games that lack strategy / tactic elements

for example i like rpgs but the ones that are only about simple farming / grinding don't interest me

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:
FPS: I tried them several times (Doom, Medal of Honor, Counter Strike, BioShock, KillZone 3...) and just never enjoyed them. I even pushed myself to finish BioShock and KillZone 3. Still, I found them boring. So I just gave up. No more FPS for me from now.

WRPGs: again, I was never into this genre. I tried DA:O last year and I got bored ten hours in. I tried Oblivion before and I was bored to death after a few hours. Not for me.

Dance games, fitness games and other casual stuff. Not enjoyable.

MMOs. Never even tried one TBH, but the concept doesn't attract me in the slightest.

I'm a big fan of FPS games, and I'd consider all of those games you listed as pretty boring.

Bioshock I found massively over-rated, and KZ3 was just awful in comparison to KZ2.

Half-Life (the whole series), Halo 1+2 (although online is gone now :(), Wolfenstein 3D, Killzone 2, COD WaW or Black Ops for Nazi Zombies, MW3 (online multiplayer), Unreal Tournament III (bots), Goldeneye 007, Timesplitters 2 and Resistance 3 (the campaign).

Those are good to great FPS games! Although, if you don't enjoy the basic mechanics of the gameplay you're simply unlikely to ever enjoy the genre.

JRPG's and MMO's

Dating sims.

Dallinor said:

I'm a big fan of FPS games, and I'd consider all of those games you listed as pretty boring

I used to be a huge FPS fan but since the xbox brought them to the console spotlight the genre went to hell, plain and simple.

Sports genre: fifa, madden, nba. I found it stupid just for the fact that a year later you are the proud owner of a dated piece of crap that no one wants to play anymore, though i enjoy kicking my friend's ass in fifa (in their house and in their console) because that's the only game they are good at and i still beat them without training (pure gamer instinct there :) ). The exception here are mario sports games, those are great, i have hundreds of hours on mario strikers

guitar hero genre(?): i practically wrote the south park episode about guitar hero, for me it's really stupid to buy some expensive toy guitar to learn some stupid patterns that only work there, for that i better play an actual guitar

FPS: most of them tend to give me motion sickness and are almost always about the same stereotypical badass dude in the middle of a badass war trying to kill badass enemies. The huge exception here is the metroid prime saga, those are the only FPS i have truly enjoyed

Life simulation: my own life it's interesting enough for me to feel the need of simulate another life