By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game genres you dont play or avoid and why.

Just what the title says. What genres do you not play?

Strategy games, this has more to do with it being a staple of PC gaming and I'm not really a big PC gaming guy. I do remember playing some weird ass Jurassic Park strategy game and loving it but thats about it.s

Dungeon crawlers, same thing, PC staple although there has been more released on consoles lately. I dont really like the grinding aspect of it. I liked Deathspank but that was more for the comedy.

MMOs I find them boring, they are like the most boring parts of an RPG IMHO. I hate gridning and thats all you seem to do here.

Adventure/pointnclick  I actually dont have any issues with these. Again they are PC games(there's a pattern) and ive just never been big on it, but they have been coming to consoles and ive been liking them. I play Back to the Future and love it, still debating whether to get it on PS3 or Wii

Sports/simulation  Madden, NBA etc.  I recognize they are well made products, but i cant wrap my mind around buying essentially the same game every year, why not just have one game and update that every year for about 2 years. And i find them to be so boring. I rather play a Blitz, Street, Jam, etc. That goes for racing too, Gran Turismo is a great simulator not a very fun game IMHO. 

strategy RPGs, i actually like these, but i suck at them really bad, which is a shame because Disgea is a fun time.

dance genre. I get the appeal, but i cant buy a game that i will essentially pull out a few times a year and get bored after 5 mins. when i realize that it is essentially broken, not that I can blame whoever made the game for that, motion tech just isnt there yet where it can accurately track the body, Dance Central is getting close and is the best IMHO

Around the Network

FPS: I try to avoid them because FP games give me motion sickness and I find them boring if I'm honest.

RTS: overly complicated ones confuse me so I try to avoid them, though once I get the hang of them I usually enjoy them. That's probably why I'm such an SRPG nut.

Point and click. I would like them but the "puzzles" are always so convoluted, it's annoying.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Dance genre/Any music genre that makes you copy on screen input: Reason being I suck at them and don't play them often enough to care about the games.

MMOs: A lot of them charge a subscription. For those that don't, I just haven't got round to playing one enough to get into it. Might try SW: TOR soon though.

I don't really avoid any other genres. Even MMOs I don't really avoid, I just haven't got round to playing any yet.

- Sports games. A pretty obvious choice since I don't care much for sports in the first place. Occasional F1 games would be an exception.

- Strategy games. Apart from Halo Wars I've pretty much avoided this genre entirely. It's not on purpose though, I'm just not familiar with any good franchise. Playing strategy games now all of a sudden would be like looking up random facts about Slovakia: It might be interesting, but the risk of it being a waste of time is too big.

- Fitness games. Completely unnecessary since I already am perfectly fit.

- Beat 'em up games. Completely unnecessary since I already... I mean, this genre is just not interesting to me...

- MMOs. These games pretty much only exist on PC, and my current PC is better at keeping my toast warm than playing games.

- Dancing games. I don't like dancing so this is another obvious choice.

- RPGs. Skyrim is the great exception here (not counting Zelda as an RPG). I don't want to be addicted to constantly leveling things up while I expect the gameplay to be kind of repetitive. Therefore, I often try to avoid these games.

- Life simulation. I'm busy enough trying to keep up with my own life.

1. JRPGs The stories often suck which should not be the case in a genre that often focuses on this. The characters are childish and portray women as dumb, sexy girls, men as girls loving fashion, or complete meat heads. Basically, I do not like them because they are often to much like anime. Now, Dark souls does it right and we need more mimicking of the West JRPGs because they can make them good.

2. 2D platformers I get so bored so fast. I will admit there are some gems on live that cost the amount they are worth about $15 and no more. Raymen, Kirby, 2D Mario, Donkey Kong are fun, but do not have lasting appeal. They would have to be priced at lives fair prices for me to forgive the genre for its many weaknesses.

Around the Network

F/TPS - only liked a few games in this genre (Timesplitters and Metroid Prime). Haven't found any others that I've really enjoyed

Racing Sims - Never have been good at them at all and never found them that fun.

Dancing - IMO fun for 5 mins, boring aftwerwards.

Football, American Football, Baseball, Basketball, Golf, WWE, UFC, Race.. there is no fun in those games...

But I love the Mario sports games.

FPS that some people call "WRPG".. Ridiculous, boring, terrible...

FPS: I tried them several times (Doom, Medal of Honor, Counter Strike, BioShock, KillZone 3...) and just never enjoyed them. I even pushed myself to finish BioShock and KillZone 3. Still, I found them boring. So I just gave up. No more FPS for me from now.

WRPGs: again, I was never into this genre. I tried DA:O last year and I got bored ten hours in. I tried Oblivion before and I was bored to death after a few hours. Not for me.

Dance games, fitness games and other casual stuff. Not enjoyable.

MMOs. Never even tried one TBH, but the concept doesn't attract me in the slightest.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

JRPGS and most fantasy/middle earth themed games. Just not my thing.

Sports games* and FPSs, just never got into them.

*By sports games I mean, NBA/NFL/PES types.