By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game genres you dont play or avoid and why.

FPS Games, because most of them feel extremely repetitive to me. There are exceptions like Bioshock (dem gaem was amazing dood), an for some reason i had a lot of fun with the F.E.A.R Series, but aside of those, i neither get satisfaction nor plain fun out of most them. Other games unravel more and more kinds of gameplay as you progress (or just give you a good story that keeps you intrigued), FPS's's..(ssss?) lacks that. big time.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Around the Network

FPS Games: They all look so boring and repetitive to me, I already tried games like: CoD: WaW and Goldeneye 007, but couldn't enjoy them.

Off-Topic: btw, this is my first post!

MrT-Tar said:
F/TPS - only liked a few games in this genre (Timesplitters and Metroid Prime). Haven't found any others that I've really enjoyed

Racing Sims - Never have been good at them at all and never found them that fun.

Dancing - IMO fun for 5 mins, boring aftwerwards.

That sums me up as well, almost creepy how close we are on this topic.

Augen said:
MrT-Tar said:
F/TPS - only liked a few games in this genre (Timesplitters and Metroid Prime). Haven't found any others that I've really enjoyed

Racing Sims - Never have been good at them at all and never found them that fun.

Dancing - IMO fun for 5 mins, boring aftwerwards.

That sums me up as well, almost creepy how close we are on this topic.

I forgot about racing sims, the only thing about racing I can play is Mario Kart, but only for 30 mins, then I start to get bored

Platformers -- Played enough of them on the NES and SNES, and didn't really like them then. Yes, that's right, I hate Mario. I've owned three Mario titles and haven't gotten all the way through a single one. The gameplay is so mindless, and most of the time they have cardboard characters and zero depth in terms of story. Some of the older, non-silly titles did hold my attention--Alundra comes to mind--but those were few and far between. I've gotten over jumping as the primary focus of a game.

Military FPS -- I love sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, or atypical FPS games, but the straight Military variety turns me completely off. They just don't engage my imagination. I actually picked up CoD 4 last xmas, but I just can't find the enthusiasm to play it. Something like Borderlands 2, however, with all it's style and humor, is going to be day one.

Around the Network

mmos because i know i would like them. yeah, i would like them a lot so i will never start to play them because i don't really want to be addicted which would be a possible result of me playing them.

MMOs: never been a fan of those 200+ hours of game where pretty much all of those hours are fetch quests.

Racing: never liked racing games in general, they're are little bit boring IMO (the only exception in my mind is the F-Zero franchise, probably because of it's fast paced races)

Nintendo and PC gamer

As a game reviewer (and even before then), I always felt that to be a gamer you had to keep your options open. That said, there's only ONE genre I actively avoid, a few I'm not fond of, some that I'm picky with, and others I love but suck at.

AS for the games I avoid, It's only sports games. Ended up volunteering to do MLB 12 The Show on Vita a few months back, spent more than 12 hours on it and could NOT figure it out. There were numbers everywhere I didn't understand, a character creator that was VERY detailed but all the stats and info was above my head, and I just had no clue what the fuck I was doing. I fear it'd be the same for any other game in the genre, too. Without a comprehensive "how to play" manual or explanation of what all the stats and info meant, I'm completely lost. Plus like many others, I'd rather play the for real than play a game of it or watch it on TV. Not that I think I should apply that logic to others (I hate the "don't play that genre, do it for real" Card after the debacle that was the Guitar Hero/Rock Band players vs every other ignorant 'tard in the world deal)

Not really interested in racing games unless it's gimmicky or combat racing.

I enjoy puzzle games but I tend to do poorly at them because I don't have the patience to do the same thing over and over again.

I love Strategy RPG's, but I kind of suck at them. Final Fantasy Tactics kicked my ass.

I enjoy Real Time Strategy, but again I kind of suck at them.

I'm not particularly fond of MMORPG's, mostly because I don't like the idea of a monthly subscription. that, and the gameplay is shallow "clickclickclick". I suppose this would qualify as another genre I avoid.

I'm picky with my fighting games. Stuff like Smash Brothers is awesome, and I'm quite fond of the Soul Calibur series, but I don't like tekken, for example.

I'm kind of neutral-to-negative on FPS games. I love shooting t hings, but when you've been playing them enough, they really blend together. Stagnant is a word to describe the genre, something like Borderlands is awesome.

I can't think of any others.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Sports games. I have fun playing 2 or 3 games, after that I get bored so I never bother woth them. Also they want to make them so realistic now with a bunch of stats, gameplan and formation that I think they became dull and overly complicated for something that should just be plain fun.

Racing games, I think they are dull and boring. But only the realistic racing games, I like games like mario kart, wipeout and F-zero.

Fighting games. Other than Super Smash, I play a few fights before I get bored and I usualy rarely play enough to get to know the game so I can pass the ''random button smashing'' phase.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

FPS and Sports games. Anything with multiplayer function will have me rage quitting within a matter of minutes, especially the former. Most likely because I suck at them and my competitive nature just drives me to start rampaging and cursing profanity left and right.

안녕하세요, oh!sayHUN 입니다! — living, loving life @ 04201990 · personal · chocoalatte