By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A virus that kills cancer: the cure that's waiting in the cold

Ah yes, reminds me of John Hammond, creator and financial backer behind Jurassic Park, telling Chief Geneticist Henry Woo about why he decided to make an island full of Dinosaurs, instead of, you know, helping people.

"If you were going to start a bioengineering company, Henry, what would you do? Would you make products to help mankind, to fight illness and disease? Dear me, no. That's a terrible idea. A very poor use of new technology...

Yet, you'll remember ... the original genetic engineering companies, like Genentech and Cetus, were all started to make pharmaceuticals. New drugs for mankind. Noble, noble purpose. Unfortunately, drugs face all kinds of barriers. FDA testing alone takes five to eight years - if you're lucky. Even worse, there are forces at work in the marketplace. Suppose you make a miracle drug for cancer or heart disease - as Genentech did. Suppose you now want to charge a thousand dollars or two thousand dollars a dose. You might imagine that is your privilege. After all, you invented the drug, you paid to develop and test it; you should be able to charge whatever you wish. But do you really think that the government will let you do that? No, Henry, they will not. Sick people aren't going to pay a thousand dollars a dose for needed medication - they won't be grateful, they'll be outraged. Blue Cross isn't going to pay it. They'll scream highway robbery. So something will happen. Your patent application will be denied. Your permits will be delayed. Something will force you to see reason - and to sell your drug at a lower cost. From a business standpoint, that makes helping mankind a very risky business. Personally, I would never help mankind."

Around the Network

Sweden is a cold country and the people are also cold so they move slow.

things take way more time in Sweden than they should I know well because I've lived here for over 20 years

I didn't read the wall of text but the reason they are taking it slow is so that they can make sure they don't harm people who gets this virus treatment. for all we know it might do more damage than good. these things take time and a lot of people will die until they succeed

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

wfz said:

No need to act so defensive and butthurt. :P I brought up relevant points to this thread's discussion, and my extra two cents were running off topic. I was still talking about saving lives and health care, so I think it was a biiiiit more on topic than discussing charts. =)

If you're so upset and adamant that we stay on topic, how come you didn't respond to the part of my post that directly related to this thread? The fact that a cure has been found years ago and it was essentially shunned from society, even when a few recent tests show it works properly and should be looked further into.

Concerning, wouldn't you agree? One theory was that it was too simplistic (monetarily speaking) and wouldn't make large medical companies much money, so since they didn't see a great monetary investment in it, they don't care about it. This leads to the thought that these medical companies care more about making money than saving lives. It's just a theory, however.

I wonder what will come of this new method.

No offense. It is just a sensitive subject for me, and your post was crazy in my opinion.  Overpopulation is indeed a big problem though.

Concerning indeed, and this is just about cancer. Maybe they know much more about cures to other diseases as well but they never invest in them because they only care about money. We never know.

So we've just entered the beginning of a zombie movie ...

On a more serious note, the frustrating part about following medical research is that you will regularly hear about breakthroughs and then never hear about them again. While some of this is due to patents, a large portion of this is simply due to the time and cost associated with proving something is effective and safe; and often what was once thought to be a breakthrough turns out not to be effective or safe.

With that said, I wish a lot of western countries would get together and create a fund to buy the research for drugs/treatments that are effective and safe but can't be patented. Putting up bounties (like $100 Billion for cure to cancer) would eliminate the incentive for any drug company to hide effective treatments. Once the research is bought and verified the drug can be produced as a generic drug.

All I could think of when reading the article was

It's Oden! Not Wotan!

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

No duh it's not out yet. I didn't read the whole article but it sounds like this is a recent discovery.

This'll take awhile (since it's highly experimental) to come out on the market or even be tested on humans.

pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:
pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:
Well I do not like what mendicate bias had to say on the matter.

But I will say that I bet cancer is a multi trillion dollar a year industry. Why would businesses want to actually cure it? Look at HiV patients. Why cure something if you can get people to live their whole life taking 25 pills a day. Residual income for the health field! They learned their lesson after almost eradicating polio, small pox and leprocy. If you find a cure you cannot make money anymore.

I thin you mean Whooo. Is that an icelandic owl?

Iceland does not have owls

Sure it does. I saw a snowy owl flying past the truck while driving there last year. I think I have a photo of it.

(I also saw another one in a cage at a petting zoo near Geysir.)

Now whether there is a native species or a sustainable population of wild owls, I've no clue.

zero129 said:
superchunk said:
People need to use Kickstarter.

I really dont see why something like that couldnt be set up for something like this.

Seriously. If an Android watch or game console can garner millions upon millions of dollars, why can't a potential medical break-thru that won't be backed by a pharmaceutical company get the same or even greater support? I'd bet cancer charities and large groups like Bill Gates foundation would jump in easily.

Pharma industry etc is blocking this so they can earn some money.

Automobile industry is blocking electric cars because they dont even have a tenth of the parts that need to be replaced as in usual cars. So they wont earn money with people buying replacement parts for their cars.

Just watch WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR. its a documentary.

Etc, etc. etc.....

MONEY = CANCER. as long as we cant cure MONEY we wont see much of that stuff.

It will turn you into a Zombie! And spread!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.