By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To you who have been gaming since the NES/SNES...old Nintendo vs modern Nintendo

I take it some vgchartz posters have been gaming since the NES or SNES generation, so I ask you...do you think 'old Nintendo', the Nintendo from 1985-1996, made better games when compared to modern Nintendo (1996 to this day)?...if you do, is it really only nostalgia like some people claim?..or do you say it´s more than that?

Around the Network

New are just as good if not better better imo. It's just that back then Nintendo were miles ahead of most other companies and now loads have caught up.

well, they used to have better 3rd party support....

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I think they were more innovative then game development wise. They had new IP's every year. Now, most of the big games are just remakes of the old ones IMO.

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

Nintendo definitely makes mostly better games now than they used to; although I felt that most GameCube/GBA era games were kind of weak. Although each of the other eras has its brilliance - Super Mario Bros 3, Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong Country 2 (second party), and Mario Galaxy 2.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

well i always like nintendo, "new" or "old" as you said it, for me they always deliver timeless classics that's why i'm loyal to nintendo

I felt like their NES/SNES and even N64 games offered way more fun and enjoyment than the more recent offerings. I'm sure a lot of it is due to nostalgia.

The reason I still enjoy Nintendo games the most is simple: Even though I feel their quality has lessened, they're still my favorite video game experiences.

Well, SNES Mario Kart is still the best for me.

I just miss the 3rd party support they had.

The NES was my fist console and I played it to death. The SNES I had for a short time, but I loved the few games I had and I am now going back and playing them now as I wait for the PS4 , and Nextbox. The N64 was my favorite Nintendo console in which it came around when I was old enough to buy games with my own money. Eventually, I discovered final fantasy seven and Twisted Metal via my friends which caused me to jump ship on the great N64 for the ps1. I just remember even thinking at that time Nintendo did not have enough non-color crazy games. I forgot about Nintendo until the Wii had been out for about three years and I bought it. The games felt the same and I enjoyed a few, but without third party which I enjoy more than any thing by the big three, the Wii was just a console with a few good games with less eye candy and games without stories. The wii made me dislike Nentendo's direction more than I disliked it before. So it is hard for me to see liking the wii U much. I still play SNES and N64 on my tablet, but I do not see the Wii U as looking different enough from the PS360 to justify even considering buying it until it has been on the market at least three years .

Their games stand out more now than before, but I think that's mostly because few others attempt to appeal to the same market that they're targetting, so it's a victory by default. Back then though, their games stood out even though everyone else was also targetting their market with similar genres and strategies. Their games were just better made over all.