By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How do you feel about the performance of the VGChartz mod team?

How is the VGChartz mod team doing?

It's doing a great job. 299 32.97%

It's doing okay. 143 15.77%

It's not doing well. 432 47.63%

Total:874

Question to mods: is it okay to call people out for stealth trolling?

Around the Network

Horrible, to much sausage on the team.

Former something....

Conegamer said:
Mr Khan said:
FrancisNobleman said:
The forum needs more passive trolls, because sometimes they keep threads interesting.

I mean, if you look at the mess that eulolgamer is in the comments section, vgchartz looks like kindergarten.

Don't know to which extent the site would gain more traffic and users that way and still remain a nice place to hang out or not.

The passive trolls are the ones that need to be dealt with the most visibly, as they are the cancer eating away at healthy discourse. It just requires more and broader ability to read into things, and if i'm cultivating the impression that i'm only smacking anti-Nintendo stealth trolls its only because i've spent a long time (6 years or so) arguing with anti-Nintendo trolls in particular, and so am more familiar with the language they employ

But i strike out at other stuff that catches my eye but is not reported to us.

I agree, stealth trolls are the worst, but perhaps banning so swiftly for it is a tiny bit off...then again, I can't see the mod history for the users so I dunno about any previous warnings.

How would you classify this?

Question to mods: is it okay to call people out for shilling?

Is it OK if I say
"Nigger please" it is not a racist statement obviously.

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:
Is it OK if I say

Usrevenge (I think) said something like that and got banned for 20 days by a mod (sega4life or twesterm). So I'm gonna say no...some mods won't mind it, but others will and will give you a heavy ban

AndrewWK said:
Is it OK if I say

My take would be yes for "nigga" (so long as its not used as an insult) no for "nigger."

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

GOOD NIGHT EVERYBODY

I think the current team of moderators is excellent. Some might say that they're heavily pro-Nintendo, but to that I say, who cares? This isn't 2007. Console affiliation was a non-factor in selecting the new mods. We looked at posting and moderation histories and selected the most mature and intelligent candidates possible. Additionally, I will say this: While moderating is at times a very gratifying job, it can also be a no-win one. VERY FEW members come back from a ban and say "You know, I was really out of line and I think that ban was completely appropriate." And those who think the moderators are too strict must not have been around for Dunno/Zexen/Maxwell, because those guys were brutal. Nice people, but they should not have been mods.

Addressing some of the other concerns in this thread, the main way to improve the site from this point forward is to simply improve the format. Get rid of the RSS/Facebook/Twitter links and all of the other unnecessary hotlinks. Don't abandon the news section completely. Draw talented, creative writers from the community (or simply hire some third party writers) to create original content for the news section and promote it through other social websites. This used to be accomplished through Digg, and I'm sure there are several effective ways to promote our content now. The same process could be applied to our reviews, and if we could manage to get our reviews on Metacritic (finally) it would help increase our views.

Splitting up the website and the community won't help promote growth. Gamewise is a wonderful side project, but that's exactly what it should be. Vgchartz is the main focus and it still has huge potential for growth. However, simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Again, removing the clutter will help to leave a better impression on people who visit the site. People join a community because they gain a good impression of the website and want to participate in particular discussions. Moderation is a key aspect of that. Without mods weeding out poor posting, the forums would be a mess, the level of discussion would be lower, and lurkers wouldn't be tempted to join the community. I believe improving the overall layout, going forward, will be the most important part of growing the forums. VGC 3.0 had the right idea of emphasizing four core areas: Numbers, News, Reviews, and Community. However, the implementation was very poor. Instead of integrating these four aspects in a way that made sense, they were separated in a way that was jumbled, confusing, and poorly designed.

If this site is going to be run like a business, let's provide the best service possible. In this economy, I'm sure it would be absurdly easy to find some 20-somethings who would be willing to do website design work for little pay. Oh, and girls want to post in communities with mature, intelligent discussion. They want to discuss videogames as well as their own other personal interests. Provide a welcoming, level-headed atmosphere and the community will continue to diversify. While I believe the Vgchartz community is excellent, I have seen some really questionable threads over the last year. There will be trolls on every website, but they shouldn't go so far as to severely inhibit discussion.

Anyways, there's my mega-rant. The moderation team is excellent and will continue to perform well going forward. Now that Gamewise is done, I hope that the administrative team will focus on improving Vgchartz as much as possible. The Wii U will launch later this year, and we could be the seeing the PS4 and 720 launch next year. Let's be ready for it. Let us be prepared with an excellent community, a reputable news section, the best damn review section on the web, and free weekly sales numbers for all.

Mr Khan said:

The passive trolls are the ones that need to be dealt with the most visibly, as they are the cancer eating away at healthy discourse. It just requires more and broader ability to read into things, and if i'm cultivating the impression that i'm only smacking anti-Nintendo stealth trolls its only because i've spent a long time (6 years or so) arguing with anti-Nintendo trolls in particular, and so am more familiar with the language they employ

But i strike out at other stuff that catches my eye but is not reported to us.

It may be a good idea if somebody else focuses on anti-Nintendo trolls and you focus on anti-Sony or anti-Microsoft trolls for now, just so you get the hang of unbiased modding as much as possible.

But if that happens somebody should be on the anti-Nintendo trolls for sure, they are many.