By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How do you feel about the performance of the VGChartz mod team?

How is the VGChartz mod team doing?

It's doing a great job. 299 32.97%

It's doing okay. 143 15.77%

It's not doing well. 432 47.63%

Total:874

I guess there's something I'm missing, because I still believe that permabanning someone directly for a racist/homophobic post is simply silly...

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Maybe not, it was hard to think of an example. But I hope you realise my point, some things could be viewed as racist without being intended to be racist.

Naturally it wouldnt be decided by one mod, right on the spot. It would be discussed and we would have to come to an agreement regarding the entire situation.

If it were to happen (Which it wont, as I seem to be the only one with the stance), then it wouldnt be the decision of one person.

Ka-pi96 said:

Well that does sound a lot better. So it wouldn't be a guarenteed perma ban for it, but dependant on how bad the racism is and the context of it. That could work

Context is key with every moderation.

Carl2291 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Maybe not, it was hard to think of an example. But I hope you realise my point, some things could be viewed as racist without being intended to be racist.

Naturally it wouldnt be decided by one mod, right on the spot. It would be discussed and we would have to come to an agreement regarding the entire situation.

If it were to happen (Which it wont, as I seem to be the only one with the stance), then it wouldnt be the decision of one person.

To be honest, on a case-by-case basis I'd be willing to vote in favour of removing people who simply take leave of their senses and post horrendous shit!

I just think automatic permas is something we need to be careful with. A month or so back with the sexism thing, I thought it was completely obvious some people deserved lengthy bans (circa 10 days) and handed them out. Other mods disagreed. Learning from that, the nature of opinions is that they'll differ.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

AZWification said:

I guess there's something I'm missing, because I still believe that permabanning someone directly for a racist/homophobic post is simply silly...

I agree. A 2 month ban is fair for someone who says something like that but definitely not a permaban. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

The counterargument is that sometimes folks just have a bad day and let their badness out for others to see. Remember the famous Christian Bale rant? That was apparently a very isolated incident and, supposedly, he's usually a great guy to work with. We have to balance a line between the absolutely unacceptable nature of such comments against the fact that we shouldn't turn members of the community away just for having one (one!) bad incident.

History plays a part in this, of course. If Megadrive08 hadn't been such a longtime user, of course he would have been out on his ass for a comment like that. As it is, his neck's on the chopping block.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Carl2291 said:
JoeTheBro said:
Does it matter if a mod is a good poster?

On one hand I think it should since that mod helps set the tone for discussion, but on the other hand the mod could still be great at modding even if their posts are bad.

I think being a good poster is key.

As a mod our job isnt just to ban people and warn people, but to push positive discussion, keep threads on topic and set a good example for other users to follow.

Then would you consider "off the books" stricter mod moderating?

I mean you have your chat to discuss if a post should be moderated or not, but do you ever talk about your guys' own posts? IE "hey randoMod, this post of yours was in the grey area"

We talk about eachothers posts and behaviour, yeah.

If any user has a problem with how a mod is behaving in a thread, on a wall or wherever then you should ALWAYS let the team know through either a report, or a message to Kantor or Smeags.

Mods arent invulnerable.

JoeTheBro said:

I mean you have your chat to discuss if a post should be moderated or not, but do you ever talk about your guys' own posts? IE "hey randoMod, this post of yours was in the grey area"

Yes, several times. Obviously it doesn't happen particularly often, but it does happen rest assured.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Hmm. Good to know.

In the weekly sales thread Starcraft invited a user to talk here, and now that makes more sense.