By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What went wrong with Age Of Empires?

Tagged games:

I didn't like Mythology much either compared to AOE2. It was a pretty phenomenal RTS to be honest, just got everything right in my eyes.

Around the Network

Aaah, yes -AoE I & II were great! I didn't really care for 3 really... Isn't there an AoE online right now?? Would sure love to see a 4th entry in the series :)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who actually loved AoM... AoE II is my favourite, but I really enjoyed AoM. That said, I didn't care for AoE III at all. As others have said, the biggest problem was the setting. It just wasn't interesting. It never really grabbed me like the second game did.

They murdered the setting. Age of Empires 2 was about the great historical military campaigns. The campaigns were brief. They didn't drag on. They weren't about some random Scotsman in the New World. The game had some charm and a heart. 

Perhaps they were trying to emulate Age of Mythology with  AoE3. They failed. AOM had one of the most epic campaigns of any RTS ever, and was about mythology, which is awesome, and not about the colonisation of America, which is much less awesome.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

DanneSandin said:
Aaah, yes -AoE I & II were great! I didn't really care for 3 really... Isn't there an AoE online right now?? Would sure love to see a 4th entry in the series :)

Don't hold your breath. Ensemble studios was closed several years ago, and I shudder to even think of how much more another studio would ruin the franchise.

The original plan was for AoE 4 to be about the first world war, which probably wouldn't go well. Ensemble hit on greatness twice with AoE2 and AoM, and I doubt they would see it again with that franchise.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:
DanneSandin said:

Don't hold your breath. Ensemble studios was closed several years ago, and I shudder to even think of how much more another studio would ruin the franchise.

The original plan was for AoE 4 to be about the first world war, which probably wouldn't go well. Ensemble hit on greatness twice with AoE2 and AoM, and I doubt they would see it again with that franchise.

Oh man, that's too sad to hear =( no AoE4?! sux

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I really loved the first two AOE games and AOM is actually my favourite of the bunch! Haven't played AOE 3 yet....

Kantor said:
DanneSandin said:

Somebody must own the IP, they could use other studio, ...just wondering.

OT: I liked AoM, but not that much to play the expansions, or ... was there a sequel or just expansions? Anyways..

AoE, was awesome, and AoE II was even more awesome. I once played a demo of AoE III, probably a tutorial or something, ... it was boring.

Those are great games for LAN multiplayer.

AOE2 and AOM were really great. I liked AOM more though. AOE3 sucked because of the setting and the focus on graphics. Same thing with C&C. Also both Westwood and Ensemble got owned by their parent corporation.

Slimebeast said:
JEMC said:

They also got the age setting wrong, it was more modern that the previous games, but it didn't advance enough, or any. I mean, playing as a prehistoric village that manages to become the Roman Empire is satisfying, but playing as British citizens that try to conquest North America... and that's it, isn't that exciting.

The more sensible approach would have been do a "Empire Earth" game. Starting with prehistoric men and ending with intergalactical civilizations.

This, so much this.

AoE 3 had innovative gameplay mechanics but the historical time period between the 16th century and the Industrial Age simply wasn't interesting. And I didn't want to freaking colonize America, give me something epic! And the SP campaign that depicted the history of the fictional Black family was far from epic (not that SP matters that much for an RTS).

The Ancient times and Medieval times just are so much much more interesting settings than the era between 1500-1850, from a historical and mythological perspective, at least in the context of a game.

And swords-archers-siege is much more exciting than guns and cannons.

Clearly they should have tried an Empire Earth approach or just chosen a different epoch no matter if it had ruined the chronological order.

So that's what went wrong. Age of Empires 3 failed. Actually it already started with AoM, because they chose bad timing to go off the historical path and it fractured the player base. And only 3 civs in AoM, WTF was that? AoE2 was dearly loved not least because it had so many civs.

To be fair, the civilizations in AoE weren't that different while they were distinct in AoM.

Age of Mythology is fine as long as you view it as a spin off.

I LOVE ICELAND!