By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What went wrong with Age Of Empires?

Tagged games:

Scoobes said:
Baalzamon said:
JEMC said:

The more sensible approach would have been do a "Empire Earth" game. Starting with prehistoric men and ending with intergalactical civilizations.

Do not even bring Empire Earth into this.  That series had the same issue.  The first one was absolutely amazing, and the second one was horrible compared to it.  The third one was absolutely atrocious.

The sequel was an absolute waste of potential. It had some great ideas but completely ruined the implementation. Didn't even bother with the third.

Now the first one, I remember I played an 8 player random map that lasted 29 hours... epic!

I suppose that was against computer opponents, but did the game really have such strong AI?

I only played it online. I liked Empire Earth even though it was very rough around the edges.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Scoobes said:
Baalzamon said:
JEMC said:

The more sensible approach would have been do a "Empire Earth" game. Starting with prehistoric men and ending with intergalactical civilizations.

Do not even bring Empire Earth into this.  That series had the same issue.  The first one was absolutely amazing, and the second one was horrible compared to it.  The third one was absolutely atrocious.

The sequel was an absolute waste of potential. It had some great ideas but completely ruined the implementation. Didn't even bother with the third.

Now the first one, I remember I played an 8 player random map that lasted 29 hours... epic!

I suppose that was against computer opponents, but was did the game really have such strong AI?

I only played it online. I liked Empire Earth even though it was very rough around the edges.

It was, but I also put all the resources on the slowest settings and the selected the largest map. I wanted a time sink and it didn't disappoint. The only problem was that AI opponents, whilst not difficult per se just didn't quit... like ever. If you missed 1 villager/citizen (very easy on a map that size), then they survive, rebuild and just come back stronger.

I remember it took me ages to defeat the first two opponents simply because they would just keep surviving even though I'd win nearly every battle.

Many different factors as others in here have already stated.

To me AOE2 is the greatest RTS ever made

Slimebeast said:

I suppose that was against computer opponents, but did the game really have such strong AI?

I always thought the AI was pretty strong, but then again I was rather young when I played that game and lacked RTS skills to say the least.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Ok, anyone try the 7 Kingdoms series? I thought the first had potential, and had features I wish Age of Empires had.

Around the Network

Age of Empires Online is actually a pretty decent game. Worth trying out if you are a fan of AoE 1/2.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

I thought AoE III was disappointing as well. I know it was to be expected given the leap in pc power from the late 90s to mid 00s, but I far prefer the pre-rendered sprites of AoEII to the real time models in III. I would have preferred if Ensemble used pre-rendering again, just utilising the extra space of DVDs in order for each nation to have their own styled units/buildings and things like that.

I also would've preferred it if they changed and extended the time period/setting. I personally found the American colonisation theme too narrow and slightly boring. I was personally hoping for the game to cover all of the early-mid colonial and Napoleonic period, probably up to and including the Franco-Prussian war. I wanted AoEII-esque campaigns featuring Bismark, The Duke of Wellington, Lord Chelmsford, Ulysses S Grant, Oliver Cromwell, Napoleon I, etc. That was the AoEIII I desired

Baalzamon said:
JEMC said:

Please don't get me wrong. I was only using Empire Earth to show the time frame I think Ensemble should have used for Age of Empires 3, not that they should have copied that game.

We could discuss if going from prehistoric times to the future was necessary or not, maybe going from the Middle Age till today could have been enough, but focusing the game on that short period of time like they did, went against them.

A little off-topic: does anyone know how to make Age of Empires run on Win 7 without problems? It's very odd to play with when rivers and seas are purple, among other things.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

PDF said:

I ended up getting all three aoe3 games for 99 cents thx to someone here showing me a sale, so I cant complain. In my opinion the game was boring. It was over simplified. It felt slow and not very robust. I loved Empire Earth and there is still a very devoted following that play that game online.

http://www.facebook.com/save.empireearth   thats their facebook for anyone interested.  You can get the game for free now.

Cool. I wander how many people play Empire Earth online simultaneously at any given time.

Also, do you know of a similar FB page for AoE2? Obviously that one has an active community too, but the majority who play it today are really skilled compared to the MS Zone days.

AoE II is one of my fav. games of all time! Dude, I have a fucking Mac with Lion OSX and it does NOT support AoE II!!

Seriously, I simply can no longer play this game and supposedly they don't even want to do a remake. Looks like it's wiped off the face of the Earth for me.