By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Want To Learn A New Language...what should I go with?

Which Language Should I Learn?

Arabic 9 7.76%

Mandarin 10 8.62%

Japanese 28 24.14%

spanish 20 17.24%

Italian 3 2.59%

Greek 7 6.03%

German 18 15.52%

Turkish 3 2.59%

Portugese 10 8.62%

Russian 7 6.03%

Total:115

I voted for greek since its the closest to latin.

Around the Network

My computer doesn't like quoting posts... nor does it like editing them.

My first comment where I quoted the other person said

"Latin is also very practical for a career in Science or Law. It is also the base for many languages so ontop of understanding English better it could be a gate way to another Latin based language"

English is a derivative of german, so yeah, they are pretty close^^

I would learn latin. It's important as a scientific language and the base to other latin based languages like french, spanish, portuguese, romanian and italian.

German is not latin based but it adopted a lot of latin words because of historic interaction and english in turn adopted latin words from german. So latin can also help to improve the understanding of these two languages.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

French- Really easy
Japanese- for anime and games
Chinese- lot more people will speak it in the future
German- Its BA

Crystalchild said:

japanese (to be able to play JP only games) or german (To gain the ability to yell "NEIN" like a native).

edit: Like some people already said, due to the similarities, german might be quite simple to learn. the only pain might be learning the german articles ~

The definite articles in German refer to specific persons, objects, ideas…etc. and they are : der, die, das, die (plural) they all mean the expression “the” in English, der is used for masculine nouns, die is used for feminine nouns, das is used for neuter nouns, and finally die used also for plural nouns.

( http://german.speak7.com/german_articles.htm )

funfact: pretty much every game console except for the Gamecube, N64, NES and SNES (if i recall correctly that is) do have the feminine article, "die". (Yes, its written as "to die") while the 4 Nintendo consoles mentioned have the masculine "der". (except for if you spell it out, the word "system" turns the nes and snes into neutral words, and are therefore not masculine anymore. :P) But yeah, in a nutshell nintendo is DA MAN (except for the wii, she's a her :P), while sony and microsoft only have girly machines.

German is not the only language with 3 articles.  French also has three  they are different tho  the third one is not neuter/neutral  it is for words that begin with  A E I O U or H  l'ordinateur  (the computer)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_%28grammar%29

P.S.  (off topic)
Your  console article thing is incorrect.   "Die Wii" is not the correct term   "Die" was never officially said  it was carried over by the new players and some console switchers whose consoles were always female  like  "Die Xbox"  "Die Playstation" etc.  and by people who just believe Wikipedia without knowing whats going on.

The German Wikipedia is a bunch of Idiots that refuse to remove this false statement that Wii is female.  They think its good to add inofficial information and remove everyones attempt to correct it. And in other parts of Wikipedia they do it the exact other way around. They wont add anything if you cant prove it  how stupid..... 

IMHO  We should go by what the Manual says.  The manual implies that Wii in German has a special status like  GOOGLE etc.   You cant use "the google" you just use "google".

If you still have the manual of a day1 console.  The whole manual  does not name the Wii with any kind of article. All articles that are mentioned there refer to the second part of the compound words (words made up by adding more than 1 word. Example:  Die Wii-konsole/Die Wiimote )    in this case "die"  refers to Konsole or Fernbedienung which is remote.

Another big problem here is that alot of people who have no Idea that the Wikipedia entry is false   see it and also spread wrong information.  The same thing happend with WiiU   WiiU was not even mentioned by any German Nintendo representaative and everyone already calls it "Die WiiU" Thiis  happend minutes after the name was made public. And "die WiiU" can already be seen on Wikipedia .  totally stupid.

SORRY for going off-topic. Wont happen again.

Around the Network

I think Spanish would be one of the easiest out of those options.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Thanks for the tons of advice everyone. The decision is much easier now!!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Simply choose either the most useful one (Spanish or Mandarin) or the one that attracts you the most (perhaps Japanese from a gamer's standpoint).

I'm Spanish, was a Spanish teacher and I'm living in Japan. So my opinion on Spanish and Japanese.

Spanish is easy in many areas. Pronunciation and spelling are beyond simple so it literally takes one afternoon to learn to read and pronounce Spanish fluently. Of course you still won't know what you're reading/saying but this helps A LOT. Grammar is logical, but you'll have to learn many different conjugations for verbs, which sucks for English natives. Still, one of the easier languages out there and very useful.

Japanese. The opposite of Spanish when it comes to writing/reading. Nightmare. You may be 99% fluent in conversation before you are able to read a newspaper properly. The pronunciation is very easy, just like Spanish. The grammar is very simple, but very different to English, so some people struggle. For me it's very easy, but I speak Basque which is (surprisingly) pretty similar grammatically so that may have helped. But, overall, I'd say it's not too hard, very simplified language with few different times (present, past, etc.) and no conjugations.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

You're asking a gaming website if you should learn any other language... or Japanese?

I mean what were you really expecting the results to be here?

SW-5120-1900-6153

Troll_Whisperer said:
Simply choose either the most useful one (Spanish or Mandarin) or the one that attracts you the most (perhaps Japanese from a gamer's standpoint).

I'm Spanish, was a Spanish teacher and I'm living in Japan. So my opinion on Spanish and Japanese.

Spanish is easy in many areas. Pronunciation and spelling are beyond simple so it literally takes one afternoon to learn to read and pronounce Spanish fluently. Of course you still won't know what you're reading/saying but this helps A LOT. Grammar is logical, but you'll have to learn many different conjugations for verbs, which sucks for English natives. Still, one of the easier languages out there and very useful.

Japanese. The opposite of Spanish when it comes to writing/reading. Nightmare. You may be 99% fluent in conversation before you are able to read a newspaper properly. The pronunciation is very easy, just like Spanish. The grammar is very simple, but very different to English, so some people struggle. For me it's very easy, but I speak Basque which is (surprisingly) pretty similar grammatically so that may have helped. But, overall, I'd say it's not too hard, very simplified language with few different times (present, past, etc.) and no conjugations.

To be fair, average spanish speakers probably use 10% of all the existing conjugations.