By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Want To Learn A New Language...what should I go with?

Which Language Should I Learn?

Arabic 9 7.76%

Mandarin 10 8.62%

Japanese 28 24.14%

spanish 20 17.24%

Italian 3 2.59%

Greek 7 6.03%

German 18 15.52%

Turkish 3 2.59%

Portugese 10 8.62%

Russian 7 6.03%

Total:115

Arabic is more than just people arguing like the media would like ya to think. Arabic people are very passionate, and have written many a romantic dirge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVkinOfzTdg&feature=related

The lol was mocking or more like you know what I'm talking about? I'd like to challenge to find a language more beautiful than arabic, honestly.

Around the Network

Hmm... I honestly would love to learn Japanese myself. Japanese culture is just so foreign and beautiful to me... But, like I said, their written language is a huge barrier. If a curriculum can be concocted that somehow skips the Kanji altogether or simplifies it greatly, then I'd get on it right away.

ultima said:
Hmm... I honestly would love to learn Japanese myself. Japanese culture is just so foreign and beautiful to me... But, like I said, their written language is a huge barrier. If a curriculum can be concocted that somehow skips the Kanji altogether or simplifies it greatly, then I'd get on it right away.

Yeah that's basically what I've heard. It's VERY VERY hard to learn the written language. 

Mandarin on the other hand is supposedly much more easier to get into. 

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
badgenome said:
I say Turkish. He's a pretty cool guy.

Not on neogaf he isn't...he calls himself Emperor of Turkey there. 

Cmon man, tell me how I should behave, I wanna be a good guy

badgenome said:

Thank you badgenome ^_^ You're a goodgenome :)

Around the Network
Turkish said:
darthdevidem01 said:
badgenome said:

Not on neogaf he isn't...he calls himself Emperor of Turkey there. 

Cmon man, tell me how I should behave, I wanna be a good guy

We must fight this battle on neogaf Turkish...I'll be in touch. 

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I would take Japanese or Spanish.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

darthdevidem01 said:
Immortal said:
Depends. Which language(s) do you already know? Having studied five over my life and started three from scratch, I can pretend to be an expert here, :P.

Mentioned earlier...English, Hindi & Marathi (2 indian languages). I can speak all 3 fluently & write in them. 

What 5 have you studied?...I need your advice!! & you have a dog avatar so are automatically MORE reliable! 

Oh, sorry. By the time I posted my question, you'd already stated it.

And I speak Hindi, too, other than English. The only thing I know how to say in Marathi, though is "don't spit", xD. Anyway, I grew up with English and Hindi, then have managed to learn French, Spanish and Japanese to some extent.

From my experience (I feel so old and smart saying that, :P), Japanese was the easiest. That said, do you have any particular affinity for anime? Because that has made it a hell lot easier for me, although I've only been studying it for a year now.

If you try French/Spanish/Italian/Portuguese/Latin, the fact that you know three Indo-European languages well should really help, though. Plus, you live in the UK, right? I think most games in Europe have all 5 European languages in them. I've been using that to hugely improve both my French and Spanish. Although it's completely bastardized, playing Phoenix Wright or some RPG with lots of text is beyond helpful.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Blacksaber said:
Boutros said:
I'd go with Russian, Japanese or Mandarin.

Don't bother with French :/

Indeed theres no point in taking French.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7osGfFTQVtU

lul

darthdevidem01 said:
ultima said:

Yeah that's basically what I've heard. It's VERY VERY hard to learn the written language. 

Mandarin on the other hand is supposedly much more easier to get into. 

I'm not sure if that's true; according to wikipedia:

Chinese characters number in the tens of thousands, though most of these are minor graphic variants only encountered in historical texts. Studies carried out in China have shown that functional literacy requires a knowledge of between three and four thousand characters.

That doesn't mention Mandarin specifically, but I'm sure it applies to Mandarin. Isn't that insane? LOL