By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Want To Learn A New Language...what should I go with?

Which Language Should I Learn?

Arabic 9 7.76%

Mandarin 10 8.62%

Japanese 28 24.14%

spanish 20 17.24%

Italian 3 2.59%

Greek 7 6.03%

German 18 15.52%

Turkish 3 2.59%

Portugese 10 8.62%

Russian 7 6.03%

Total:115

Russian all the way! No language sounds more badass and sexy in a strong way than Russian.

Around the Network

Spanish!!! That way, you'll finally learn to read my username and understand what it means.

Edit: Also, why is Spanish the only option in your poll without capital letters? Stop the racism!!  

darthdevidem01 said:
Turkish said:
darthdevidem01 said:
badgenome said:
I say Turkish. He's a pretty cool guy.

Not on neogaf he isn't...he calls himself Emperor of Turkey there. 

Cmon man, tell me how I should behave, I wanna be a good guy

We must fight this battle on neogaf Turkish...I'll be in touch. 

In a couple days... whats your username there? Do you visit the Vita thread?

Immortal said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Immortal said:
Depends. Which language(s) do you already know? Having studied five over my life and started three from scratch, I can pretend to be an expert here, :P.

Mentioned earlier...English, Hindi & Marathi (2 indian languages). I can speak all 3 fluently & write in them. 

What 5 have you studied?...I need your advice!! & you have a dog avatar so are automatically MORE reliable! 

Oh, sorry. By the time I posted my question, you'd already stated it.

And I speak Hindi, too, other than English. The only thing I know how to say in Marathi, though is "don't spit", xD. Anyway, I grew up with English and Hindi, then have managed to learn French, Spanish and Japanese to some extent.

From my experience (I feel so old and smart saying that, :P), Japanese was the easiest. That said, do you have any particular affinity for anime? Because that has made it a hell lot easier for me, although I've only been studying it for a year now.

If you try French/Spanish/Italian/Portuguese/Latin, the fact that you know three Indo-European languages well should really help, though. Plus, you live in the UK, right? I think most games in Europe have all 5 European languages in them. I've been using that to hugely improve both my French and Spanish. Although it's completely bastardized, playing Phoenix Wright or some RPG with lots of text is beyond helpful.

Cool I grew up with English & Marathi. Learnt Hindi through bollywood. The language your write with basically the same for Marath & Hindi.

Wow Japanese was the easiest was it...that's very interesting. I have a good affinity for anime...a very good affinity BUT I won't have time to see a lot of it. So in regards to Japanese what level would you say you're at in terms of reading & writing?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

ultima said:
darthdevidem01 said:
ultima said:
Hmm... I honestly would love to learn Japanese myself. Japanese culture is just so foreign and beautiful to me... But, like I said, their written language is a huge barrier. If a curriculum can be concocted that somehow skips the Kanji altogether or simplifies it greatly, then I'd get on it right away.

Yeah that's basically what I've heard. It's VERY VERY hard to learn the written language. 

Mandarin on the other hand is supposedly much more easier to get into. 

I'm not sure if that's true; according to wikipedia:

Chinese characters number in the tens of thousands, though most of these are minor graphic variants only encountered in historical texts. Studies carried out in China have shown that functional literacy requires a knowledge of between three and four thousand characters.

That doesn't mention Mandarin specifically, but I'm sure it applies to Mandarin. Isn't that insane? LOL

OMG that is insaaaane!!!

@Morenoin

LOL that is bothering me so much. Not because of racism but because of my OCD of needing to have everything ordered similarly or symmetrical.

@Turkish

Ironically I am called TheEmperor on Neogaf LOL 

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
German obviously.

Sprichst du Deutsch Ryan?

I guess German can be handy if you plan to attend Octoberfest or Gamescom :P or even Rock am Ring / Rock im Park.

J/k aside. Learn the lanuage that you intend to use. Either you have friends with whom you can use it or you intend to travel, relocate, work in a country where that language is spoken. There's honestly no point in investing your time into something you won't use. Language is not like riding a bike, you have to nurture it, train it... Or you'll simply forget it.

Pimp3k said:
spurgeonryan said:
German obviously.

Sprichst du Deutsch Ryan?

I guess German can be handy if you plan to attend Octoberfest or Gamescom :P or even Rock am Ring / Rock im Park.

J/k aside. Learn the lanuage that you intend to use. Either you have friends with whom you can use it or you intend to travel, relocate, work in a country where that language is spoken. There's honestly no point in investing your time into something you won't use. Language is not like riding a bike, you have to nurture it, train it... Or you'll simply forget it.

Reported for not spelling Oktoberfest properly.

darthdevidem01 said:

Cool I grew up with English & Marathi. Learnt Hindi through bollywood. The language your write with basically the same for Marath & Hindi.

Wow Japanese was the easiest was it...that's very interesting. I have a good affinity for anime...a very good affinity BUT I won't have time to see a lot of it. So in regards to Japanese what level would you say you're at in terms of reading & writing?

If you won't have time to immerse yourself in anime, then maybe it won't work as well. When I started Japanese, I was basically watching ~15 anime episodes a day (it was summer) so I picked up a lot of stuff. Spoken Japanese really isn't hard. Honestly, right now, I can watch anime and understand ~70% of it already. I can also communicate most basic messages and some slightly complex stuff. The sentence structure is very easy to pick up and it has only a few exceptions for most things in grammar, unlike English, in which there are exceptions to exceptions to exceptions. I'm not joking. There's nothing along the lines of the thousands of exceptions in English to i before e except after c or when sounding like a.

Reading and writing, though is where it gets painful. Japanese basically has two scripts; kana and kanji. The kana are divided into two sets of alphabets that have the same pronounciation; one for when they're using foreign words (like "power", which becomes "pawaa" and juice, which becomes "jyuusu"), called katakana and one for normal Japanese words, called hiragana. There's a little less than 50 different letters that you have to learn to write in both types. This might sound a little confusing, but this much you can completely master within a couple of months at most, I bet, because the pronounciations are horribly simple. Altogether, the Japanese language only has about 120 sounds you have to make. This is compared to some 30,000 we've learned to make in English, apparently. (And who knows how many in Hindi!)

The kanji, however, are basically fairly complicated Chinese letters similar to hieroglyphs in their function. They represent ideas and not pronounciations in themselves so they usually have lots of sounds for each character. Worse still, there's 2000 of them to master if you want a basic level of literacy (most Japanese adults know over 5000 if they read a lot). I'm only at about 200 so far so reading books is outright impossible. Video games are a little easier, but not that much. Meaning my reading level is comparable to a seven-year-old Japanese child at best. My writing is even worse. So if you pick Japanese, don't expect to be able to play video games anytime soon, though talking to Japanese people shouldn't take long at all.

Sorry if I went on something of an unnecessary ramble about Japanese there. Hey, at least you're more informed now, :P.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

darthdevidem01 said:
Nevermore said:
What languages do you already know, except for English?

English, Hindi & Marathi (2 indian languages). I can speak all 3 fluently & write in them. 

@Boutros

I'm sorry but I would never take French, I tried at secondary school & didn't do well. 

@Ultima

My aim is to enjoy learning it & to boost my CV at the same time. 

If I go by pure enjoyment I would like to learn Japanese to improt games & understand anime. But what if I hate Japanese games (like most do!!!11) and anime in a few years LOL

Imo you should pick one that is both practical and asthetic to you, so it should have some possible use given your circumstances/career and you must simply like hearing and speaking it. Two big emerging markets are China and Brazil, so Mandarin and Portuguese are obvious choices. I've been told that Mandarin has a fairly simple grammar compared to English or German, so I'd favor that one over Portuguese. Other quite practical languages would be French, German, Spanish and Japanese. I wouldn't bother with the rest tbh, since you would have to madly adore them in order to consider those over the more global ones, and if you did then you wouldn't have needed to post this thread. ;)

Which language do you consider the most beautiful sounding?

Me personally i would pick Japanese, Mandarin, or Russian. It also depends on which country you live in and if there is a demand for people who speak another language like here in the USA there is a demand for people who can speak spanish and english, or are you learning to just know or do something new?