By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Madonna may turn you into a gay, destroy Russia

Tagged games:

If you are at a Madonna concert, you are already gay.

Yes. 7 100.00%

Total:7

Madonna sued over gay rights stance by Russian campaigners

Anti-gay activists say criticism of law banning 'homosexual propaganda' may lead to Russia being unable to defend borders

Madonna condemned a law imposing fines for spreading 'homosexual propaganda' at a St Petersburg show. Photograph: Shamukov Ruslan/ITAR-TASS Photo/Corbis

A group of Russian anti-gay activists are suing American pop star Madonna for $10m, saying she had insulted their feelings when she spoke out for gay rights at a concert in St Petersburg last week.

Performing in black lingerie with the words "No Fear" scrawled on her back, Madonna attacked a city law adopted in March that imposes fines for spreading homosexual "propaganda". She had earlier called the law a "ridiculous atrocity".

Homosexuality, punished with jail terms in the Soviet Union, was decriminalised in Russia in 1993, but much of the gay community remains underground as prejudice runs deep.

"She had been warned with words that she should behave in line with the law and she ignored it. So we will speak in the language of money," said Darya Dedova, one of the 10 activists who filed the lawsuit in a St Petersburg court.

"Of course, it is difficult to measure moral damages and suffering but maybe people who earn money regardless of moral rules will better understand this."

Dedova added that if they won the case, the money would be sent to orphanages.

Alexei Kolotkov, another of the activists who filed the suit, said: "Maybe someone does not see the link but after Madonna's concert maybe some boy becomes gay, some girl becomes lesbian, fewer children are born as a result and this big country cannot defend its borders - for me it causes moral suffering."

The St Petersburg propaganda law is the model for a bill that has been submitted to the national parliament but has not yet faced a vote. Critics say they fear it could be used to clamp down on the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community, for example by barring gay rights demonstrations.

In Moscow, gay rights suffered a blow when an appeal court upheld a lower court's ruling that found city authorities had acted legally when they rejected applications from activists to hold a gay pride parade, banning one from taking place in the city every year for the next 100 years.

Attempts to hold gay rights rallies in the Russian capital have often ended in arrests and clashes with anti-gay activists.

In May, dozens of people were detained in Moscow after Russian Orthodox activists broke up two gay rights marches, throwing water and shouting prayers.

---

Damn it, Orthodox activists. I am really not comfortable being on Madonna's side like this.

Around the Network

Oh god that's brilliant. Instead of going to war you send Madonna to a country and she'll turn everyone gay. Then you just have to wait a number of years until their entire economy collapses due to no new youth being born.

wfz said:
Oh god that's brilliant. Instead of going to war you send Madonna to a country and she'll turn everyone gay. Then you just have to wait a number of years until their entire economy collapses due to no new youth being born.

Did you see the videos from her latest tour where she kept whipping out her octagenarian boob? Every man in Turkey became instantly sterile (and gay).

lol. Don't know if they should make it illegal to speak out in support of gays and this is coming from someone who will never accept a same sex marriage as anything more than two people living in the same house.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Get real Russia is living in the past. Madonna looks amazing for 54 though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vkYyqxHdwNg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Around the Network
badgenome said:
wfz said:

Did you see the videos from her latest tour where she kept whipping out her octagenarian boob? Every man in Turkey became instantly sterile (and gay).

How did they become sterile, was it the boob?

happydolphin said:

Yes. Sterile and blind.

badgenome said:
happydolphin said:

Yes. Sterile and blind.

Ouch, I hope Turkish is ok.

I answered Yes in the poll btw, not sure if that was the right choice.

Interesting ...

I have read several well sourced articles that suggest the roots of many progressive social movements originated in (or were supported by) the USSR as a means to reframe communist principles/propaganda in a way that was more palpable in western capitalist democracies; and now Russia fears what impact these same social movements will have on their own country.

I was hoping this article was by the Onion... wait, is it?

EDIT: Dang it! It isn't...