By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics: Gamecube vs. Xbox vs. PS2 vs. Dreamcast

Darc Requiem said:
curl-6 said:

It's not as simple as that.

The Xbox was easier to program for, so it's full power was easy to harness, which is why it's seen as "the most powerful." The Gamecube was much trickier, and only Factor 5 ever fully unlocked it. The Xbox had more brute force, but lower internal banwidth, a less efficient CPU, and slower RAM hampered its overall performance, while the Gamecube was more efficient but had less RAM and lacked a hard drive for streaming. 

You couldn't do, say, Chronicles of Riddick on Gamecube, but you couldn't do RouGe Squadron 3 on Xbox either.

That's the most accurate assessment of the situation.

@Khuutra

I see he ignored your post as well as mine. That speaks volumes.

I see a minority here like to ignore al specs and all proven developer opinions. In fact all media opinions to. Insted notbackin it up with any liks to developers o media whatsoever. Just here look at tis screenshot. Im rigt.

Can anyone claiming the GC as the best post 1 single developer info or media outlet with a link. Beecause theres hundreds in this thread in favour of Xbox.

Around the Network

Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, then Dreamcast. 

Xbox has the best looking games, and while the Gamecube is more powerful than the PS2, unless you mention Resident Evil 4, the PS2 a lot more games that look better than those on the Gamecube rather than just a few.  The Dreamcast is easily the least powerful of them, with launch titles from all three consoles looking better than almost anything on the Dreamcast aside from Dead or Alive 2 and Soul Calibur.  Shenmue is a great game and a great looking game, but compared to anything decent looking on any of the three consoles it doesn't compare.

It's my favorite console of last gen, so here's a few of the best looking PS2 games in my opinion. 

Resident Evil Outbreak 1 and 2.  The two best looking games on the PS2 and better looking games than RE4 on either the PS2 or Gamecube, all of this my opinion.  Now RE4 has the best looking character models of any game last gen, but when it  comes to textures and detail of the world itself, that's where the Outbreak series is  much better.  One thing that Outbreak doesn't do is you can't adjust the camera yourself, it might adjust by tilting down a hallway you're going down or panning back when you're nearing a door like the older titles, but one thing about Outbreak is unlike the older PSX titles, the world is full 3D and not prerendered 3D and it still looks as good as it does.   

On a side note.  Almost everyone hated these games, and the only reasons I can think of is because the god awful load times and they don't use classic Resident Evil characters.  Leon wasn't an original character when Resident Evil 2 was released.  People are too harsh a critic on games these days.  These two games were absolutely amazing games that refined the classic Resident Evil gameplay and set the player(or players,) in different scenarios.  In some stages zombies kept getting in one way or another, or you had something following you so you were never entirely safe.  This game was truly survival horror, not the direction that Resident Evil has went towards. The first game in the Outbreak series is also better than the second in the series, but again, that's opinion.

Xenosaga 3.  Being a sci fi style game sort of helps Xenosaga 3 out as it uses the same standard as every sci fi game has used then and now.  Flat although clean looking corridors with automated doors.  But there is the times that it diverts from that and is extremely well detailed and very beautiful. Character models are also some of the best you'll see in a video game developed last gen.

Final Fantasy 12.  Already mentioned, but this is an amazing looking game.  I'd like to see this get a HD rerelease over FF10.  I'm not a fan of FF10, although it's better than the atrocity that is FF13.

Outbreak better than 4?
what the hell youve been smoking?
theres not a single game out for the PS2 or the Xbox that does what Rebel strike did
Metroid Prime and RE4 are unrivalled in their genres on the other ploatforms
dont care how many biased devs you quote
i have eyes to see what looks better or worst and knowledge to know what techs the game is pushing or not...

couldnt agree more

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

developers opinions are backed by facts and yours are not

Around the Network

my only fact is my eyes do you trust yours or not or some developers ?

they couldnt even know especialy team ninja which console is more powerful when they didnt even make one game for the GC..atleast not the same team that made ninja gaiden that goes for others also..its easy to claim that xbx is more powerful then GC when everyone see it on paper..and today we all are smarter and know thats not all. or are we ?

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

This thread just keeps going Can't believe people are still arguing about last gen.

It would have been interesting to see more devs push the Gamecube in the same way the X-box was utilised. It was just that bit harder to make games for and less financially feasible to put effort in. As a few others have said, Gamecube had capabilities the X-box did not have, but it was far easier for devs to utilise the X-box as it was essentially a PC.

It also had more developer support; just because more devs worked on X-box does not mean that they're correct when they say the X-box was the most powerful system. To be perfectly honest I can't call it between the two. Both consoles have games that just aren't possible on the other system in their current form. I don't see how anyone can claim one is more powerful than the other.

More powerful or not, the best Graphics Last gen are on Xbox.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Except the Xbox was the most powerful.

the xbox was the most powerful
the best grafix were on the GC

its like a 500bhp truck against a 300bhp Japanese sports car

yeah the most powerful, but not the best performer